The Student Room Group

Working doing undergraduate study

Hey!

I am an undergraduate student in Scotland. I am a bit confused about whether there are or aren't any restrictions on the number of hours I can work per week. As I am not from the UK (but have pre-settled status) this issue didn't even cross my mind before, but now I've heard that I can work up to 20 hours during semester time, but I have no idea how it is during the summer break and whether I would need to prove that I have a summer break or not?

Thank you!
Matej
Reply 1
Not sure with pre sestatusttled but I know if your on a student via you can work a max of 20 hours a week,
Original post by Matej Blaha
Hey!

I am an undergraduate student in Scotland. I am a bit confused about whether there are or aren't any restrictions on the number of hours I can work per week. As I am not from the UK (but have pre-settled status) this issue didn't even cross my mind before, but now I've heard that I can work up to 20 hours during semester time, but I have no idea how it is during the summer break and whether I would need to prove that I have a summer break or not?

Thank you!
Matej

Hey @Matej Blaha :biggrin: When you start with an employer they'll check your right to work status using your government share code on the gov.uk website and any restrictions would show. Do you have a share code issued already? Can you log in to the government website to see what information is there? Have a look at this page if you haven't already: https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status

You could get in touch with the International/HR teams at you university to see if they can advise based on your evidence. I don't believe restrictions apply during the summer break but it's best to check with someone who can look at your evidence and tell you for sure.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Matej Blaha :biggrin: When you start with an employer they'll check your right to work status using your government share code on the gov.uk website and any restrictions would show. Do you have a share code issued already? Can you log in to the government website to see what information is there? Have a look at this page if you haven't already: https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status

You could get in touch with the International/HR teams at you university to see if they can advise based on your evidence. I don't believe restrictions apply during the summer break but it's best to check with someone who can look at your evidence and tell you for sure.

Hi Caitlin! Thank you so much for the info!

I have just checked my status and it simply says that I can work in any job.

I was wondering whether there are any restrictions that would apply to students in general, including Scottish citizens? I am sorry that this wasn't clear in my first post.

Best,
Matej
Hi Caitlin! Thank you so much for the info!

I have just checked my status and it simply says that I can work in any job.

I was wondering whether there are any restrictions that would apply to students in general, including Scottish citizens? I am sorry that this wasn't clear in my first post.

Best,
Matej

Hey @Matej Blaha, sorry I've just seen this now! :smile:

No there's no restrictions on any UK citizens as they have the right to work in the UK. International students will often have restrictions on their visa meaning they can't work for more than 20 hrs (or in some cases 10) per week in term time. This is different for those coming from the EU with settled/pre-settled status as the EU Settlement Scheme allows citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland to stay in the UK and continue to work, study and access benefits and services such as NHS healthcare without applying for a visa. There's a bit of extra info on this here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/studying-in-the-uk-guidance-for-eu-students

My best advice is to double check with your future employer or the HR teams at your University if in doubt but from what you've said you seem to have the right to work in any job with no restrictions.

Hope that's helped!

Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Matej Blaha, sorry I've just seen this now! :smile:

No there's no restrictions on any UK citizens as they have the right to work in the UK. International students will often have restrictions on their visa meaning they can't work for more than 20 hrs (or in some cases 10) per week in term time. This is different for those coming from the EU with settled/pre-settled status as the EU Settlement Scheme allows citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland to stay in the UK and continue to work, study and access benefits and services such as NHS healthcare without applying for a visa. There's a bit of extra info on this here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/studying-in-the-uk-guidance-for-eu-students

My best advice is to double check with your future employer or the HR teams at your University if in doubt but from what you've said you seem to have the right to work in any job with no restrictions.

Hope that's helped!

Hey Caitlin,
Thank you for such a thorough reply! 😊 That makes a lot of sense, my pre-settled status only depends on my stay in the UK, it has nothing to do with my studies. As the work restrictions apply to international student visas rather than students in general, I have nothing to worry about.😁

Best,
Matej
Hey Caitlin,
Thank you for such a thorough reply! 😊 That makes a lot of sense, my pre-settled status only depends on my stay in the UK, it has nothing to do with my studies. As the work restrictions apply to international student visas rather than students in general, I have nothing to worry about.😁

Best,
Matej

@Matej Blaha You're very welcome. Best of luck with your job search!! :dance:

Quick Reply

Latest