The Student Room Group

gcse's needed for unis like UCL, KCL, LSE etc

Hi! I'm currently doing my gcses and I want to go on to do Law at a Russel group uni (top choice is UCL!) The alevels I've picked are History, English Lit and Government and politics. I just wanted to ask if these gcse grades would set me back from other candidates or even from applying to these unis.
Since im in the middle of gcse's right now my predicted grades are: 999877766 and the grades I hope to get are: 999987777 since its been three months since my mocks and I believe that I've improved!
Do you think I could get in? Or do these uni's even look at gcse's?
As long as you've passed English and Maths, that's all they'll be bothered about.

Your A Levels are what they'll be bothered about.
Original post by lovrcide
Hi! I'm currently doing my gcses and I want to go on to do Law at a Russel group uni (top choice is UCL!) The alevels I've picked are History, English Lit and Government and politics. I just wanted to ask if these gcse grades would set me back from other candidates or even from applying to these unis.
Since im in the middle of gcse's right now my predicted grades are: 999877766 and the grades I hope to get are: 999987777 since its been three months since my mocks and I believe that I've improved!

Some of these top Unis do look at GCSEs for Law and will say so on their websites. It sounds like your GCSE grades will be fine though and your A level subjects are also good ones though Law has no required subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
As long as you've passed English and Maths, that's all they'll be bothered about.

Your A Levels are what they'll be bothered about.

okay great, thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
Some of these top Unis do look at GCSEs for Law and will say so on their websites. It sounds like your GCSE grades will be fine though and your A level subjects are also good ones though Law has no required subjects.

thank you so much!!

They mostly care about A-Levels subject suitability and grades attained at A-level. But your GCSE grades seem solid as well. LAw is high competiton but you are a stong candidate.

Heya! I'm currently doing masters at UCL so glad to hear more people are coming !:smile: Well done on the good work! Universities do look at GCSE's but more importantly they look at a-levels, personal statement and if needed an admissions test and an interview (usually Russel group universities may have them so you'll need to double check). The GCSE's tend to have a lower weighing compared to the other components of application (but you should be fine with such grades!) Have you thought about what A-levels you will do? I would recommend checking the UCL Law degree page and see what they require and what grades.
In addition, if it helps I could recommend you these free resources to help you with your revision for now and in the future! Additionally if in the future you are looking for 1-1 tutors for your A-levels, do check out this page!
Hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
Study Mind
Reply 7
Original post by riyaadh149
They mostly care about A-Levels subject suitability and grades attained at A-level. But your GCSE grades seem solid as well. LAw is high competiton but you are a stong candidate.

thank you soo much!!!
Reply 8
Original post by Medic Mind
Heya! I'm currently doing masters at UCL so glad to hear more people are coming !:smile: Well done on the good work! Universities do look at GCSE's but more importantly they look at a-levels, personal statement and if needed an admissions test and an interview (usually Russel group universities may have them so you'll need to double check). The GCSE's tend to have a lower weighing compared to the other components of application (but you should be fine with such grades!) Have you thought about what A-levels you will do? I would recommend checking the UCL Law degree page and see what they require and what grades.
In addition, if it helps I could recommend you these free resources to help you with your revision for now and in the future! Additionally if in the future you are looking for 1-1 tutors for your A-levels, do check out this page!
Hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
Study Mind

Thank you so much for the resources!! Ive been using them for the past few hours and they've helped so much! The A-levels i'm going to do are: History, English Literature, Government and politics and Classical civilisations! (although im debating on whether or not to do the fourth one since a lot of people say that four alevels arent worth it).
Thank you so much for the response and the help!!
Reply 9
update : got 9,9,9,9,9,8,7,6,6 in my gcses and am currently predicted A*A*A* in my A-levels and an A* in in EPQ!

Quick Reply

Latest