The Student Room Group

Gothic Kitten Leaving TSR

Hi guys, I have some news I want to share with you all today.

After seven years at The Student Room, I wanted to let you all know that Gothic Kitten has left The Student Room.Gothic Kitten has been an ever-present presence on TSR and I want to take the space here to say how appreciated her work has been in keeping the site functioning and safe over that time.

I know that many of you will have had a close relationship and connection with Gothic Kitten on site so wanted to let you know about this change as soon as we could.

We still take the safeguarding and safety of our users on site extremely seriously, and the impact of this decision has been mitigated with a reshuffle and increase in available moderation hours for other members of the moderation team. I also apologise if this is missed by some users, I realise that we don’t have the perfect way of sharing news that is relevant for some but not all users.

Please do feel free to ask any questions you have. If you have messages or well wishes you would like to pass on I can make sure they reach.

EH.

Scroll to see replies

That's sad... you were a nice mod GK :biggrin:. I wish you all the best! :u:.
Reply 2
Goodbye Gothic Kitten :hello:
Goodbye Gothic Kitten and good luck for the future!
Fingers crossed that you will come visit TSR every now and again. :crossedf:
Reply 4
Good bye Gothic Kitten and thanks for all the help on this site :biggrin:
Thank you for the lovely little meets :heart:

You've done so much for this site as I've said already, it will be a loss without you
Original post by Evil Homer

After seven years at The Student Room, I wanted to let you all know that Gothic Kitten has left The Student Room.Gothic Kitten has been an ever-present presence on TSR and I want to take the space here to say how appreciated her work has been in keeping the site functioning and safe over that time.

I know that many of you will have had a close relationship and connection with Gothic Kitten on site so wanted to let you know about this change as soon as we could.

We still take the safeguarding and safety of our users on site extremely seriously, and the impact of this decision has been mitigated with a reshuffle and increase in available moderation hours for other members of the moderation team. I also apologise if this is missed by some users, I realise that we don’t have the perfect way of sharing news that is relevant for some but not all users.

Please do feel free to ask any questions you have. If you have messages or well wishes you would like to pass on I can make sure they reach.

EH.

Carefully worded, that: "Gothic Kitten has left The Student Room"...

I think you will feel her absence acutely in the coming months. I know that we all will.

A worrying, but fundamentally foreseeable development in the current transition of TSR.
We still take the safeguarding and safety of our users on site extremely seriously, and the impact of this decision has been mitigated with a reshuffle and increase in available moderation hours for other members of the moderation team.

EH, can you be more detailed about this? Will you be either recruiting a replacement, or moving an existing member of staff into GK's position, including all of her hours (and then recruiting a replacement for them)? In other words, will GKs exit result in an overall decrease in the overall resource for moderation, in terms of man-hours? I'm asking this because it's hardly a secret that TSRG is in considerable financial distress, and it would be a worrying development if a decision to not fully replace GK but try to spread her workload out over the remaining staff due to financial constraints resulted in (a) worse, less timely moderation, and (b) an exit of more moderation staff due to unreasonable pressures caused by the extra workload.
Original post by Reality Check
EH, can you be more detailed about this? Will you be either recruiting a replacement, or moving an existing member of staff into GK's position, including all of her hours (and then recruiting a replacement for them)? In other words, will GKs exit result in an overall decrease in the overall resource for moderation, in terms of man-hours? I'm asking this because it's hardly a secret that TSRG is in considerable financial distress, and it would be a worrying development if a decision to not fully replace GK but try to spread her workload out over the remaining staff due to financial constraints resulted in (a) worse, less timely moderation, and (b) an exit of more moderation staff due to unreasonable pressures caused by the extra workload.

As I hope you can understand I'm in no position to detail the exact schedules and staffing rotations of our moderation team or resource.

However as I have stated previously The Student Room is commited to safeguarding and moderation on site and have implemented internal solutions to allow this to continue in light or recent changes. There will not be an overall decrease in the moderation resource.

EH
I understand that you are limited as to what you can say on the public forum, and I would of course not expect you to give me a detailed breakdown of rotas, but I"m not asking for that.

There will not be an overall decrease in the moderation resource.

Does that mean that there will be no overall decrease in the moderation resource in terms of the number of manhours allocated to this task?
A genuine shame, @Gothic Kitten I sincerely appreciate you for everything you have done over the many years you have moderated the site and trawled through the report queues, sometimes at unsociable hours, always trying to be as fair as possible. I always appreciated how patient you were with me over the years, especially when I didn't always get it right (and let's be honest, I often didn't!).

You are probably one of the key people at TSR that has had the most profound and meaningful impact here in terms of keeping the community safe and it's a great shame to see you go. Thank you for everything you have done and wishing you all my best!!! For those of you that don't know GK, she's a living legend!
Original post by Reality Check
I understand that you are limited as to what you can say on the public forum, and I would of course not expect you to give me a detailed breakdown of rotas, but I"m not asking for that.

Does that mean that there will be no overall decrease in the moderation resource in terms of the number of manhours allocated to this task?

I can confirm this.
What a shame.

Best of luck for the future.
I've been brewing on this for a while, and I am compelled to make this post to recognise how influential GK has been on this community for nearly a decade.

When TSR brought moderation in-house and made the report queue only accessible to paid staff, GK was there. GK was there when the "mods" became the Support Team and when the Support Team became the Volunteer Team. When the counting threads were being plagued by PinkTeddy accounts and the chat forum was filled with Baba ji spam threads - GK cleaned it up. When 3am TSR had troll threads targeting individual users with vicious and hurtful comments and even privacy breaches - GK sorted it out. When thousands of people queried why they had a card or their post was binned - GK answered. When there were so many reports it used to take 2 days to have a report reply, GK was there fighting the good fight. When young people were in serious need, GK made sure their TSR posts were in the right place for them to get help.

GK has been a constant in this community for my TSR-lifetime. Without GK the Faith and Spirituality forum would not currently exist, nor the Mental Health forum for that matter. GK worked with at least 4 different staff members responsible for safeguarding at TSR (Queen Cersei, Captain Jack BlinkyBill, Pink Unicorn) over the years and without GK's constant presence there may well have been some issues when handovers took place. GK deals with everything that gets thrown at the mods with the patience that a teacher would dream of, acts with such authority that a police officer would be envious, and conducted themselves with the professionalism to bring a tear to HR's eyes. I sounds very flamboyant when I say this but I mean it very sincerely. Gothic Kitten has been the best of TSR for as long as I've known this site. No matter what gripes you may have with the company, the site, other users, other decisions. Anyone who knows anything about this place knows that GK has been utterly bloody outstanding, fair, reasonable, and consistent.

I am especially grateful for working closely with GK over the past year to develop better standards of discussion in D&CA and also to bring the mod team and Volunteers closer together in working to develop the communities on this site.

I am writing this post to help express the longevity of GK's work to this site for anyone who hasn't been around as long, and also to say one big bloody thank you to @Gothic Kitten. You will be missed. :cry2:
Original post by 04MR17
I've been brewing on this for a while, and I am compelled to make this post to recognise how influential GK has been on this community for nearly a decade.

When TSR brought moderation in-house and made the report queue only accessible to paid staff, GK was there. GK was there when the "mods" became the Support Team and when the Support Team became the Volunteer Team. When the counting threads were being plagued by PinkTeddy accounts and the chat forum was filled with Baba ji spam threads - GK cleaned it up. When 3am TSR had troll threads targeting individual users with vicious and hurtful comments and even privacy breaches - GK sorted it out. When thousands of people queried why they had a card or their post was binned - GK answered. When there were so many reports it used to take 2 days to have a report reply, GK was there fighting the good fight. When young people were in serious need, GK made sure their TSR posts were in the right place for them to get help.

GK has been a constant in this community for my TSR-lifetime. Without GK the Faith and Spirituality forum would not currently exist, nor the Mental Health forum for that matter. GK worked with at least 4 different staff members responsible for safeguarding at TSR (Queen Cersei, Captain Jack BlinkyBill, Pink Unicorn) over the years and without GK's constant presence there may well have been some issues when handovers took place. GK deals with everything that gets thrown at the mods with the patience that a teacher would dream of, acts with such authority that a police officer would be envious, and conducted themselves with the professionalism to bring a tear to HR's eyes. I sounds very flamboyant when I say this but I mean it very sincerely. Gothic Kitten has been the best of TSR for as long as I've known this site. No matter what gripes you may have with the company, the site, other users, other decisions. Anyone who knows anything about this place knows that GK has been utterly bloody outstanding, fair, reasonable, and consistent.

I am especially grateful for working closely with GK over the past year to develop better standards of discussion in D&CA and also to bring the mod team and Volunteers closer together in working to develop the communities on this site.

I am writing this post to help express the longevity of GK's work to this site for anyone who hasn't been around as long, and also to say one big bloody thank you to @Gothic Kitten. You will be missed. :cry2:

To be honest I’ve been struggling to put some words of appreciation together since I heard the news. I couldn’t have done any better than this.

Although nearly all of my interaction with @Gothic Kitten has been via my grumpy comments in report notes, they have been an an absolute superstar.

It is a testament to GK’s contributions that most TSR users don’t have to consider how bad things would be without them.

I wish them the very best going forward.
Original post by 04MR17

Quite right too. +1

EH.

Do please pass good wishes to GK - I hope it's a 'running to' not a 'running from' and that new horizons and challenges await. Best wishes.
Original post by Lysistrata
Do please pass good wishes to GK - I hope it's a 'running to' not a 'running from' and that new horizons and challenges await. Best wishes.

All comments will be brought together and sent on.
Original post by 04MR17

Totally agree. Gothic kitten’s help has been invaluable to me and to many TSRians.

Wherever gothic goes I wish them luck. Any company would be proud to have such a person.

Shedding a tear or two today as a legend departs.
should not the appropriate response be excited for your future and best decision ever! Christ i feel like this whole thread is apologetic and i'm getting suspicious.

Latest

Trending

Trending