The Student Room Group

Holding bladder for 2 hours? Advice needed

I have to invigilate for exams and won't be able to use the toilet for possibly 2+ hours. This is giving me anxiety because I've suffered with bladder issues in the past (it's better now) but can still sometimes end up needing to go at inconvenient times (even when I've been beforehand). Any tips for things I can do to help myself? Should I drink?
Surely if you need to go, you need to go! I'd mention it to one of the other team and let them know you'll be going to the toilet if you need to. If you don't wanna' do that then drinking (unless it's loads) won't make a difference if it's all in your head. Maybe try reading up on things... quick google search https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/signs/peeing-problems#:~:text=If%20you%20find%20yourself%20feeling,especially%20when%20you%20stand%20up.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by drumdrumdrum
Surely if you need to go, you need to go! I'd mention it to one of the other team and let them know you'll be going to the toilet if you need to. If you don't wanna' do that then drinking (unless it's loads) won't make a difference if it's all in your head. Maybe try reading up on things... quick google search https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/signs/peeing-problems#:~:text=If%20you%20find%20yourself%20feeling,especially%20when%20you%20stand%20up.

Good luck :smile:

It's not very easy to leave the room when you're invigilating :frown: and in one of the exams I'm on my own with a student and the last time I did that I ended up needing the toilet pretty early into the exam (and there was nobody I can could contact for help - stressful!) Thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by eldorado14
It's not very easy to leave the room when you're invigilating :frown: and in one of the exams I'm on my own with a student and the last time I did that I ended up needing the toilet pretty early into the exam (and there was nobody I can could contact for help - stressful!) Thank you for the advice :smile:

Totally understand that, must be a right nightmare for you. I do still believe you could spend some time looking into ways to calm your mind and take control of it instead of it controlling you?? Worth a shot maybes :smile:
Original post by eldorado14

You absolutely should not be in a position where you can't get help. If there was a JCQ inspection they would not be happy. If you are likely to need a break tell the exams coordinator and ask for someone to pop in temporarily half way through the exam.
My advice for dealing with a full bladder: food.

I don't invigilate, but I find that on a full stomach (very fibrous/dietary fibre rich foods) I tend to need to urinate much less.

That being said, you can bet yourself you'll be emptying a full trunk when you're done :rofl:
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
You absolutely should not be in a position where you can't get help. If there was a JCQ inspection they would not be happy. If you are likely to need a break tell the exams coordinator and ask for someone to pop in temporarily half way through the exam.

Completely, there was no runner and not even a number for the exams office in the exams pack. Thanks, I am going to :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest