The Student Room Group

A level Exams 2022 Wales

Do examiners use previous Mark schemes and past paper questions in new exams, or do they usually come up with new questions? For subjects like A-level Biology and Chemistry
I just wanna know as I haven’t actually sat a proper exam in 2 years and im scared especially with Biology, I wanna know if the exam will be completely new, but surely there’s only so much they can ask you?
My exam board is WJEC
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They use new questions though some of them will only be a variation on a past one
Original post by EOData
They use new questions though some of them will only be a variation on a past one

Do you know if they’re similar style questions? As in different context but require the same criteria in answer
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by watermellone
Do you know if they’re similar style questions? As in different context but require the same criteria in answer

I'm not that familiar with WJEC but there can be a mixture. Your best bet is just to do as many past papers as you can.
Original post by EOData
I'm not that familiar with WJEC but there can be a mixture. Your best bet is just to do as many past papers as you can.

Ah okay, I’ve been using loads of past papers, just a bit worried lol esp with Bio
But thank you for the reply :smile:
Ah okay, I’ve been using loads of past papers, just a bit worried lol esp with Bio

are you doing AS or A-Level??
Original post by maddyloveridge1
are you doing AS or A-Level??

i'm in year 13 so a-level :smile:
Just sat as further maths today and there was only 1 ‘usual question’ it was a joke the paper was completely different to all past years
Original post by Sophieransom
Just sat as further maths today and there was only 1 ‘usual question’ it was a joke the paper was completely different to all past years

oh :-: i'm scared now..
today i just did my chemistry prac
Reply 9
Hi, can someone tell me how they are revising for the chemistry analysis paper wjec? I have no clue what or how to do revision for it? The past papers look so confusing!!!!!
CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT :frown:
Original post by MH2003
Hi, can someone tell me how they are revising for the chemistry analysis paper wjec? I have no clue what or how to do revision for it? The past papers look so confusing!!!!!
CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT :frown:

did you look at the advanced notice your teachers gave you?
it says aliphatic oxides which is like aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, esters, alcohols, amino acids, (most of unit 4 organic), so learn the obervations for that. As for redox titrations, you should do mol calculations from Unit 3, which is 3.2 i believe. Learn how to write half equations too from unit 3 :smile:
hope that helps
Reply 11
did you look at the advanced notice your teachers gave you?
it says aliphatic oxides which is like aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, esters, alcohols, amino acids, (most of unit 4 organic), so learn the obervations for that. As for redox titrations, you should do mol calculations from Unit 3, which is 3.2 i believe. Learn how to write half equations too from unit 3 :smile:
hope that helps

any good websites for that specifically for wjec? can anyone share?
Original post by MH2003
any good websites for that specifically for wjec? can anyone share?

WJEC blended learning has extra lessons and revision guides (although i would not solely rely on that if you have gaps in your knowledge)
textbook should be used to gain a solid understanding for each concept
do loads of past papers, loads on physics and maths tutor for individual topics
Original post by username5803408

How did you find Biol today?
Reply 14
I think it was okay. Wbu?

Original post by chembiolgeog
How did you find Biol today?
Original post by MH2003
I think it was okay. Wbu?

Not too great tbh, I messed up an awful lot of questions about the ATP and maths questions but I mean theres nothing I can do about it now!!
Not too great tbh, I messed up an awful lot of questions about the ATP and maths questions but I mean theres nothing I can do about it now!!

a lot of people walked out and left out half the paper😂 i answered everything but guessed most of it. I think it was the most difficult one compared to the 2017-2019 ones. I hated it tbh
Original post by Studentlife007
a lot of people walked out and left out half the paper😂 i answered everything but guessed most of it. I think it was the most difficult one compared to the 2017-2019 ones. I hated it tbh

Yeah i'm shocked by how many people on twitter were saying it was easy cause it rlly wasn't!! first question put me in a bad mood
Reply 18
what did everyone write for the five marker?
Yeah i'm shocked by how many people on twitter were saying it was easy cause it rlly wasn't!! first question put me in a bad mood

people saying it was easy?😂 hahahah yeah same, i kept skipping questions and then 20 minutes later i realised I was at the end of the paper so i had to start all over again and think of something to write

Quick Reply

Latest