The Student Room Group

GCSE ENGLISH LANG 2022 paper 1 pls mark this

november paper 2018 paper 1 aqa
q2

the writer uses language in this extract to describe the tyrannosaurus as a large scary creature. arms with hands which might pick up and examine men like toys” The writer has used a hyperbole here to describe the T-rex as enormous and not normal at all. The use of the simile in that quote “examine men like toys” portrays that the trex is not familiar with humans and would be very confused in their presence. The writer has therefore displayed the trex to sound unimaginably huge and as a creature that the group should be afraid of and avoid.

The writer also describes the tyrannosaurus as a feature which opposes danger to humans. He describes the trex in this way in the phrase exposing a fence of teeth like daggers” again the writer has used a simile to describe the trex as a murderous, bloody, killer. The noun “daggers” is a weapon used to stab people so the writer has made trex sound fierce and aggressive and conveyed the trex as an intimidating killing machine which should not be around humans at all.
Reply 1
Original post by justrynagetrich
november paper 2018 paper 1 aqa
q2

the writer uses language in this extract to describe the tyrannosaurus as a large scary creature. arms with hands which might pick up and examine men like toys” The writer has used a hyperbole here to describe the T-rex as enormous and not normal at all. The use of the simile in that quote “examine men like toys” portrays that the trex is not familiar with humans and would be very confused in their presence. The writer has therefore displayed the trex to sound unimaginably huge and as a creature that the group should be afraid of and avoid.

The writer also describes the tyrannosaurus as a feature which opposes danger to humans. He describes the trex in this way in the phrase exposing a fence of teeth like daggers” again the writer has used a simile to describe the trex as a murderous, bloody, killer. The noun “daggers” is a weapon used to stab people so the writer has made trex sound fierce and aggressive and conveyed the trex as an intimidating killing machine which should not be around humans at all.

Hey, not going to mark it but will give some advice :]

For the first paragraph you would be better wording it as "hyperbolic language" rather than a hyperbole as there is no clear singular hyperbole. Eg.

The writer describes the tyrannosaurus within this extract as a large, terrifying creature. This is shown when the writer states it has, "arms with hands which might pick up and examine men like toys." The writer has used hyperbolic language to describe the tyrannosaurus as enormous and abnormal. The use of a simile within the quotation ("examine men like toys") serves to display the t-rex's lack of familiarity with humans and thus their presence serves to confuse him. Therefore, the writer displays the t-rex as being unimaginably large, and a creature that the group should be afraid of, and should avoid.

Just makes it sound cleaner!
Original post by Qrki
Hey, not going to mark it but will give some advice :]

For the first paragraph you would be better wording it as "hyperbolic language" rather than a hyperbole as there is no clear singular hyperbole. Eg.

The writer describes the tyrannosaurus within this extract as a large, terrifying creature. This is shown when the writer states it has, "arms with hands which might pick up and examine men like toys." The writer has used hyperbolic language to describe the tyrannosaurus as enormous and abnormal. The use of a simile within the quotation ("examine men like toys") serves to display the t-rex's lack of familiarity with humans and thus their presence serves to confuse him. Therefore, the writer displays the t-rex as being unimaginably large, and a creature that the group should be afraid of, and should avoid.

Just makes it sound cleaner!

Yes thanks a lot for that advice it does sound a lot clearer. i really struggle to think what the effect of a language device is on the description of a thing. i always understand how a language device effects a reader but that’s not what question 2 asks. have any advice ? thanks
The writer uses language in this extract to describe the tyrannosaurus as a large, frightening creature through the quote arms with hands which might pick up and examine men like toys.” The writer has used a hyperbole here to describe the T-rex as enormous and abnormal. The use of the simile in that quote “examine men like toys” portrays that the trex is not familiar with humans and would be very confused in their presence. The writer has therefore portrayed the trex to sound unimaginably huge and as a creature that the group should be afraid of and avoid.

The writer also describes the tyrannosaurus as an organism which poses a danger to humans. He describes the trex in this way in the phrase “exposing a fence of teeth like daggers.” Again, the writer has used a simile to describe the trex as both murderous and dangerous. The noun “dagger'' is a weapon used to stab people so the writer has made trex sound fierce and aggressive and conveyed the trex as an intimidating killing machine which should not be around humans at all.

Hello! Good attempt with these paragraphs. Well done.
Please, try to use higher level language, for instance ‘scary - frightening’
Under no circumstances should you use informal language such as ‘Killing machine.’

But ensure you understand the meaning of the words you’re choosing to use.
Some of the vocabulary you are using does not make sense in the sentence.

Apologies if this sounds harsh, I just want to make sure you understand.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by IamConfusedlol
The writer uses language in this extract to describe the tyrannosaurus as a large, frightening creature through the quote arms with hands which might pick up and examine men like toys.” The writer has used a hyperbole here to describe the T-rex as enormous and abnormal. The use of the simile in that quote “examine men like toys” portrays that the trex is not familiar with humans and would be very confused in their presence. The writer has therefore portrayed the trex to sound unimaginably huge and as a creature that the group should be afraid of and avoid.

The writer also describes the tyrannosaurus as an organism which poses a danger to humans. He describes the trex in this way in the phrase “exposing a fence of teeth like daggers.” Again, the writer has used a simile to describe the trex as both murderous and dangerous. The noun “dagger'' is a weapon used to stab people so the writer has made trex sound fierce and aggressive and conveyed the trex as an intimidating killing machine which should not be around humans at all.

Hello! Good attempt with these paragraphs. Well done.
Please, try to use higher level language, for instance ‘scary - frightening’
Under no circumstances should you use informal language such as ‘Killing machine.’

But ensure you understand the meaning of the words you’re choosing to use.
Some of the vocabulary you are using does not make sense in the sentence.

Apologies if this sounds harsh, I just want to make sure you understand.

No don’t worry not at all. I do want harsh marking so i can understand what to adjust before tomorrows exam. So i should use higher level language and vocabulary. is my structure of my answer okay i use this PRTEZEL technique point reference technique explain zoom explain link? thanks alottttt
Reply 5
Yes thanks a lot for that advice it does sound a lot clearer. i really struggle to think what the effect of a language device is on the description of a thing. i always understand how a language device effects a reader but that’s not what question 2 asks. have any advice ? thanks

No problem! I actually had a different exam board for gcse, I did ccea. So I'm not overly familiar with the questions that aqa ask, but if question 2 is asking you the effect a language device has a on a description, I think you've got the right kind of idea based on what you already have written.

Focus on the devices and techniques they use. eg hyperboles, similes, etc and really focus on how that helps as a description. You seem to already know this, so just make sure you stay focused on the question and focused on the description. I believe you could still incorporate readers. eg. "The hyperbolic language used displays enormous size of the creature. This would emphasise the sheer size of the creature to the reader." But the last sentence is really not necessary if you're not being asked to focus on the reader. Just focus on using what the writer says and developing their techniques etc to create an idea of what the creature looks like for the examiner, to prove that you're really understanding what the author is saying :smile:
Reply 6
No don’t worry not at all. I do want harsh marking so i can understand what to adjust before tomorrows exam. So i should use higher level language and vocabulary. is my structure of my answer okay i use this PRTEZEL technique point reference technique explain zoom explain link? thanks alottttt

Also to add onto this, higher level language and vocabulary does look better! However, do not use words that you're unsure of what they mean. It's better to use simpler words correctly than advanced vocabulary incorrectly. :smile:
Original post by Qrki
No problem! I actually had a different exam board for gcse, I did ccea. So I'm not overly familiar with the questions that aqa ask, but if question 2 is asking you the effect a language device has a on a description, I think you've got the right kind of idea based on what you already have written.

Focus on the devices and techniques they use. eg hyperboles, similes, etc and really focus on how that helps as a description. You seem to already know this, so just make sure you stay focused on the question and focused on the description. I believe you could still incorporate readers. eg. "The hyperbolic language used displays enormous size of the creature. This would emphasise the sheer size of the creature to the reader." But the last sentence is really not necessary if you're not being asked to focus on the reader. Just focus on using what the writer says and developing their techniques etc to create an idea of what the creature looks like for the examiner, to prove that you're really understanding what the author is saying :smile:

thanks for taking the time to take a look at this. i struggle with finding high vocabulary and langauage to use like the word u used ‘sheer’ in an exam i wouldn’t have thought of that. what do you think i can do to learn stronger vocabulary for tmro. i understand it’s rlly late 😂😂
Original post by Qrki
Also to add onto this, higher level language and vocabulary does look better! However, do not use words that you're unsure of what they mean. It's better to use simpler words correctly than advanced vocabulary incorrectly. :smile:

yes i agree thanks for helping me. this question is out of 8 marks. i understand that u work with a different exam board so it may be different but with the adjustments made what mark would u think is appropriate for this answer. i don’t mind you being harsh i want to be realistic about tmro. thanks
Reply 9
thanks for taking the time to take a look at this. i struggle with finding high vocabulary and langauage to use like the word u used ‘sheer’ in an exam i wouldn’t have thought of that. what do you think i can do to learn stronger vocabulary for tmro. i understand it’s rlly late 😂😂

It genuinely comes with practice and reading! If you can find any example answers online and read a few, you should be able to pick up some terms from people in the correct context! If you had a bit more time I would say just reading more books or news articles in general can enhance your vocabulary as you subconsciously pick up words you wouldn't normally use! You would probably have time to read a few articles or example answers!
Original post by Qrki
It genuinely comes with practice and reading! If you can find any example answers online and read a few, you should be able to pick up some terms from people in the correct context! If you had a bit more time I would say just reading more books or news articles in general can enhance your vocabulary as you subconsciously pick up words you wouldn't normally use! You would probably have time to read a few articles or example answers!

Thank you u have been very helpful i will try to read high grade answers and familiarise myself with their vocabulary. would u be able to have a look at my q3 that i have just written up the question is : How has the writer structured the text to interest you as a reader?
Reply 11
yes i agree thanks for helping me. this question is out of 8 marks. i understand that u work with a different exam board so it may be different but with the adjustments made what mark would u think is appropriate for this answer. i don’t mind you being harsh i want to be realistic about tmro. thanks

Do you mean for your original post or if you make adjustments? I'm not really sure as I don't know the mark scheme at all, so I'm not overly aware of what they give and take marks for.

Without knowing much about the mark scheme, your original answer isn't bad! I would say it would at least get you a 4 or 5 as you've shown clear skill to take quotations and analyse them to draw appropriate conclusions. With adjustments such as just using your terms correctly, could definitely go up to a 6 or 7. You don't need to use super-advanced vocabulary for higher marks, although it helps. This may be a bit inaccurate as I'm not sure which standards GCSEs are held to. :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you u have been very helpful i will try to read high grade answers and familiarise myself with their vocabulary. would u be able to have a look at my q3 that i have just written up the question is : How has the writer structured the text to interest you as a reader?

I'll have a look if I can find it on your profile. :smile:
Original post by Qrki
Do you mean for your original post or if you make adjustments? I'm not really sure as I don't know the mark scheme at all, so I'm not overly aware of what they give and take marks for.

Without knowing much about the mark scheme, your original answer isn't bad! I would say it would at least get you a 4 or 5 as you've shown clear skill to take quotations and analyse them to draw appropriate conclusions. With adjustments such as just using your terms correctly, could definitely go up to a 6 or 7. You don't need to use super-advanced vocabulary for higher marks, although it helps. This may be a bit inaccurate as I'm not sure which standards GCSEs are held to. :smile:

yes i kind of agree with the marking my original post is probs 4/8 and adjusted is probably 6/8 i have uploaded the mark scheme u can look at if u want to change ur mind to give ur lower or higher im not sure how to mark. i’m posting my question 3 on soon just typing it up right now thanks alot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending