The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Unit-1 Physics

How did your exams for physics go?
Reply 1
Original post by Archock

I was wondering because I'm pretty sure I failed it. I'm guessing right now that It would be about 30-40% of the paper. I wasn't fully focussed due to other circumstances and the questions (to me seemed) were much harder than the past papers.
Original post by Archock

A vertical momentum question that has never been on any pass paper but apart from that just a slightly difficult past paper compared to others really
Reply 3
Original post by MrLuke123
A vertical momentum question that has never been on any pass paper but apart from that just a slightly difficult past paper compared to others really

Could be. I had bad planning and didn't really sleep too long today. So my mind was sort of out of it.

Specially that pythagoras question regarding drones... I was in the middle of the exam drawing rules of angles and 3 different thetas to calculate displacement :/
Original post by Archock

I know some people hated it, a girl who sat the paper next to me started bursting out in tears after the exam
Reply 5
I know some people hated it, a girl who sat the paper next to me started bursting out in tears after the exam

Tell her she's not alone. That was probably the hardest exam I've sat in my life in terms of how confusing it was. I'll probably need like 90% Unit 2 just for a B
Reply 6
I found it good for the most part. Challenging, but I think I did well. I did forget to mention the anti-baryons though did reference anti-protons. That drone question was difficult to follow but made sense after staring at it for a while. From what I hear from other students, some found it okay but many really struggled.
Original post by Archock

I think it went alright, worried about my calculations a bit but generally I thought it was okay
Original post by jwlko
I found it good for the most part. Challenging, but I think I did well. I did forget to mention the anti-baryons though did reference anti-protons. That drone question was difficult to follow but made sense after staring at it for a while. From what I hear from other students, some found it okay but many really struggled.

Where we suppose to mention that they can be "anti-baryons" looking at a past paper question that was similar it didn't say you had to. how did you get the question of the drone right, that was the only question I struggled with
Reply 9
Where we suppose to mention that they can be "anti-baryons" looking at a past paper question that was similar it didn't say you had to. how did you get the question of the drone right, that was the only question I struggled with

Basically if you put the numbers it gave you into the formula you got 20N and thats the force of the drone on the air (its change in momentum). This also means the force of air on the drone is 20N. If the drone is hovering (at rest) then its weight must be 20N.

Then for the next question, use the new velocity in yhe equation and you get a greater force. This is once again the force of drone on the air and the air on the drone. So you will get a resultant upwards force on the drone. Find the drones mass using its weight from the previous question, then find the acceleration of the drone using F=ma.
Original post by Archock
Tell her she's not alone. That was probably the hardest exam I've sat in my life in terms of how confusing it was. I'll probably need like 90% Unit 2 just for a B

I felt exactly the same, the hardest part for me was reading and understanding what the questions wanted me to do, I found the wording of parts of it so bizarre. I ran out of time half way through the paper and now feel like I'd be lucky to get 20%
Reply 11
Original post by Raynbow
I felt exactly the same, the hardest part for me was reading and understanding what the questions wanted me to do, I found the wording of parts of it so bizarre. I ran out of time half way through the paper and now feel like I'd be lucky to get 20%

Damn, you should've sat the Wjec Pure Math Unit-1 Paper. These Wjec guys have properly gone insane. That was even worse than this 💀🔫. It literally had things that weren't meant to be in the paper.

Regarding physics though, I completely agree. It really required complete and thorough understanding of forces in particular, which is difficult as it isn't taught properly enough. Especially as we had missed a large portion of Year 11 Physics.

And, they really did try their best to make it as confusing as possible.

I'm assuming that they had these papers ready for 2020 and they moulded the 2022 spec after the paper rather than the other way. Afterall, I'd imagine it takes a lot of money to make a full paper. No one in their right minds would think: "oh these guys haven't had a good year 10 or 11 and don't understand things properly, so let's make the papers twice as worse :smile:"

Oh well, we are going to have to retake exams in Y13 :/

I'm going to have bring out some crazy 500 page physics and math book written by some mad scientist now to fully understand everything from the basics to the top for the next exam. I'd suggest you do the same lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending