The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by woodybuzz
Anyone able to point me towards bmat preparation please?

@becausethenight
I don't think there's a 2023 entry thread for BMAT, shall I make one and tag you?
:woo:how did I miss that, I need to up my checking if a thread has already been made skills
Hmmm says invalid thread so far… my son just did ucat and post interview rejections (one waiting list for Sheffield). If we do again will prob also do bmat😳
hiya, anyone that has recently sat the ucat can you please give detail to the best ways to revise, low long for, what resources etc? :smile:
Hiya, I was hoping someone could explain the thought process behind the two attached SJ questions as the explanation still wasn’t clear to me.

A33953AB-2C28-4AE1-88ED-A393856510E3.jpeg 8D57C4FF-2CA0-484C-ABD5-01DB87D65AED.jpeg

For the first one, would the fact that he may be exposing his wife to an STI and therefore she should have the right to be told not enough of a mitigating factor to make this c rather than d?

For the second one, wouldn’t an unkempt appearance be unprofessional regardless of whether or not he is operating as well as his fatigue potentially impairing his medical and professional judgement be enough to make the fact that he isn’t operating of minor importance rather than important?

Cheers x
Original post by Chi chi5
Hiya, I was hoping someone could explain the thought process behind the two attached SJ questions as the explanation still wasn’t clear to me.

A33953AB-2C28-4AE1-88ED-A393856510E3.jpeg 8D57C4FF-2CA0-484C-ABD5-01DB87D65AED.jpeg

For the first one, would the fact that he may be exposing his wife to an STI and therefore she should have the right to be told not enough of a mitigating factor to make this c rather than d?

For the second one, wouldn’t an unkempt appearance be unprofessional regardless of whether or not he is operating as well as his fatigue potentially impairing his medical and professional judgement be enough to make the fact that he isn’t operating of minor importance rather than important?

Cheers x

For the first one, I think it's because if confidentiality must be breached, the patient should be informed of this beforehand if at all possible, and should also be encouraged to share this info with his wife, so it would be very inappropriate for his wife to interpret the conversation since the wife would effectively know about the breach before the patient does if that makes sense? I'm not quite sure how to explain it but really they should get someone else unrelated to the patient to translate, that way a) the patient gets the chance to tell his wife himself and b) the patient is informed that confidentiality needs to be breached before the actual breach occurs. Just my thoughts, I'm sure someone else can give a better explanation
Original post by bea_murray0
For the first one, I think it's because if confidentiality must be breached, the patient should be informed of this beforehand if at all possible, and should also be encouraged to share this info with his wife, so it would be very inappropriate for his wife to interpret the conversation since the wife would effectively know about the breach before the patient does if that makes sense? I'm not quite sure how to explain it but really they should get someone else unrelated to the patient to translate, that way a) the patient gets the chance to tell his wife himself and b) the patient is informed that confidentiality needs to be breached before the actual breach occurs. Just my thoughts, I'm sure someone else can give a better explanation

Ahhh true, thank you of course
Original post by Chi chi5

Cheers x

1st one: patient has right to confidentiality, they can choose who they share information with. Particularly in cases with sensitive information and when you don't know the full relationship between patient and next of kin it is better to have another individual in the room as you don't know how they react. Having patients relatives as a translator also brings issues with them not necessarily translating directly word for word what is being said or chances of withholding information- in general family members shouldn't be used as translators

2nd: (it's hard to read screenshot so am basing my answer on your comment and what I could make out of text) unkempt appearance is unproffesional, however I get the impression that if he's not operating he might not be seeing any patients at all and then if that is the case then it doesn't matter so much how he looks. Sometimes on SJT things can be borderline and you could argue one way or the other for things- what was the websites explanation for it?
Original post by AzureCeleste
1st one: patient has right to confidentiality, they can choose who they share information with. Particularly in cases with sensitive information and when you don't know the full relationship between patient and next of kin it is better to have another individual in the room as you don't know how they react. Having patients relatives as a translator also brings issues with them not necessarily translating directly word for word what is being said or chances of withholding information- in general family members shouldn't be used as translators

2nd: (it's hard to read screenshot so am basing my answer on your comment and what I could make out of text) unkempt appearance is unproffesional, however I get the impression that if he's not operating he might not be seeing any patients at all and then if that is the case then it doesn't matter so much how he looks. Sometimes on SJT things can be borderline and you could argue one way or the other for things- what was the websites explanation for it?

Thank you so much, ah I made the assumption he was still seeing patients.

9 Explain Answer
Answer: B

This is somewhat important. If Dr Peters was due to operate
on patients, then his tiredness may pose a risk to patient
safety. However, even if he is not operating, he may still be
making important clinical decisions in his day to day work,
which may be affected if he is not in a fit state to work.
Therefore, the answer is B and not A.
(edited 1 year ago)
When is the best time to start revising?
In my case, I started properly revising around a month and a half before the exam, though I think now that 3-4 months is a better time period. Some people recommend not to start way too early like 9 months plus for example, as then you can forget skills that you first learned.
Original post by Elsdents

6-8 weeks is recommended, it is an exam you can overprepare for, hence no more than 8 weeks, 3-4 months of prep is definitely not a good idea!
I agree with all the advice on here about not burning out but also important to bear in mind you as a person, I started a bit earlier than most people because I'm someone who likes to feel over prepared and feel like I have enough time. I think you can start a little bit early doing little and often which is what worked best for me:smile: it's a really individual thing but burnout can happen so if you are thinking of starting a bit earlier than some people, make sure not to go too heavy too soon!
Hi, current 5th year in Scotland. My exams will be over on the 20th of May and I would like to slowly begin preparing for the UCAT however I'm not sure how to.. There is no particular syllabus that needs to be learned so what resources should I use? Thanks.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6864776

Medify is what most people use but, personal experience from last year, the Decision Making & SJT is different compared to the official UCAT Question Bank so it's advisable to prepare using both.
Original post by Elsdents

I think at least 8 weeks before the exam, and then gradually increase it with time. It seems like that is what is recommended for UCAR preparation online
I am new to the forum and sorry for asking these questions

VR is my weak area
Any tips/ideas on improving the VR skills and getting 700-750

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Enoris
I am new to the forum and sorry for asking these questions

VR is my weak area
Any tips/ideas on improving the VR skills and getting 700-750

Thanks in advance.

Here are some previous posts that gave some really great advice:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=96718366&postcount=30

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=96901954&postcount=107
Thanks @KA_P
I will look at these.

Also please can someone suggest , when one should start preparring for UACT and how much to study?
Original post by Enoris
Thanks @KA_P
I will look at these.

Also please can someone suggest , when one should start preparring for UACT and how much to study?

6-8 weeks, I did about an hour a day on average but started off with less and then did more full mocks nearer to the test date.

Latest

Trending

Trending