The Student Room Group

retaking two A-levels

I'm currently a year 12 student , on track to being predicted A*AA/A*A*A , however I am going back a year to restart two of my a levels, continuing the one through to year 13 due to my mental health significantly depleting
I feel incredibley sad to have to go back , but there's no possible way i can continue with my studies at the moment with the way- I knwo that this will be the best option for me so that i can use the free time I'll now have to get in a better place mentally in preperation for the next academic year where i'll be able to give it my very best shot
Going back in two of my subjects will mean that I'm still at sixth form whilst my current friends / peers have left . Also when I start uni I wont be with anyone my age most likely
I know this sounds so pedantic ,and obnoxious but I keep thinking I'm ruining stuff for myself ,and that I'm not fulfilling this idealistic plan i was once following that no longer exists .
I just fear I'll be alone , and that , that feeling will stick with me forever
do what's better for your mental health, you sounds like your doing amazing so keep it up don't feel bad for re-taking two of them, good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Also when I start uni I wont be with anyone my age most likely...

Many people (about 10%, I think) take a gap year between A-levels and university anyway. Also, two people can have been born on adjacent days and be a whole school year apart anyway. Equally, they can have been born 365 days apart and be in the same school year. So I wouldn't worry at all about the age thing.

I don't want to pry, but I'm curious at to how you can be "on track to being predicted A*AA/A*A*A" yet at the same time for there to be "no possible way i can continue with my studies at the moment". Presumably your mental health has deteriorated rapidly and that view of your predicted grades is from when you were healthy?

As has been said above, focus on your mental health right now. You're not "ruining stuff for myself" - you're trying to heal. You wouldn't be so hard on yourself if it was you physical health which needed to recover, would you?
Original post by randompanda_
do what's better for your mental health, you sounds like your doing amazing so keep it up don't feel bad for re-taking two of them, good luck!

Thankyou for your kind words :smile:
Original post by DataVenia
Many people (about 10%, I think) take a gap year between A-levels and university anyway. Also, two people can have been born on adjacent days and be a whole school year apart anyway. Equally, they can have been born 365 days apart and be in the same school year. So I wouldn't worry at all about the age thing.

I don't want to pry, but I'm curious at to how you can be "on track to being predicted A*AA/A*A*A" yet at the same time for there to be "no possible way i can continue with my studies at the moment". Presumably your mental health has deteriorated rapidly and that view of your predicted grades is from when you were healthy?

As has been said above, focus on your mental health right now. You're not "ruining stuff for myself" - you're trying to heal. You wouldn't be so hard on yourself if it was you physical health which needed to recover, would you?

Thanks so much for your response ! Also your not prying at all , reading my original post back does undoubtedly seem confusing , hence I'll attempt to explain it a little better hopefully . Despite my current predicted grades from my school being good , I'm off school at the moment and consequently missing lessons- which is fine as I'm going back in two subjects so there's no need for me to do any work in those subjects- However if i were to continue with all my studies in my current situation I'd miss several lessons and fall majorly behind making it almost impossible for me to maintain my current predicted grades without them being subject to change . It sounds quite confusing , but hopefully this may of cleared it up .
I'm currently a year 12 student , on track to being predicted A*AA/A*A*A , however I am going back a year to restart two of my a levels, continuing the one through to year 13 due to my mental health significantly depleting
I feel incredibley sad to have to go back , but there's no possible way i can continue with my studies at the moment with the way- I knwo that this will be the best option for me so that i can use the free time I'll now have to get in a better place mentally in preperation for the next academic year where i'll be able to give it my very best shot
Going back in two of my subjects will mean that I'm still at sixth form whilst my current friends / peers have left . Also when I start uni I wont be with anyone my age most likely
I know this sounds so pedantic ,and obnoxious but I keep thinking I'm ruining stuff for myself ,and that I'm not fulfilling this idealistic plan i was once following that no longer exists .

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you're having a bit of a tough time. It really not as uncommon as you think to go back and start your levels again and going back into year 12 will likely give you the opportunity to make new friends as well as keeping your current ones. Also, with regards to uni there are a variety of people of different ages, some have taken a gap year or two or have decided to wait before jumping into uni and I don't think I ever experienced anyone finding it difficult being with students a few years older/ younger!

I'm sure you'll do great!

Eleanor
-Student Ambassador
You’ll only be a year older than your year which is not too bad, plus once ur older it’s practically the same age and you’ll make new friends too!
I did Year 13 twice.

Yeah it was a bit of a bummer being stuck in college with everyone else going off to uni, but it quickly became no big deal, and the year passed by very quickly.

It really wasn't that bad, and it made no impact on my life in the long run whatsoever.
Reply 8
Hi! I also was going through a difficult time during my A-Levels and ultimately had to take a gap year to resit many(!!!) exams. I felt behind and that I have ruined my future, probably similar to what you are going through. But I have now graduated from University with a first class degree. I will say, when you apply for jobs, especially graduate schemes, they do not ask you why, or even notice, why it took you 3 years to finish a-levels. I have never been asked this question!
Also, I remember I was also worried about being a year older than everyone in Uni - once you get to uni, it feels like everyone is the same age. I didn't notice that I was older, and I had friends even older than myself that felt like they were the same age as me. You will be okay. Future you will be glad that you took an extra year to help your situation when you hopefully get the a-level grades you want! :smile:
Original post by FHA1
Hi! I also was going through a difficult time during my A-Levels and ultimately had to take a gap year to resit many(!!!) exams. I felt behind and that I have ruined my future, probably similar to what you are going through. But I have now graduated from University with a first class degree. I will say, when you apply for jobs, especially graduate schemes, they do not ask you why, or even notice, why it took you 3 years to finish a-levels. I have never been asked this question!
Also, I remember I was also worried about being a year older than everyone in Uni - once you get to uni, it feels like everyone is the same age. I didn't notice that I was older, and I had friends even older than myself that felt like they were the same age as me. You will be okay. Future you will be glad that you took an extra year to help your situation when you hopefully get the a-level grades you want! :smile:

Thankyou so much for your response , this feels so relieving to hear ! Also WOW congratulations on your first class degree , that's absolutely incredible . Once again , thankyou for your response it's so relieving to hear !

What is your age?
What is your age?

Currently 16
Currently 16

You'll only be a year older
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I did Year 13 twice.

Yeah it was a bit of a bummer being stuck in college with everyone else going off to uni, but it quickly became no big deal, and the year passed by very quickly.

It really wasn't that bad, and it made no impact on my life in the long run whatsoever.

Did you go straight to uni after? take a gap year?
Original post by Michelle Qcute
Did you go straight to uni after? take a gap year?

I'd intended to go straight to uni, but my other half lost his job, and as we were living together by then (we moved in together when I was 18), I had to defer my place at uni and get a full time job for the year, as we had bills to pay.

So I was 20 when I started uni. They held the place for me.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'd intended to go straight to uni, but my other half lost his job, and as we were living together by then (we moved in together when I was 18), I had to defer my place at uni and get a full time job for the year, as we had bills to pay.

So I was 20 when I started uni. They held the place for me.

Ahh I’m sorry to hear that I’m glad things worked out x

Did you’re college give you predicted grades?
Original post by Michelle Qcute
Ahh I’m sorry to hear that I’m glad things worked out x

Did you’re college give you predicted grades?

Honestly cannot remember, it was a long time ago. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest