The Student Room Group

How many of you used the priest story...

Had a chat with the people ik from school and online. Quite a lot of people used the priest story from MR EVERYTHING ENGLISH. My teacher said it is considered plagiarism so no marks will be awarded.

Scroll to see replies

Didn't do the exam, but you can't steal a public, prewritten story from online and get away with it, regardless of how many use it.
Reply 2
Original post by SagaciousSag
Didn't do the exam, but you can't steal a public, prewritten story from online and get away with it, regardless of how many use it.

Nah i wrote about something else
Original post by Oongie
Nah i wrote about something else

At least you did. I meant an impersonal you.
Reply 4
At least you did. I meant an impersonal you.

Yeah, sorry i always justify myself when someone says you regardless of the context :frown:
Need an answer to this. I did Section A relatively well and i think scored pretty well on there. BUT on Q5 I used the priest story but tweaked it. However, i stupidly forgot to make it a "life changing event" as he ended in hell. However, i included loads of ambitious vocab and punctuation but I'm sooooo scared i may lose marks as its not quite life changing, but at the start of the story he finds out he goes to heaven so could that be classed as life changing. but the fact he ends in hell really annoys me and i really hope to get a 7 minimum because that's my target.

Please can someone reply.
Broooo what do i do?? I used the plot not one single word from the story itself just the plot!!
What I did was use the plot and in the beginning he collapsed during mass and at the end he wakes up in a hospital and his grandchild runs to get her mum while saying grandpa is awake and I saved him with a magic kiss. Will that count as plagiarism?
(edited 1 year ago)
don't worry then the grade boundaries will be lowered.

But the story wasn't prewrittern, he just shared an idea and presumably everyone who used it tweaked it to their own liking - would it still be regarded as plaigarism?
Reply 10
Original post by Joe-mama21
But the story wasn't prewrittern, he just shared an idea and presumably everyone who used it tweaked it to their own liking - would it still be regarded as plaigarism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwDrYcMhglg
why not just write your own story? Do people really lack imagination to such an extent?? That's sooo sad

Im not gonna lie, as soon as they see anything about a priest they might just disregard your whole story, it just depends how aqa have told the examiners to judge stories which have the preach story
also need a reply to this.
if you just had a plot just the idea of what the priest did but the actual story is purely your ideas (i didnt even watch the video he created of him writing it out just in case if i get influenced subconsciously) and i used good vocab and punctuation i edited consistently - is that fine? story i changed the ending in and added a few things in
Original post by dahlia06
also need a reply to this.
if you just had a plot just the idea of what the priest did but the actual story is purely your ideas (i didnt even watch the video he created of him writing it out just in case if i get influenced subconsciously) and i used good vocab and punctuation i edited consistently - is that fine? story i changed the ending in and added a few things in

See thats what I'm sayin, we didn't copy word for word and we adapted it into our own imagination, Mr Everything English did not even write the entire answer so why is that considered plagiarism
Reply 15
Your q5 might still lose marks due to unoriginality whilst Q5s from other candidates might be marked higher as their stories will be refreshing
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by superweird_200
Im not gonna lie, as soon as they see anything about a priest they might just disregard your whole story, it just depends how aqa have told the examiners to judge stories which have the preach story

that doesnt make sense, how would that be fair?
it was just a plot in most cases, sure maybe someone actually copied the prewritten story he wrote, but disregarding a whole story because of a copied plot which in turn is about one sentence of what goes on in summary? absolutely not, that's impossible and it is worrying a lot of students included myself

See thats what I'm sayin, we didn't copy word for word and we adapted it into our own imagination, Mr Everything English did not even write the entire answer so why is that considered plagiarism

exactly, i dont understand why everyone is said its plagiarism if you copied the other video he wrote about him actually writing it yh fine but the plot? seriously? it isnt even that deep, its purely our ideas with a bit of help and we all obviously adapted the ending and the actual content of it- unnecessary worrying and for what
Original post by Oongie
Your q5 might still lose marks due to unoriginality whilst Q5s from other candidates might be marked higher as their stories will be refreshing

hm yh well again, i dont think i agree with this- ill give u an example. remember that old man in the description a few years ago? im sure at least 60-70% of students based of his wrinkles on a similar thing to each other, i was on a live yesterday and a teacher who i think is an examiner said she was continuously getting weird descriptions of the man's nose structures- yeah it was weird to watch but it is unreasonable for her to mark down if she had seen the same idea repeated
Original post by Oongie

Once my teacher was talking about how she marked mocks or something and the everyone wrote a really similar story about being chased by a man with an axe or something and how she got so bored, they are supposed to mark positively but they might unconsciously mark you down after seeing the same thing again and again. She also said that in some schools they teach the students a story and they all advised to use it in their exam however that’s only like 150 people out of hundreds of thousands so it wouldn’t really matter, I’m not sure how many people actually used it, probably quite a few in my year, but personally the idea of writing about priest and heaven and hell I wasn’t keen on the religious aspect so I stuck with description.

just thought id send this in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjpB4-82sqE&ab_channel=MrEverythingEnglish

Quick Reply

Latest