The Student Room Group

Help on Reflective Essay for Audience Data Gathering

Firstly, I've tried to contact my lecturer but he is off sick, I hope he gets well soon he is lovely.

However, I've come back to my reflective essay after many weeks and reread it and am panicking it is too much based in literature. The assignment is 2500 words, with 10% limit (which has been used). I've written about 1250 words for a literature review, which refers a little to my actual data gathering. This led me to having about 1000 words to actually do any reflection and include my methodology after the introduction and conclusion. Is my literature review too long? The outline for the piece is:

Your task is to write a critical reflection on how well (or otherwise) your exercise went, linking your self-reflection to some of the literature on the topic. This should include a consideration of the ethical issues involved. It should be emphasised that the point of this is not to see if you did it ‘well’, but to show how well you understand what demands your chosen method placed on you. To understand where something may have gone wrong, is to show that you understand what was needed.
In addition to the usual marking criteria for PGT work, your essay will be assessed against the following criteria:

1. How clearly do you give your account of the work done in your exercise, in particular the decisions made, the reasons for these, and their outcomes?
2. How thoughtfully do you evaluate the processes and outcomes of the exercise?
3. How widely and strongly do you ground your discussions in relevant literature on your chosen method?

I have until late next week to submit which means I have plenty of time still.

Help and opinions are needed!
Tell us more. Make notes
Original post by tinyperson
Tell us more. Make notes

I don't need help on what to write, just if for a reflection the balance between literature and my own reflection is ok. I'm not sure what else I should tell you, if there is anything specific do say.
Sorry my advice might be a bit late here, but I run workshops on reflective writing at my University. A good technique is to lead points/paragraphs with your actions and then relate these to the literature. For example...

State what you did and why you did it: I chose to gather data using surveys, as surveys are particularly well suited for collecting large amounts of qualitative data (Joe Bloggs, 2021)

Reflect: what went well/not well and why: I received a large number of responses, but some of the answers were not filled in or unclear. This could be due to phrasing of my questions, which upon reflection were ambiguous, which is something which should be avoided in surveys (Smith, 2022)

Lessons learned for the future: In the future I will check my survey questions for ambiguity, or provide checkbox answers to eliminate abiguity as recommended by (Madeupperson, 2011)

Essentially the idea is bring your actions to the forefront, and use the literature to justify your actions, explain why something happened in a particular way, or offer a potential way forward for the future.
Original post by Soon_to_be_PGR
Firstly, I've tried to contact my lecturer but he is off sick, I hope he gets well soon he is lovely.

However, I've come back to my reflective essay after many weeks and reread it and am panicking it is too much based in literature. The assignment is 2500 words, with 10% limit (which has been used). I've written about 1250 words for a literature review, which refers a little to my actual data gathering. This led me to having about 1000 words to actually do any reflection and include my methodology after the introduction and conclusion. Is my literature review too long? The outline for the piece is:

Your task is to write a critical reflection on how well (or otherwise) your exercise went, linking your self-reflection to some of the literature on the topic. This should include a consideration of the ethical issues involved. It should be emphasised that the point of this is not to see if you did it ‘well’, but to show how well you understand what demands your chosen method placed on you. To understand where something may have gone wrong, is to show that you understand what was needed.
In addition to the usual marking criteria for PGT work, your essay will be assessed against the following criteria:

1. How clearly do you give your account of the work done in your exercise, in particular the decisions made, the reasons for these, and their outcomes?
3. How widely and strongly do you ground your discussions in relevant literature on your chosen method?

did you find help
I don't need help on what to write, just if for a reflection the balance between literature and my own reflection is ok. I'm not sure what else I should tell you, if there is anything specific do say.

I know I am late but let me know if you got some assistance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending