The Student Room Group

Idk what to do

I can't decide my a levels. I definitely know I want to psychology and religious studies but I can't decide between physics or applied science. Has anyone done applied science? I don't really know much about it as I've never done a btec before. Also I don't know what I want to do in the future. I'm just picking subjects I like.
BTEC applied science is basically gcse science with extra bits
Reply 2
Original post by username54
BTEC applied science is basically gcse science with extra bits

Oh okay ty. Also weird question but do you know if I have to be really good at science to take applied science? Right now I'm getting grade 9 for physics, grade 5 for biology and grade 4 for chemistry. Will I still be capable of doing well in applied?
Original post by _Robyn_
Oh okay ty. Also weird question but do you know if I have to be really good at science to take applied science? Right now I'm getting grade 9 for physics, grade 5 for biology and grade 4 for chemistry. Will I still be capable of doing well in applied?

Nope, I'm so bad at science but i know what's going on.
Original post by _Robyn_

You'll be fine if you put in extra revision
If you like physics, then I think you should take that since you're really good at it! Maybe maths too...
Reply 6
Original post by Cant.be.asked
If you like physics, then I think you should take that since you're really good at it! Maybe maths too...

That's the thing. I'm not sure if I even like physics. I have a good teacher so it might just be that...
Original post by _Robyn_
... if I have to be really good at science to take applied science?

Its a BTEC.
Its designed to be less academic than A levels.
Its a good preparation for an apprenticeship or traineeship in something vaguely 'sciencey'.
If you want to do an academic degree then choose 3 A levels.

How to Choose 6th Form subjects - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _Robyn_
That's the thing. I'm not sure if I even like physics. I have a good teacher so it might just be that...

Ok, since you're choosing RS and psychology, then I'd assume you like essay-subjects...so English? History? Only take physics if you really enjoy it, but I think you'd also have to take maths with it so something to consider? Depends really on what you want to do at uni or career you want to pursue.
Original post by Cant.be.asked
Only take physics if you really enjoy it, but I think you'd also have to take maths with it

Physics without Maths or another science subject is essentially a wasted A level as its never required as an isolated subject.

Quick Reply

Latest