The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel IAL P2 Summer 2022

Hey there folks! How is everyone doing! Who is giving P2 today and what do you expect the paper to be like?

This is the official thread so let's get the party started!!!!!
It was much harder than we would’ve thought
It was overall quite simple, but that last question was like black magic hard, though I did finish the first part. I'll also lose marks in the log simultaneous question, but if we had a few more minutes, this would have been almost flawless!
Original post by PerfectOrganism
It was overall quite simple, but that last question was like black magic hard, though I did finish the first part. I'll also lose marks in the log simultaneous question, but if we had a few more minutes, this would have been almost flawless!

At least in my opinion Q6 , the last question and the one about half life was just out of the ordinary nothing that i have experienced from any of the past papers ive done
Original post by mic_karim27
At least in my opinion Q6 , the last question and the one about half life was just out of the ordinary nothing that i have experienced from any of the past papers ive done

Yeah that half life one too. I remember the concept from IGCSE physics, but I didn't do the last part 'cuz I ran out of time lol. I think it was geometric series
Reply 5
Hey guys! Well to me the paper seemed tricky at first considering that some questions (like the half life) were surely nothing seen before but they were simply the concepts wrapped in unusual contexts.

The estimation part of logs was a bit tricky which I left blank as I couldn't understand how to manipulate it whatsoever.

The rest were good, the trig question needed some rearrangement which gave a simultaneous equation which was then simple.

The half life was way too simple and I got 2700 years in its final part.

The other question which had the coordinates of A & B was a bit different too but it had adequate details for someone closely paying attention to navigate to the final answer with ease.

The paper started pretty simply considering it was just the expansion and no other comparing coefficients and estimation lol.

Then the last question was tricky (I did the first part) and made significant progress in the second part and some progress in the final part. So I might get some method marks for those. The part A was simple but part B was simple too considering that the first part gave us an equation in x and k and if someone had noticed, the part of the quadratic equation in k^2 was the c term of the overall quadratic equation and the 4k - something was like the b term and we needed to use the discriminant = 0 because the question said that the line is the tangent to the circle hence with that I achieved the final answer similar to the given in the question because I got 5r^2 on the right side but the numbers on the left weren't being factored by 3 altogether which was preventing me to achieve the final answer correctly so I basically made some simplification error probably.

The last part was undoubtedly tricky and required more time (as I found out the coordinates of A but ran out of time while was thinking about the rest) but I made some progress. If there were like 10 more minutes, it was doable then. Actually I started the paper pretty slow ensuring nothing went wrong hence ran out of time otherwise all my papers even P1, I used to finish 15 minutes before the deadline.

Other than that the paper was simple and nothing hard.......Pretty sure UMS will be standard but still hope we get 100 UMS at around 66 or 67.....from my calculations, all my answers were correct except for log estimation part, last question last 2 parts which equal to a total of 12 marks however considering I might get method marks for the the last 2 parts, I might make it to 65 or 66!

Other than that wish you all the best of luck for the results!

Cheers!
Reply 6
Yeah that half life one too. I remember the concept from IGCSE physics, but I didn't do the last part 'cuz I ran out of time lol. I think it was geometric series

the last part was solving it through quadratic logs!!!! form the equation in 2 exponents and a constant and simplifying the first exponent into a square and then forming a quadratic to do the rest!!!!
Reply 7

Same here for the last part except that I made significant progress in the part b and some progress in part A of the last question.

The log simultaneous was easy mate!!!
Original post by Ashan6886
Same here for the last part except that I made significant progress in the part b and some progress in part A of the last question.

The log simultaneous was easy mate!!!

It surely was easy, but I ran out of time lol. Noobity overload!

Quick Reply

Latest