The Student Room Group

I have braces and struggle to brush my teeth everyday

This is so specific but I felt like I needed to get it off my chest lol. I’ve been struggling to do basic tasks for quite awhile due to mental health issues, but brushing my teeth has gotta be the worst bc I’m suppose to be brushing my teeth 2/3 times a day.. it’s embarrassing but my teeth has gone yellow, what a shock isn’t it

But yeah I feel like with braces it looks worse and I try to brush everyday.
When you next visit your orthodontist, ask them if they could give your teeth a quick clean after they take out the wire and before they put a new one in - if it's just a bit of staining it can be easily cleaned up by a hygienist. Also, maybe ask if they could give you some advice on how to brush your teeth a little better with braces - they'll have lots of experience with this kind of thing so don't be embarrassed :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
When you next visit your orthodontist, ask them if they could give your teeth a quick clean after they take out the wire and before they put a new one in - if it's just a bit of staining it can be easily cleaned up by a hygienist. Also, maybe ask if they could give you some advice on how to brush your teeth a little better with braces - they'll have lots of experience with this kind of thing so don't be embarrassed :smile:

Thank youuuu 😭❤️❤️ Will doooo! Usually suppose to have dentist check up every 6 months for like a daily clean/checkup or whatever, do you think I could book one earlier maybe?
Thank youuuu 😭❤️❤️ Will doooo! Usually suppose to have dentist check up every 6 months for like a daily clean/checkup or whatever, do you think I could book one earlier maybe?

Yeah book a hygiene appointment soon ideally - that will get rid of much of the yellow bacteria glued onto your teeth. Maybe try brushing first thing after waking up and just before bed to build into your routine.
To add to the above, a routine can be good, but if that doesn't work for you then it's sometimes best to adopt a "better than nothing" approach. I've also struggled a lot with brushing my teeth due to mental health issues, and find mornings and evenings the trickiest times of day to do anything, so the standard routine just didn't work for me.

If you can't motivate yourself to brush for the full time before bed, try 30 seconds or just use mouthwash. If you can't get yourself up and motivated to brush your teeth in the morning, then just brush them at 2pm when you manage to get up and happen to walk past the sink. It may not be the expected routine, and it may not be as much as you're supposed to brush them, but it's better than nothing :smile:
To add to the above, a routine can be good, but if that doesn't work for you then it's sometimes best to adopt a "better than nothing" approach. I've also struggled a lot with brushing my teeth due to mental health issues, and find mornings and evenings the trickiest times of day to do anything, so the standard routine just didn't work for me.

If you can't motivate yourself to brush for the full time before bed, try 30 seconds or just use mouthwash. If you can't get yourself up and motivated to brush your teeth in the morning, then just brush them at 2pm when you manage to get up and happen to walk past the sink. It may not be the expected routine, and it may not be as much as you're supposed to brush them, but it's better than nothing :smile:

Thank you 🥺 yeah I’ve heard of that and I haven’t tried adopting that approach yet that sure will do me a lot of good I suppose, before atleast I use to brush even if it was like what, 6pm? And now it just find it even more difficult! I’m glad I could find someone similar, makes me feel a lot better. I find this topic embarrassing because hygiene is a basic task, almost entirely requires no effort for most people so for them it’d just seem really weird tbh
try to pretend you're looking after someone else. It sounds weird but it helped me take care of my body when I was depressed

Quick Reply

Latest