The Student Room Group

Moving to university

Hi, I might be moving out for uni which means I will need to take the train to get there. I was wondering how much stuff I should pack and what essentials I need with me as I don't think there is enough space to carry everything on a train. Any advice would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cm.22
Hi, I might be moving out for uni which means I will need to take the train to get there. I was wondering how much stuff I should pack and what essentials I need with me as I don't think there is enough space to carry everything on a train. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi @cm.22! I found that I needed a lot more than I thought I would went I first moved to uni as you have all of the kitchen and bathroom/ en-suite bits to pack! Realistically, it's a lot easier moving in if you can drive to the uni or if you've got a friend who might be willing to drive you as the train station might not be close to the uni and you'll be able to pack a lot more.

In terms of what to pack, the essentials would be what you'd pack for a holiday basically: toiletries (toothbrush/ paste, shampoo & conditioner etc), medicine, laptop, phone, earphones, chargers, some shoes, backpack and some clothes. There's quite a lot of things that you could buy once you're at the university to save some space such as bedding, duvets, pillows, towels, stationery (notebooks, folders) and all kitchenware. There are a few websites such as UniKitOut that offer lots of student packs e.g. bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, stationery, laundry so they would be worth checking out!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student
Reply 2
Original post by cm.22

Hi.
We did laundry every week so I would recommend packing for 10 days in terms of clothes. Also a fan for summer is a must, usually very hot in the dorms. Bed linen etc might not be provided or dirty on arrival so maybe consider taking some from home or buying some when you come to uni.
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hi @cm.22! I found that I needed a lot more than I thought I would went I first moved to uni as you have all of the kitchen and bathroom/ en-suite bits to pack! Realistically, it's a lot easier moving in if you can drive to the uni or if you've got a friend who might be willing to drive you as the train station might not be close to the uni and you'll be able to pack a lot more.

In terms of what to pack, the essentials would be what you'd pack for a holiday basically: toiletries (toothbrush/ paste, shampoo & conditioner etc), medicine, laptop, phone, earphones, chargers, some shoes, backpack and some clothes. There's quite a lot of things that you could buy once you're at the university to save some space such as bedding, duvets, pillows, towels, stationery (notebooks, folders) and all kitchenware. There are a few websites such as UniKitOut that offer lots of student packs e.g. bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, stationery, laundry so they would be worth checking out!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Emma

Hi Emma, thank you so much for the detailed reply! I'd forgotten about needing kitchen stuff haha, I'll have a look at that website and actually make a proper list of things I need.

I've never actually been on a train, do you know how much space there is/how much I could feasibly carry?
Original post by Voin
Hi.
We did laundry every week so I would recommend packing for 10 days in terms of clothes. Also a fan for summer is a must, usually very hot in the dorms. Bed linen etc might not be provided or dirty on arrival so maybe consider taking some from home or buying some when you come to uni.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I'll definitely remember the tip about how much clothes to pack.
Since I'll be going back home at Christmas and Easter, I probably won't need to bring a fan until summer but I'll try to keep it in mind at the time.
Original post by cm.22
Hi Emma, thank you so much for the detailed reply! I'd forgotten about needing kitchen stuff haha, I'll have a look at that website and actually make a proper list of things I need.

I've never actually been on a train, do you know how much space there is/how much I could feasibly carry?

Hi @cm.22 - no problem!! I think the everyday items are the easiest to forget!!

In terms of the train, the type of train is definitely the biggest factor into how much room there is. If you work out which train you'd get, it's worth making the trip to the university beforehand so you're familiar with the journey and walk (and you could always do two trips then to take more stuff!) and you'll know how much room there is.
Typically, there's plenty of space on trains and they have overhead seat storage and dedicated luggage storage so it shouldn't be an issue! Depending on how long the walk is from the train station and how much you can carry etc., I'd say that one big backpack and two large suitcases would be how much you could carry/ wheel and get on and off the train fairly comfortably.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Emma
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hi @cm.22 - no problem!! I think the everyday items are the easiest to forget!!

In terms of the train, the type of train is definitely the biggest factor into how much room there is. If you work out which train you'd get, it's worth making the trip to the university beforehand so you're familiar with the journey and walk (and you could always do two trips then to take more stuff!) and you'll know how much room there is.
Typically, there's plenty of space on trains and they have overhead seat storage and dedicated luggage storage so it shouldn't be an issue! Depending on how long the walk is from the train station and how much you can carry etc., I'd say that one big backpack and two large suitcases would be how much you could carry/ wheel and get on and off the train fairly comfortably.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Emma

Hi Emma,

Thank you so much for all the advice. I'll definitely ask if I have anymore questions, thank you!
Original post by cm.22

Train is going to be difficult, but id go with 2 large suitcases & a backpack then buy bulkier stuff at uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mnot
Train is going to be difficult, but id go with 2 large suitcases & a backpack then buy bulkier stuff at uni.

Hey, thanks for the advice!
Original post by cm.22
Hi Emma,

Thank you so much for all the advice. I'll definitely ask if I have anymore questions, thank you!

Hi @cm.22 - you're welcome! Good luck :smile:

Emma
Hi there,

I'd definitely recommend packing pods for clothes!
Other than keeping everything a bit more organised so you can fit more in your suitcase, there are some you can remove the air from with a vacuum and you'd be amazed how small they can compress down too.

Like some of the others have mentioned, buying stuff you don't necessarily need to bring with you also helps.
When I first moved in I did a big food shop and brought all my toiletries, cleaning products etc then, which not only saved me having to pack more stuff but made my suitcases much lighter.

I was always encouraged to bring more stuff than I might need but if space is an issue, it might be worth starting to make a note of everything you use frequently. Then you can see what you don't use that often (and sometimes it's stuff you think you use more than you do) which can help save on space because you won't necessarily need it.

Good luck with your packing!

Megan:smile:
Official Student Rep
University of Chichester
Original post by cm.22

Hi cm.22

If you do a google and find the longest list you can (https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/big-list-absolutely-everything-you-need-take-university is a good start). Then start crossing things off, and adding things you need for your hobbies such as your collection of dungeons and dragons equipment, or a musical instrument.

For things you don't own, as other people have said, decide whether you can buy them easily once you get to Uni (there are lots of things you will not need immediately). You can also decide if it is worth doing two trips if you have a lot of stuff.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hi there,

I'd definitely recommend packing pods for clothes!
Other than keeping everything a bit more organised so you can fit more in your suitcase, there are some you can remove the air from with a vacuum and you'd be amazed how small they can compress down too.

Like some of the others have mentioned, buying stuff you don't necessarily need to bring with you also helps.
When I first moved in I did a big food shop and brought all my toiletries, cleaning products etc then, which not only saved me having to pack more stuff but made my suitcases much lighter.

I was always encouraged to bring more stuff than I might need but if space is an issue, it might be worth starting to make a note of everything you use frequently. Then you can see what you don't use that often (and sometimes it's stuff you think you use more than you do) which can help save on space because you won't necessarily need it.

Good luck with your packing!

Megan:smile:
Official Student Rep
University of Chichester

Hi Megan,

Thank you so much for the advice!
Sorry what do you mean by pods? I was thinking you meant those things you put in the washing machine but that doesn't seem right.
That's a good idea, I might start making a list of things I use a lot, thank you :smile:
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi cm.22

If you do a google and find the longest list you can (https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/big-list-absolutely-everything-you-need-take-university is a good start). Then start crossing things off, and adding things you need for your hobbies such as your collection of dungeons and dragons equipment, or a musical instrument.

For things you don't own, as other people have said, decide whether you can buy them easily once you get to Uni (there are lots of things you will not need immediately). You can also decide if it is worth doing two trips if you have a lot of stuff.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador

Hi Chris,
Thank you for the reply!

I just noticed that you're a Hull ambassador - I'm considering going to Hull and was wondering how you have found it?
Also, do you think it's an affordable place to live?
Original post by cm.22
Hi Megan,

Thank you so much for the advice!
Sorry what do you mean by pods? I was thinking you meant those things you put in the washing machine but that doesn't seem right.
That's a good idea, I might start making a list of things I use a lot, thank you :smile:

Hi there,

If you type packing pods into google it'll show you the kind of thing I mean. They're just handy dividers for suitcases and backpacks but you can really fill them to the brim and it then leaves more space in whatever you're packing them into.
The vacuum ones are my favourite as they really do shrink everything down when the air is removed from them.

I hope this helps a bit more :smile:

Megan
University of Chichester Student Rep
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hi there,

If you type packing pods into google it'll show you the kind of thing I mean. They're just handy dividers for suitcases and backpacks but you can really fill them to the brim and it then leaves more space in whatever you're packing them into.
The vacuum ones are my favourite as they really do shrink everything down when the air is removed from them.

I hope this helps a bit more :smile:

Megan
University of Chichester Student Rep

Hi Megan, I just had a quick search and they look so useful. Thank you!
Original post by cm.22

Hi there,

My name is El.

Moving in does require a lot of stuff but the most vital things are kitchen utensils, clothes, towels, bathroom supplies and supplies for your lessons. If you can't take everything, Wilkos, Ikea and primark are brilliant with supplying you with whatever you don't have and some of your roommates may be able to offer some things whilst you still get sorted!

My partner whose at the same Uni as me barely brings any stuff at Uni but clothes, kitchen and bathroom supplies and his playstation! I have a habit of bringing a lot of stuff as I find comfort in that haha but most of my friends brought the bare minimum which was:

Plates and bowls.
Cooking trays (though others may have these and can offer them occasionally).
Knives, forks and spoons.
Wooden spoons, sharp knives for cooking, chopping boards, cheese grater (May all be bought by others too and can be borrowed maybe or already be offered by your accommodation).
Plastic tubs (helpful for storing leftovers or cheese!).
Your clothing.
Books for your course/notebooks and educational books.
Educational supplies such as pens, pencils and whatever else you need for your course!
Hair dryer if needed.

Bathroom supplies such as: towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, sponge, shower gel, toothbrushes, hairbrush and whatever other products you use personally! May be useful to get sandals or any kind of slip on shoes if you have a communal shower.

I hope this helps! As always you can always buy a lot of your supplies once you've moved in which a lot of people have to do if they're travelling far on trains or planes!

El
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi there,

My name is El.

Moving in does require a lot of stuff but the most vital things are kitchen utensils, clothes, towels, bathroom supplies and supplies for your lessons. If you can't take everything, Wilkos, Ikea and primark are brilliant with supplying you with whatever you don't have and some of your roommates may be able to offer some things whilst you still get sorted!

My partner whose at the same Uni as me barely brings any stuff at Uni but clothes, kitchen and bathroom supplies and his playstation! I have a habit of bringing a lot of stuff as I find comfort in that haha but most of my friends brought the bare minimum which was:

Plates and bowls.
Cooking trays (though others may have these and can offer them occasionally).
Knives, forks and spoons.
Wooden spoons, sharp knives for cooking, chopping boards, cheese grater (May all be bought by others too and can be borrowed maybe or already be offered by your accommodation).
Plastic tubs (helpful for storing leftovers or cheese!).
Your clothing.
Books for your course/notebooks and educational books.
Educational supplies such as pens, pencils and whatever else you need for your course!
Hair dryer if needed.

Bathroom supplies such as: towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, sponge, shower gel, toothbrushes, hairbrush and whatever other products you use personally! May be useful to get sandals or any kind of slip on shoes if you have a communal shower.

I hope this helps! As always you can always buy a lot of your supplies once you've moved in which a lot of people have to do if they're travelling far on trains or planes!

El

Hi El, thank you so much for the advice!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cm.22
Hi Chris,
Thank you for the reply!

I just noticed that you're a Hull ambassador - I'm considering going to Hull and was wondering how you have found it?
Also, do you think it's an affordable place to live?

Hi again cm.22

Hull is definitely one of the cheapest places to live, the rent for rooms on campus are fairly good and with everything being on one campus you don't need to pay for buses everyday. Off campus living is also cheap, there are more student flats than there are students who need them, so this keeps the prices down.

You will find prices are cheaper too, particularly in comparison with the south of England. Have a look at: https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/study-at-hull/money/affordability

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Chris
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi again cm.22

Hull is definitely one of the cheapest places to live, the rent for rooms on campus are fairly good and with everything being on one campus you don't need to pay for buses everyday. Off campus living is also cheap, there are more student flats than there are students who need them, so this keeps the prices down.

You will find prices are cheaper too, particularly in comparison with the south of England. Have a look at: https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/study-at-hull/money/affordability

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for replying!

For the on campus accommodation, are the bills and rent paid all at the start of the year or at the start of each term or something else?
Also, is there a big drinking culture there? I don't drink and am just a little worried about it.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending