The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent vs University of Birmingham for law

Having visited both universities, I liked Kent better than Birmingham, but on the other hand, Birmingham is a red brick university, and a founding member of the Russell Group.

If I select Kent over Birmingham, I am not sure how it would affect my career prospects.

Another reason for me to prefer Kent is that the course I applied for is Law and Philosophy. I think it would be beneficial for me in terms of growing intellectually and simultaneously pursuing my passion for understanding and applying law .

Could anyone please help me out ASAP?

PS I also hold offers from York and Reading but I have narrowed it down to Kent and Birmingham.
I have a kinda skewed opinion , I'd go for York over the other three unis. But, you've already narrowed it down to Kent and Birmingham. My advice to you would be to compare the modules and check what you're missing out on or what you're gaining on at either uni. Then compare the unis itself and then the cities. As far as the title of "RG Uni" goes , don't pay too much heed to it. What matters is how comfortable you are at uni and how the course material influences you , in particular.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by abhinair3004
I have a kinda skewed opinion , I'd go for York over the other three unis. But, you've already narrowed it down to Kent and Birmingham. My advice to you would be to compare the modules and check what you're missing out on or what you're gaining on at either uni. Then compare the unis itself and then the cities. As far as the title of "RG Uni" goes , don't pay too much heed to it. What matters is how comfortable you are at uni and how the course material influences you , in particular.

Thank you for replying. Could you please weigh in on the career prospects in law for both unis?
Original post by kkokmloi
Thank you for replying. Could you please weigh in on the career prospects in law for both unis?

Honestly , the unis are the last thing they see when they select you. The only difference there might be in job prospects is if one uni arranges more career fairs and has a better support system than the other. This kind of info can only be provided to you by an erstwhile student of those unis. But , imo the opportunities in Birmingham might be a lot better than Kent.
Reply 4
Original post by abhinair3004
Honestly , the unis are the last thing they see when they select you. The only difference there might be in job prospects is if one uni arranges more career fairs and has a better support system than the other. This kind of info can only be provided to you by an erstwhile student of those unis. But , imo the opportunities in Birmingham might be a lot better than Kent.

Is this true - I thought top Russell's were over represented at law firms especially in London checking statistics.
Kent has excellent career prospects in law. There are many networking events with law firms/people in profession throughout the year, careers fair is really great as well as general support from the Careers Department. Plus, there are several internships and work experience placements in legal sector that are available exclusively for Kent students. Take a look at some EP Scheme rewards for this year, I saw many opportunities available there: https://www.kent.ac.uk/employabilitypoints/reward-applications-18/EP-Rewards-Pack-2018.pdf This Scheme is unique to Kent and no other university in the UK has identical opportunities.

As Kent student I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Relaxxx
Is this true - I thought top Russell's were over represented at law firms especially in London checking statistics.

The only difference is that RG unis would be able to attract the Magic Circle firms for career fairs and stuff, which other smaller unis might not be able to do
Reply 7
I have narrowed my choices to Kent and Birmingham as well. I’m leaning towards Birmingham but Kent sounds so good especially for the teaching.
Original post by ACaba
I have narrowed my choices to Kent and Birmingham as well. I’m leaning towards Birmingham but Kent sounds so good especially for the teaching.

Hey @ACaba!

I'm really happy to hear you're considering Kent! I'd love to field any questions you may have about the course :smile:

Law at Kent is highly respected. As a University, Law at Kent scored 88% overall and was ranked 9th for research intensity in The Complete University Guide 2022. Law at Kent was ranked 15th in The Guardian University Guide 2022. The University provides options to get involved in real legal practice and assist real clients through Kent Law Clinic Alongside other co-curricular activities including lawyering skills modules in Mooting, Mock Trial Advocacy, and Negotiation. What previous students loved the most was our Professional Mentoring System which connects you with a mentor in the legal profession, in an area that you're most interested in. Having these connections is invaluable when it comes to getting advice during and after University. These chances at getting real-world experiences is what helps our students stand out amongst the crowd once they graduate. I have a link to a previous thread here which answers some questions about our famous mentoring scheme! :biggrin:

I hope this helps - but feel free to ask questions!!

Nathan
UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending