The Student Room Group

Mum don’t want me to go too far for uni, how do i persuade her?

I’m planning to go university, been looking at Nottingham and i live at the bottom of UK, near Southampton. My family won’t let me leave that far, they’re really protective and won’t let me go further than an hour away
Original post by JPF6
I’m planning to go university, been looking at Nottingham and i live at the bottom of UK, near Southampton. My family won’t let me leave that far, they’re really protective and won’t let me go further than an hour away

Maybe Just try and talk to them and say its the one you want to go to. Its your choice of your education and they can't really stop you. If you want to go to nottingham Uni, Then i say go for it, its your education. not theirs . If its the best you've experianced or want to expericance and get a good qualification and maybe a good job in the future. go for it! Its your future. not your parents!
Have you done enough to prove that you're responsible and self-sufficient? Can you cook your own meals? Do your own chores? Maintain your room and areas you frequent by yourself? That should help. Also, talk about the quality of education and how you feel it's right for you based on the course you want to take. I wish you the best.
Original post by JPF6

Hey there, @JPF6

You need to have a proper sit down with your family to discuss this. They need to realise that this is your future and that you're starting to make decisions and moves for yourself, not for other people. You're an adult now and leaving home for university is such an important stride regarding independence. They need to support your decision, whatever that may be.

On the flip side, if you haven't done enough to show independence and that you can live by yourself, it may be that your family genuinely don't believe that you're ready to move far from home. Whatever the case may be, listen to their reasoning, and if it's just anxiety about you leaving, then you need to explain that this is something you want.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
-Quinn
Original post by JPF6

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year at Nottingham so if you have any questions let me know.

I would recommend having a chat with your parents and showing them the course, uni etc and explain to them why you feel that it is the best place for you. If possible having a trip to visit may also put their mind at ease as they will then be able to see where you would be living. If you can get to any offer holder days this may also help as then you can see your lecturers and they will be available to answer any questions you or your parents may have.
Nottingham is also really good for transport links and my friend who lives in Southampton can get a train to London super easy and then change there to get home. If this is something that also makes them worry maybe over summer head into London and show them that you know the route you will take.

Overall I think you just have to show them in any way that this is what you want and it is what you think is best.
Hope this helps,
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending