The Student Room Group

Official: King's College London A100 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holders thread

Welcome to the King's College London A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

KCL A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6963390

KCL A100 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560688

For general information click: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs

For entry requirements click: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs#coursepage-entry-requirements

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

As an applicant for 2022 entry. I would defenitely advise AGAINST applying to King's. They made offers so slowly as the deadline approached. Furthermore, if they wanted to reject people, rather than sending them a rejection in good time, they just left their applications blank, for UCAS to auto-reject them on the 19th May deadline. Absolutely shocking. People interviewed in November waited over half a year just for a rejection.
(edited 1 year ago)
^^^
Also make sure to scroll through this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6963390
If you are looking for a UCAT London uni, consider QMUL or SGUL!
(edited 1 year ago)
For anyone thinking of applying to King's, here is a warning that you may never be interviewed or hear back after an interview. Have a look at 2022 thread. It looks like they just let UCAS auto-reject loads of people on the deadline of 19th May. It was an incredibly stressful and frustrating time for applicants, especially those with exams starting the following week.

Me and several other applicants were never interviewed. I was a graduate applicant with UCAT 2990 B2 and 8A*s at GCSEs (they say they asses grads on GCSEs too but who actually knows at this point). There were many other applicants, both school leavers and grads, with similar stats to mine who heard nothing after applying. I withdrew towards the end to accept another offer, but loads heard nothing even after the deadline when people with lower stats had interviews and offers.

Absolute waste of time applying there. I highly recommend SGUL as a UCAT London uni instead. Very good communication from them. They interviewed everyone by end of December and gave responses by start of March, when they said they would.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Hi! I’m a 2022 applicant and I thought I would give you a review on Kings! I submitted my application mid September - from the very start they were extremely uncommunicative taking 17 days to get a reply for a query I had in september. I got an interview which was okay, I had it Feb and then I, and many others, heard absolutely nothing until UCAS deadline day where we all got auto-rejected. The admin is truly awful!! DON’T apply for your sanity - there are way better med schools who will treat you with respect unlike Kings
I also want to add that it has seriously affected my studying as it has with most other people who applied here so I don’t think I will get the grades for my other offers now - it’s not worth your time, i’ve heard SGUL and QMUL are excellent with candidates
(edited 1 year ago)
I cannot emphasise enough the stress and toll it takes on you just waiting with no response and then they move the goalposts on the deadline day. Save yourself the trauma!
You man if you respect yourselves - listen to this - out of the good of my heart I'm warning don't apply here it's the deadline today and they still haven't informed me of their decision over my application. They legit tsake way too long to reply and for those of you nearing applying , you'll most likely only hear back near A-Level time which generates extra stress. FIND A UNI THAT RESPECTS YOU AS A PERSON . TAKE MY ADVICE OR LEAVE IT I just know that I have warned you in advance
Original post by Ethan Sharma
You man if you respect yourselves - listen to this - out of the good of my heart I'm warning don't apply here it's the deadline today and they still haven't informed me of their decision over my application. They legit tsake way too long to reply and for those of you nearing applying , you'll most likely only hear back near A-Level time which generates extra stress. FIND A UNI THAT RESPECTS YOU AS A PERSON . TAKE MY ADVICE OR LEAVE IT I just know that I have warned you in advance

if you dont believe me read this : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6963390
It is a good time to remind you all that KCL has a VERY low student satisfaction % (we now know why and were not even students yet)
also ik you naive year 12's think prestige matters etc (it doesnt lol) but to make my point, kings is not as prestigious as you think. SGUL and QMUL rank way better and if anything kings is always ranking close to the bottom out of all the med schools.
Original post by PastelColours
also ik you naive year 12's think prestige matters etc (it doesnt lol) but to make my point, kings is not as prestigious as you think. SGUL and QMUL rank way better and if anything kings is always ranking close to the bottom out of all the med schools.

Agree with this! If you look at Medicine league tables, King's is consistently towards the bottom.
Original post by micholate9
Agree with this! If you look at Medicine league tables, King's is consistently towards the bottom.

Someone said that the admin is so bad that 2pm exams get delayed to 5pm.
PSA to anyone thinking of applying to Kings: I would strongly encourage everyone to take a look at the previous years threads (which can be found in the first post of this thread) in order to get a grasp of what the process entails. It has been an incredibly stressful process, and the admin, late replies, missing deadlines and absolute lack of certainty has made it a whole lot worse. It's the 19th of May (past the UCAS deadline date) today, and applicants are literally still left in limbo, and have been kept waiting for the past 7 months with barely any correspondence. Going through all of this coupled with exam stress has almost broken me, lmao. I hope things are much better next year, however, they do have a history of poor admin, so please keep this in mind while applying.
It appears like King's College has forgotten to respond to huge swathes of applicants. The admissions team has no idea what they're doing. Some applicants haven't heard from King's since October (it's now May). I haven't heard since my interview invite, and now they've let the timer run out without elaborating on whether I've been rejected, waitlisted or otherwise. It's all completely disorganised.

For reference, I had 2930 UCAT, all 8s and 9s for GCSE, predicted A*s for A-levels.
(edited 1 year ago)
2022 applicant here,

I applied to kings with a ‘lower’ ucat of 2680 A*AA predicted and 99999988887

as the school ticked all my boxes and surprisingly I got an invite to interview.

After my interview, I received no communication from Kings. I kept waiting and watched my favourite accommodation at a different med school become fully booked.

Like many I asked when to expect a response through the portal only to be told they had until the deadline and that I should just wait.

Kings admin did not know what was going on and told different applicants different things about responses and invites to interview, on call they were rude and would just hang up on you. Having someone mess around with my future acting like my ambitions and dreams were nothing stressed me out especially while I’m sitting my alevels.

The best thing I have to compare to my experience with kings is my experience with Cardiff med school. Cardiff were clear from the beginning on how they rank applicants, what you’ll need for an invite to interview, resources to help you prepare for interview, support and acknowledgment emails during the wait from interview to decision as well as exam support post offer with advice on how to study, relax and the biggest flash cards I’ve ever seen.

If you’re looking for somewhere in London there are more honest unis who provide research opportunities community projects and that are ranked higher in league tables (if you care able rankings). QMUL and SGUL are amazing (I applied to QMUL as my non med offer as I knew I’d be happy there if things went differently for me)

Personally I want to spend the next 5-6 years of my life at an institution that values me and actually wants me to succeed and cares for mental health and can stick to a simple deadline.

Hopefully my experience sheds some light on the 2022 application process and helps you make informed decisions. Do take a look at the 2022 thread from like page 300 onwards! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello I am a 2022 applicant and I have not heard one thing from kings since I applied in October. The fact that I’m going to be potentially automatically rejected on the deadline which might I add has passed and I still haven’t heard a thing today, is an absolute joke. It basically means kings have not even looked at my application which is an absolute waste of a space on my unis. I wish I knew they would be like this to avoid applying and wasting an option. I have never been so annoyed over a uni but kings have honestly taken the piss. I have not even been interviewed and to not be rejected ages ago is appalling. If they knew I had no potential I don’t understand why they left me and many others to keep our hopes up just to be automatically rejected on the 19th of may by ucas. They’ve had since October to do all this but they’ve left it all to the last min. Pls save yourself and avoid applying here for your own mental well-being! It humbled me so quick after knowing I had good stats but they still didn’t bat an eyelash at me. their admin is an absolute joke I don’t think they can be forgiven for what they have put us through this year. I have lost all motivation to revise for my alevels due to constantly being on edge. Multiple people ring kings constantly to find out what’s going on and they always give different answers one minute they said we would get interviews next min we see mass rejections. I would avoid this uni at all costs apply to queen Mary or St. George’s instead I know they genuinely care about their applicants unlike this uni. Deffo have a read of the A100 2022 thread to see the struggle we went through! All the best 2023 applicants you’re going to need it
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 16
2022 applicant: I regret applying to kings and I hope you reconsider applying.

And before you say these people are bitter because they have been rejected, I want to emphasise that I have no hard feelings towards another uni that rejected me - 1) because, unlike kings, the other uni let me know very early on in the year about their decision 2) the other uni communicated with me from the get-go and did not wait for UCAS to automatically reject us after the May deadline, like Kings.

Since submitting my application last year, I have heard nothing from kings and many other applicants have had the same experience. Please do not make the same mistake as I did by choosing kings
Original post by ctfeludu
2022 applicant here,

I applied to kings with a ‘lower’ ucat of 2680 A*AA predicted and 99999988887

as the school ticked all my boxes and surprisingly I got an invite to interview.

After my interview, I received no communication from Kings. I kept waiting and watched my favourite accommodation at a different med school become fully booked.

Like many I asked when to expect a response through the portal only to be told they had until the deadline and that I should just wait.

Kings admin did not know what was going on and told different applicants different things about responses and invites to interview, on call they were rude and would just hang up on you. Having someone mess around with my future acting like my ambitions and dreams were nothing stressed me out especially while I’m sitting my alevels.

The best thing I have to compare to my experience with kings is my experience with Cardiff med school. Cardiff were clear from the beginning on how they rank applicants, what you’ll need for an invite to interview, resources to help you prepare for interview, support and acknowledgment emails during the wait from interview to decision as well as exam support post offer with advice on how to study, relax and the biggest flash cards I’ve ever seen.

If you’re looking for somewhere in London there are more honest unis who provide research opportunities community projects and that are ranked higher in league tables (if you care able rankings). QMUL and SGUL are amazing (I applied to QMUL as my non med offer as I knew I’d be happy there if things went differently for me)

Personally I want to spend the next 5-6 years of my life at an institution that values me and actually wants me to succeed and cares for mental health and can stick to a simple deadline.

Hopefully my experience sheds some light on the 2022 application process and helps you make informed decisions. Do take a look at the 2022 thread from like page 300 onwards! :smile:

Cardiff and clear in the same sentence? Sorry I just had a laugh... not as bad as King's though, may I add.
Original post by WAccordingtome
Cardiff and clear in the same sentence? Sorry I just had a laugh... not as bad as King's though, may I add.

How was your experience with them, I found them to be the most straightforward with me out of all the schools I applied to. But comparing any med application process to kings would make you look amazing
Original post by ctfeludu
How was your experience with them, I found them to be the most straightforward with me out of all the schools I applied to. But comparing any med application process to kings would make you look amazing

I personally have nothing on them but there's many upset people on the Cardiff thread because of the lack of communication from Cardiff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending