The Student Room Group

cash app how does it work?

Hi any help would be much appreciated i have applied for DSA and to get a laptop but its very expensive £1700-1800 so ive looked to buy independently and found same laptop for £500 off marketplace as ive never bought through marketplace the seller asked for payment through cash app and ive never used that. he said that its safe and hed only receive payment once i receive my item and ive marked as received to cash app is this correct?
Original post by Tabby121
Hi any help would be much appreciated i have applied for DSA and to get a laptop but its very expensive £1700-1800 so ive looked to buy independently and found same laptop for £500 off marketplace as ive never bought through marketplace the seller asked for payment through cash app and ive never used that. he said that its safe and hed only receive payment once i receive my item and ive marked as received to cash app is this correct?

No. He is scamming you. NEVER pay through anything other than a website OR PayPal (NOT friends and family PayPal either- as they can take your money and run) reason being is websites and business PayPal allow your payment to be protected- cash app and PayPal F
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
i knew it was too good to be true thank u for this he even said i could collect it as hes busy with university exams? he said cashapp wont pay him till i receive the goods is that wrong?
I'd run a mile from a seller acting like that. The idea of using 3rd party banks like 'Cashapp' to send money to a stranger is hilariously dodgy.

BTW I don't know how DSA works, but I'd be v surprised if they would approve of this kind of purchase

A mins google brought up this

"Whether you’re hoping to score a purebred pup, a lease on a new apartment, or a concert ticket for a sold-out show, you should never agree to pay for it via Cash App. Scammers know that Cash App doesn’t provide buyer protection, so they are more likely to ask their victims to pay for fake items through the app. Once the unsuspecting users pay the fees, the fraudsters will disappear without handing over the items.

Cash App recommends not sending a payment to someone you don’t know and without verifying the item’s legitimacy" Readers Digest 2022
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your help . i have blocked this seller from everything as unfortunately he has my mobile number and name and made me download cash app i should've known better. when its cheap like that it seems too good to be true. i hope he doesn't use my number to scam me via cash app ive told cash app to delete my cash app account immediately
Original post by Tabby121
Thank you so much for your help . i have blocked this seller from everything as unfortunately he has my mobile number and name and made me download cash app i should've known better. when its cheap like that it seems too good to be true. i hope he doesn't use my number to scam me via cash app ive told cash app to delete my cash app account immediately

I deffo think you've made the right choice. The fact they were trying to send you to a location they wouldn't be at is a another red flag. By 'Marketplace' did you mean Facebook Marketplace? as it is deffo rife with scams.

If trying to laptop shop on a budget maybe try somewhere like CEX? They offer warranties on used goods and a proper receipt while accepting standard payment options.
Reply 6
yes facebook marketplace ive never bought from there dont even use fb im quite bare when it comes to socials. just like real life interaction really. ill be going back to DSA and will just pay in installments or wait till i get student finance help in september
Reply 7
i was doubting myself that if he genuinely isn't scamming and ive now reported him on marketplace fb it may backfire on me is that true or am i wrong? as i wouldn't want someones business gone because i was being cautious just everything he said on text isnt true as far as ive asked you all now and ive even messaged cash app too
I don't know if I'd have reported them to FB or even CashApp, as they haven't done anything overtly illegal or contrary to their assumed terms and conditions... yet. I would just choose to not do business with them and move on without letting them live rent free in my head.
Reply 9
i guess i jumped the gun in anxiety their im sure FB will investigate first they wont just suspend a seller till there's proof there going against the guidelines? but im worried now ill be in trouble for reporting if theres no scam i just clicked block and report without thinking twice as everything they told me was untrue as far as ive been told now by you all and cash app themselves

Quick Reply

Latest