The Student Room Group

King's or Birmingham

I've received unconditional offers from King's College London and the University of Birmingham for Liberal Arts. I'm really stuck and can't seem to find a top choice as I love both.

Birmingham has such a friendly atmosphere and the course has so much breadth and choice however King's is in an incredible location and although there is less subject choice the modules look great.

Does anyone have any advice? :smile:
That's a tough one! Would cost of living be a factor at all? If not, I'd personally choose King's just because of the location. I really enjoyed living in central London when I was a student. Once you start working, it's much harder to afford living in those areas because rent for non-student accommodation is geneally higher and you pay council tax.

What about other factors like possibility of year in industry/research or particular clubs, societies or charities you could get involved in? And have you been to open days at both? Sometimes just visiting unis can give you a sense for where you're more likely to feel more at home.

It might also be worth writing down a list of most important factors for you and then scoring both unis on them to see which scores higher.

Ultimately, they're both good unis and there is no right or wrong choice here. Once you start at one, I'm sure you'll pretty soon forget about the other!
Reply 2
Original post by micholate9
That's a tough one! Would cost of living be a factor at all? If not, I'd personally choose King's just because of the location. I really enjoyed living in central London when I was a student. Once you start working, it's much harder to afford living in those areas because rent for non-student accommodation is geneally higher and you pay council tax.

What about other factors like possibility of year in industry/research or particular clubs, societies or charities you could get involved in? And have you been to open days at both? Sometimes just visiting unis can give you a sense for where you're more likely to feel more at home.

It might also be worth writing down a list of most important factors for you and then scoring both unis on them to see which scores higher.

Ultimately, they're both good unis and there is no right or wrong choice here. Once you start at one, I'm sure you'll pretty soon forget about the other!

Thanks so much for your quick response I really appreciate it! Where did you study in London?

In terms of cost of living, I'm on a gap year so I've got a bit of savings from working. I'd probably live at home and commute to King's in the second year and maybe even the third year too as my parents live 1 hour away from London. So hopefully that would help with the cost of London. However at Birmingham I'd rent for the whole time but the cost of living is a lot cheaper, and the rent is really cheap for 2nd and final year.

I like that at both unis I can do a study abroad. At Birmingham its a mandatory year abroad in the 3rd year however at King's its an optional 6 months. Both of those opportunities are really exciting! I also love the societies at both- Birmingham has better facilities but King's still has all the societies I'd like to join.

I went to a Birmingham open day and loved it! The people were so nice and the campus was so green and pretty. At King's I've only been able to do a campus tour of Strand which was great but it was with a lot of parents and younger kids rather than offer holders which was a bit disappointing. They are fully booked up for their offer holder campus tours sadly.

Thanks so much for your help! I totally agree that there isn't a bad choice- just struggling to choose 1 as they are both unconditional!
Original post by rachxx64
Thanks so much for your quick response I really appreciate it! Where did you study in London?

In terms of cost of living, I'm on a gap year so I've got a bit of savings from working. I'd probably live at home and commute to King's in the second year and maybe even the third year too as my parents live 1 hour away from London. So hopefully that would help with the cost of London. However at Birmingham I'd rent for the whole time but the cost of living is a lot cheaper, and the rent is really cheap for 2nd and final year.

I like that at both unis I can do a study abroad. At Birmingham its a mandatory year abroad in the 3rd year however at King's its an optional 6 months. Both of those opportunities are really exciting! I also love the societies at both- Birmingham has better facilities but King's still has all the societies I'd like to join.

I went to a Birmingham open day and loved it! The people were so nice and the campus was so green and pretty. At King's I've only been able to do a campus tour of Strand which was great but it was with a lot of parents and younger kids rather than offer holders which was a bit disappointing. They are fully booked up for their offer holder campus tours sadly.

Thanks so much for your help! I totally agree that there isn't a bad choice- just struggling to choose 1 as they are both unconditional!

I studied at Imperial. I loved living in South Kensington. I don't think I'd ever get the chance to do that again!

It seems like you've already put a lot of thought into this! I'm not sure if I have anything more helpful to add! All the best with your decision. You still have some time to mull over it. I wish you the best in whichever uni you end up picking! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by micholate9
I studied at Imperial. I loved living in South Kensington. I don't think I'd ever get the chance to do that again!

It seems like you've already put a lot of thought into this! I'm not sure if I have anything more helpful to add! All the best with your decision. You still have some time to mull over it. I wish you the best in whichever uni you end up picking! :smile:

Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by rachxx64
Thanks so much :smile:

sorry to hijack the thread but where did you end up going? i’m in a similar position although i don’t have any offers yet as i have just sent my ucas haha

Latest

Trending

Trending