The Student Room Group

got covid during gsces, need advice asap

ignore
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiyarubyjane
so my first gcse exam was today, i tested positive today as i wasnt feeling well yesterday and for the past few days my sister has been sick and we share a bed. my other sisters are also sick as they have been vomiting for a few hours now but they tested negative. my first gsce (re) exam today but they told me they’ll just give me my predicted grade. the problem is i have biology paper 1, english lang paper 1 and maths paper 1 but i’m worried i wont be able to sit it because i tested positive and my isolation is 5 days. my school has advised me to stay home until i’m fully negative. i’m confused as to how i’m gonna sit my exams after i’m negative because most likely i’ll be fine after 1 week. i had covid earlier this year in january but isolated for 2 weeks, can someone give me advice? i’m very lost rn and i’m just confused if theyre gonna give my predicted grades or not since its paper 1 for all the core subjects.

There are special plans for what will happen this year as many students are expected to have similar problems. When you are well you should return to school and take the rest of your exams. They will use the results you get for your remaining papers in the same subject to estimate the mark they think you would have got on the papers you have to miss. They will not give you your predicted or mock grade.
Reply 2
Hey, hope your feeling okay. Getting covid now seems really annoying but it happens! In our school, they told us that if we have to miss and exams due to covid, the results we get when we sit the paper 2s of the exams will be doubled (as if we got the same in paper 1). For example, if you miss Biology paper 1, you’ll be better in time to sit paper 2 and the marks you get in that will just be used twice (as if u get the same in each paper).
Again I’m not 100% sure about this but that’s what I’ve been told. Get well soon!
Original post by Samovar
Hey, hope your feeling okay. Getting covid now seems really annoying but it happens! In our school, they told us that if we have to miss and exams due to covid, the results we get when we sit the paper 2s of the exams will be doubled (as if we got the same in paper 1). For example, if you miss Biology paper 1, you’ll be better in time to sit paper 2 and the marks you get in that will just be used twice (as if u get the same in each paper).
Again I’m not 100% sure about this but that’s what I’ve been told. Get well soon!

I think you are nearly right but what they actually do is look at your mark in paper 2 and then compare it to other peoples results. So if you got a bit better than the average mark on paper 2, you'd get a bit better than the average from paper 1
(edited 1 year ago)
about the predicted grade thing, i didnt sit my re exam for christianity but theyre still giving me my predicted grade even though i still have an exam on islam, thats why i’m confused

They might have said that or you may have misheard what they said but that isn't how the examiners do it. You'll get an estimated mark for Christianity based on how well you do in Islam. Your exams person at school should be clear on the rules even if your subject teachers are uncertain.
(edited 1 year ago)
So if i miss an exam will get predicted grade as well. Im hella ill constant headache and vommiting. but mine is a levels
so my first gcse exam was today, i tested positive today as i wasnt feeling well yesterday but my siblings are also ill however they tested negative. my first gsce (re) exam today but they told me they’ll just give me my predicted grade. the problem is i have biology paper 1, english lang paper 1 and maths paper 1 but i’m worried i wont be able to sit it because i tested positive and my isolation is 5 days. my school has advised me to stay home until i’m fully negative. i’m confused as to how i’m gonna sit my exams after i’m negative because most likely i’ll be fine after 1 week. i had covid earlier this year in january but isolated for 2 weeks, can someone give me advice? i’m very lost rn and i’m just confused if theyre gonna give my predicted grades or not since its paper 1 for all the core subjects.

Your grade willl be worked out from the papers you do sit - you will not be given predicted grades. You don't have to isolate in England now ...
If you do at least 1 paper (Paper 2 for example), they'll calculate the average that other people who got the same in Paper 2 got in every paper, give it to you and calculate your grade.
Original post by ahmed423134ds
So if i miss an exam will get predicted grade as well. Im hella ill constant headache and vommiting. but mine is a levels

No - you will be graded on the papers you do sit.
i’m not sure, the headteacher emailed me and said he’s giving my predicted grade for RE because they guessing i’ll recover in 2 weeks.

Well he is wrong - no predicred grades this year - there's no need to self-isolate now in England.

You will not get your predicted grade.
For GCSE and A level an overall grade will be ESTIMATED based how how well you perform in the exams you do take in that subject. If you don't complete any of the assessments for a subject you won't get a grade at all. You need to inform the school and they need to satisfy themselves that you are not well enough to take exams.
i’m not sure, the headteacher emailed me and said he’s giving my predicted grade for RE because they guessing i’ll recover in 2 weeks.

It's a bit strange that a head teacher doesn't know what the procedure is.
Original post by gdunne42
You will not get your predicted grade.
For GCSE and A level an overall grade will be ESTIMATED based how how well you perform in the exams you do take in that subject. If you don't complete any of the assessments for a subject you won't get a grade at all. You need to inform the school and they need to satisfy themselves that you are not well enough to take exams.

what if i normally perform better in my unit 1 exams compare to the unit 2 exams? hows that fair
what if i normally perform better in my unit 1 exams compare to the unit 2 exams? hows that fair

I am not in a position to justify whether it's fair or otherwise. It is how it's done.

If you are a little under the weather but it's not covid you should take the exam and report your illness so an application for special consideration can be made that might slightly boost your marks.
(edited 1 year ago)
I am not in a position to justify whether it's fair or otherwise. It is how it's done.

If you are a little under the weather but it's not covid you should take the exam and report your illness so an application for special consideration can be made that might slightly boost your marks.

man im not sure what to do my head is killing me! Im doing wjec so it might be different?
man im not sure what to do my head is killing me! Im doing wjec so it might be different?

I assume you've tried over the counter headache remedies
I believe WJEC use exactly the same JCQ special consideration rules, they certainly have to for the EDUQAS exams then provide in England but I may be wrong.
https://www.wjec.co.uk/home/administration/special-requirements/#tab_0
(edited 1 year ago)
I believe WJEC use exactly the same JCQ special consideration rules, they certainly have to for the EDUQAS exams then provide in England but I may be wrong.

father emailed them 10 hours ago they havent replied so unsure of what to do tommorw

not to sure what do man if only i felt better
father emailed them 10 hours ago they havent replied so unsure of what to do tommorw

I'd phone now and ask to speak to the exams officer for advice.
They are probably still in as they get really busy at this time of year
Original post by Muttley79
Well he is wrong - no predicred grades this year - there's no need to self-isolate now in England.

I understand but the school have advised me to self isolate and i cannot go back to school until i’m negative because i have symptoms and they’re worried i might get other students who are taking the exam ill. So i’m not sure why they mentioned predicted grades? i think i’m most likely to be going back in 2 weeks as my symptoms are severe but my islam exam is next week. :/
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest