The Student Room Group

UCAS points - A level equivelent

I am thinking of applying to a university foundation year course that has a requirement of 72 UCAS points. In the entry requirements tho it says I must have these points from at least 2 A levels or equivalent. But the problem is i have gotten my 82 points from a BTEC level 3 foundation diploma that only is equivalent to 1.5 A levels. would this still be accepted because I have the points? or would it be declined just because of the specific qualification I got it from ;-(
In most cases it does need to be a qualification that they ask for because they focus on the course content and whether it makes someone suitable / prepared for the degree level work - do they say that they accept BTEC's in their requirements? If you're unsure, email or call the University :smile:
They will probably want the equiv. of two A levels - but the only way to find out is to phone/email that Uni and check.
The reason that they may want A levels in particular is because A levels are far more exam + classroom based while BTEC focus a lot more on coursework as well as practical content. BTECS and A levels are quite different for those reasons mostly, and I know that a bunch of degree courses don't accept BTECs at all, regardless of how many points it's worth or how close it is to the degree subject because the UCAS points are meaningless if the BTEC doesn't prepare you properly for the degree level work of the course. In the 'Grade Requirements' section they usually state under A level requirements whether they accept BTEC qualifications, what type and which grade you need, or if 'BTEC qualifications are not accepted for this course'.

You could call / email them definitely to check, but it's worth keeping that in mind. I completed a Level 3 BTEC and am going to Uni in September so its not the be-all-end-all if you don't get into that Uni, there are plenty of other great ones out there! :smile:
Original post by JustGettinBy
In most cases it does need to be a qualification that they ask for because they focus on the course content and whether it makes someone suitable / prepared for the degree level work - do they say that they accept BTEC's in their requirements? If you're unsure, email or call the University :smile:

yeah that accept btecs, but it might be the case of having a btec that gives you the equivelent of 2 A levels like an extended diploma would, unfortunately, im doing a foundation diploma that only gives 1.5 A levels rip lol
Original post by revo349
yeah that accept btecs, but it might be the case of having a btec that gives you the equivelent of 2 A levels like an extended diploma would, unfortunately, im doing a foundation diploma that only gives 1.5 A levels rip lol

But again, BTEC and A-Levels are completely different kinds of qualifications so even if a BTEC is 'equivalent' to a certain amount of A-Levels roughly, it's nothing like A levels so you can't use that as a form of measurement strictly to A levels even if it's a similar or same subject because degree level work is a lot more academic than practical. If they accept a BTEC qualification usually they state a grade like a requirement of DD, DM, MM etc or if it's a level 3 diploma only that they're looking at and not foundation level - do they not have that on their course info? (Or sometimes they say you need a foundation + an A level or something like that)

I'd email them honestly to get some solid clarity on your ability to get in, ask them about your chances of getting an offer despite having lower grades or alternatively maybe look at other Uni's for more options.
Original post by JustGettinBy
But again, BTEC and A-Levels are completely different kinds of qualifications so even if a BTEC is 'equivalent' to a certain amount of A-Levels roughly, it's nothing like A levels so you can't use that as a form of measurement strictly to A levels even if it's a similar or same subject because degree level work is a lot more academic than practical. If they accept a BTEC qualification usually they state a grade like a requirement of DD, DM, MM etc or if it's a level 3 diploma only that they're looking at and not foundation level - do they not have that on their course info? (Or sometimes they say you need a foundation + an A level or something like that)

I'd email them honestly to get some solid clarity on your ability to get in, ask them about your chances of getting an offer despite having lower grades or alternatively maybe look at other Uni's for more options.

good news! i got in contact with 2 of the unis im looking at and they both accept my BTEC as long as i get a certian grade which i can easily do ;-)) W
Original post by revo349
good news! i got in contact with 2 of the unis im looking at and they both accept my BTEC as long as i get a certian grade which i can easily do ;-)) W

Congrats! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending