The Student Room Group

Gap Year Gang

Who's taking a gap year and what do you plan to do in it??

Scroll to see replies

I wanna take one before going to the 2nd year but I'm not entirely sure yet
Original post by HoTchoColaTe125
Who's taking a gap year and what do you plan to do in it??

me before I go to Huddersfield uni. I want some experience in the optical field before I go and study optometry.
Original post by Shinya_Kogami
I wanna take one before going to the 2nd year but I'm not entirely sure yet

2nd year of uni?! I didn't know you could do that
Original post by Aathira N
me before I go to Huddersfield uni. I want some experience in the optical field before I go and study optometry.

wow that sounds cool what is Optometry never heard of it.

ooo that's a very interesting field.. wishing you the best!
wow that sounds cool what is Optometry never heard of it.

It's about eye care and treating eye disorders, when you go to the opticians this is the degree that they would have had to do
2nd year of uni?! I didn't know you could do that

Me too but I think its possible applying through UCAS what year you want a gap year in, howver since UCAS application is closed for me since i started uni I don't know how i could get a gap year
Me too but I think its possible applying through UCAS what year you want a gap year in, howver since UCAS application is closed for me since i started uni I don't know how i could get a gap year

maybe talk to your uni to discuss about deferring your place or studies.
It's about eye care and treating eye disorders, when you go to the opticians this is the degree that they would have had to do

wow thats sounds interesting, have you so I'm guessing your taking a gap year right now?
wow thats sounds interesting, have you so I'm guessing your taking a gap year right now?

no, I have my final a level exams right now, my Gap year is 2022-2023, then I start uni at 2023. I deferred it on UCAS
maybe talk to your uni to discuss about deferring your place or studies.

yeah maybe, however I don't if its too late since its the end of first year, plus and don't know if my parents will approve of it.
no, I have my final a level exams right now, my Gap year is 2022-2023, then I start uni at 2023. I deferred it on UCAS

ahh UCAS, I wish i could've thought about that when I was back in sixth form last year
ahh UCAS, I wish i could've thought about that when I was back in sixth form last year

I would say if you really want a gap year then contact your university about it. I'm sure they'll be happy to help
yeah maybe, however I don't if its too late since its the end of first year, plus and don't know if my parents will approve of it.

I would say, it's worth a shot in contacting. Also, the gap year is for you, not your parents and ultimately it's your future that your trying to improve, so I would say if you really want it go for it!
(Original post by Aathira N)I would say, it's worth a shot in contacting. Also, the gap year is for you, not your parents and ultimately it's your future that your trying to improve, so I would say if you really want it go for it!

yeah i'll keep that in mind, thanks and good luck with your studies
I'm going to defer and offer and try and get a job at my local book shop :smile:
I want to spend the year reading around my subject and working on some machine learning projects. Also my family is moving countries in a couple years so I want an opportunity to spend some time with them before that happens.

Also I want to re-apply to Ox / St.A but the uni I have an offer from (Glasgow) looks quite nice so I won't be devastated if I dont get in to Ox / St.A again
Original post by ivywalkerrr
I'm going to defer and offer and try and get a job at my local book shop :smile:
I want to spend the year reading around my subject and working on some machine learning projects. Also my family is moving countries in a couple years so I want an opportunity to spend some time with them before that happens.

Also I want to re-apply to Ox / St.A but the uni I have an offer from (Glasgow) looks quite nice so I won't be devastated if I dont get in to Ox / St.A again

Wow seems like you've got a good structure going on... good luck on your re application!!
you mention machine learning projects is that to do with engineering?
Wow seems like you've got a good structure going on... good luck on your re application!!
you mention machine learning projects is that to do with engineering?

Thank you ^_^ It's more programming and CS but yeah I think Engineer is the title given to a lot of ppl who work on ML systems. I'm not doing any big project though, just a few things with friends and some pet projects to do with reinforcement learning
Reply 19
Original post by ivywalkerrr

I don't think you can apply again to other unis if you are holding a deferred offer.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/when-apply/deferred-entry

Quick Reply

Latest