The Student Room Group

Cant get a job bc of bad A-levels but a first in my masters and undergraduate.

I did bad in my Alevels (B,C,D) but have a 1st in an econ degree and master's.

I've applied to around 180 jobs over 6 months since graduating and had a handful of interviews but no offers.

Many of the jobs have minimum UCAS points which I don't reach so I'm assuming that my application auto fails despite me now having way better qualifications.

Should I start lying regarding my A level grades and any advice on finding an actuarial or banking job would be really appreciated.
You should absolutely not lie about your A Levels, this will be picked up upon in background checks, and what happens then? Not only does your offer get taken away, you will likely be blacklisted from a whole slew of firms.

You're right, your A-Level grades are less than ideal for banking, they usually look for ABB or above. It is unfortunate that you're not getting any offers despite superior qualifications. Do you have prior experience? Internships? You might want to start there. Get another entry level job that's more realistic with your grades and then move into your desired field.

I think your issue right now is you have bad A-level grades and no experience. But if you get experience, no one will care.
Reply 2
Original post by wiseowlz72
You should absolutely not lie about your A Levels, this will be picked up upon in background checks, and what happens then? Not only does your offer get taken away, you will likely be blacklisted from a whole slew of firms.

You're right, your A-Level grades are less than ideal for banking, they usually look for ABB or above. It is unfortunate that you're not getting any offers despite superior qualifications. Do you have prior experience? Internships? You might want to start there. Get another entry level job that's more realistic with your grades and then move into your desired field.

I think your issue right now is you have bad A-level grades and no experience. But if you get experience, no one will care.

Thanks for your reply. Have you got advice on how to break into this role? I feel that even after working a different route I will still be gatekeeped out of the role bc of the A level problem.
Original post by econbuck

I've applied to around 180 jobs over 6 months since graduating and had a handful of interviews but no offers.

Many of the jobs have minimum UCAS points which I don't reach so I'm assuming that my application auto fails despite me now having way better qualifications.

Should I start lying regarding my A level grades and any advice on finding an actuarial or banking job would be really appreciated.

No don't lie about your A-levels. Just don't put your A-levels on your CV.
What sort of jobs are you applying for? Certainly cut off for a levels are used by some companies but they really are not that common in most sectors.

Do you meet cut offs for GCSE maths and English?
Thanks for your reply. Have you got advice on how to break into this role? I feel that even after working a different route I will still be gatekeeped out of the role bc of the A level problem.

It really depends what kind of role within banking you're looking at? I don't see why they would keep you out of retail banking, but other areas like commercial, corporate, and investment banking will be very tricky (if not impossible) to break into as a junior with no experience.

My advice is that you get a job that is suitable to your skills and qualifications, and then move. I don't think you will be gatekept out when you have experience.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
What sort of jobs are you applying for? Certainly cut off for a levels are used by some companies but they really are not that common in most sectors.

Do you meet cut offs for GCSE maths and English?

bit of a variety but mostly banking and consulting roles.
Reply 7
Original post by wiseowlz72
It really depends what kind of role within banking you're looking at? I don't see why they would keep you out of retail banking, but other areas like commercial, corporate, and investment banking will be very tricky (if not impossible) to break into as a junior with no experience.

My advice is that you get a job that is suitable to your skills and qualifications, and then move. I don't think you will be gatekept out when you have experience.

I may be wrong but I feel that when I input my individual grades for A levels it puts my application in the bin as I don't reach that minimum requirement.
A degree outweights A levels. That was something I was always told. Think of it that way :smile:
bit of a variety but mostly banking and consulting roles.

I think it depends what you mean by banking. For retail bank jobs and grad schemes I don't think a majority filter by grades. For IB and larger consultancies - you may succeed but I think its a tougher route unless you can clear all the filters.

Perhaps look at analyst, data type jobs to get a bit of a start in the world of work?
Original post by JVM2020
A degree outweights A levels. That was something I was always told. Think of it that way :smile:

tell that to the 180 companies?? I don't think OP came here looking for emotional support lol
I may be wrong but I feel that when I input my individual grades for A levels it puts my application in the bin as I don't reach that minimum requirement.

You're right, it does. Which is why you should not be applying for entry level jobs with your A-Level grades in high finance or consulting. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. As far as I know, A Level grades are really only ever asked for entry level jobs, so interns and graduates. If you come back with experience then they won't care about your A-Levels. But it's up to you to be proactive and get that experience instead of applying for the same positions you know aren't even being seen by a human.

Original post by JVM2020

Unfortunately not true. Some firms still enforce A-Level requirements, even if you have a degree.

can you retake the a levels? I know it's not ideal and you would have to state somewhere that the new grades were retakes, but it would stop you getting auto-rejected by a computer

also the 200 hours (or maybe much less)of work to restudy for 2 a levels is probs less time than u would spend on 100 more applications and interviews
(edited 1 year ago)
Lying on your CV is giving them a reason for them to fire you as you lied on your application.

Tbh, just keep applying and see what happens. Managed to get my first job around a year after graduating as a medical lab assistant but got promoted to an associate practitioner 2 months in (nearly 3) in the NHS COVID-19 labs (salary was around 29k/year.

Not great but a decent salary.

Experience is VERY valuable. I am going back to do a MSc this September in hopes of getting a better chance and job opportunities but will also help me get my dream job.
Reply 14
Original post by rebelw
can you retake the a levels? I know it's not ideal and you would have to state somewhere that the new grades were retakes, but it would stop you getting auto-rejected by a computer

I have been thinking about this. I am unsure if I would be able to sit them this year and I would like to be employed last month if possible and not delay my time getting a job another year.
I have been thinking about this. I am unsure if I would be able to sit them this year and I would like to be employed last month if possible and not delay my time getting a job another year.

yh i just read there's no november series this year as well
self study to become a chartered accountant at the same time as looking for jobs?
get experience at a reputable thinktank (they don't care abt a levels and will give you good contacts)?
apply for jobs at very small businesses and start-ups that won't have software which rejects u for a levels?
FCA apprenticeship?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending