The Student Room Group

GCSE stress!

vent to me and ill help with revision tips and ill give you any revision notes to you for help (i do aqa and edexcel) btw i can give notes for anyone doing maths/english lang/science/history/spanish/foodtech

Scroll to see replies

Hey Jonsie, I'm not the age for the GCSE exams but I think I'm screwed because this time next year I'm about to choose my GCSE options and I feel like my school will only support me depending on what I choose because I think that they won't help me if I pick one of my passions, like Music and Drama, please can you suggest what to do about this?
Reply 2
Original post by wtfbanana777
Hey Jonsie, I'm not the age for the GCSE exams but I think I'm screwed because this time next year I'm about to choose my GCSE options and I feel like my school will only support me depending on what I choose because I think that they won't help me if I pick one of my passions, like Music and Drama, please can you suggest what to do about this?

Honestly don't worry!! either way on what you pick your school will 100% support you and when I picked Spanish as a GCSE it was my passion and they supported me so much. If you pick either music or drama, god for bid they don't support you go to someone you trust and you know who will support you. (sorry if this wasn't helpful!! :/)
Hey, I’m in year 10 and I’m sitting mocks for Spanish (AQA) next month. I already sat the foundation mocks but I got over 80% in the three papers (no speaking mocks just yet) so they’ve put me down to try a higher paper :s-smilie:
Any tips?
Reply 4
Original post by RushingRiver
Hey, I’m in year 10 and I’m sitting mocks for Spanish (AQA) next month. I already sat the foundation mocks but I got over 80% in the three papers (no speaking mocks just yet) so they’ve put me down to try a higher paper :s-smilie:
Any tips?

I'm AQA too :smile:

The tips id give you are (there's a lot):

1. Identify the Vocabulary You Will Need to Know
you get a copy of your exam board syllabus so you have a list of the expected vocabulary. You can see an example of this at the AQA website. This is a comprehensive list of the vocabulary you need to know. You don’t need to know other words for this exam so make sure you focus your efforts on this list. Old school methods like flashcards and post-its are great for learning. You could also take a look at Quizlet to create online flashcards.

2. Practice Little and Often
Try to build learning Spanish into your everyday routine. You could try listening to a Spanish podcasts too. Also, you could stick post-its on everyday objects with their Spanish names. Additionally, some of the language learning apps can be really great to use on the move. Just five minutes of Spanish practice regularly will reap more rewards than cramming just before the exam.

3. Focus on Accuracy Instead of Complexity
Getting simple phrases right is more important than using complicated grammar or sentence structures. Focus on making sure your adjectives match the gender of each word and ensure you are confident with conjugating your verbs in the present, past and future tenses. Getting the basics right will help you to achieve the grade you want.

5. Make Sure You Are Confident With Question Words in Spanish
Being able to recognise the question words (what,why,how,when,who) will give you a head start in understanding questions that may be posed to you in Spanish. Avoid that panic of not understanding the question by knowing these words.

6. Practice with Past Papers
use the past papers available on the exam board website to practice. This is a great way to get familiar with the layout of the exams and the types of questions that could come up. It will also be a good way of identifying which areas you find the most difficult and where you should focus your revision time.

7. Listen to Spanish
You can get familiar with seeing Spanish written down but find it difficult to recognise the words when they are spoken. Try to listen to Spanish as much as you can. You can use the listening past papers, Spanish podcasts or work with a tutor to get practice.

8. Create Some Key Phrases for Each of the GCSE Spanish Topics and Learn Them
The Spanish GCSE is split into different topics. Write a paragraph about each topic. Try to include the different tenses you have learned. For instance, one of the GCSE topics on the AQA syllabus is Home, Town, Neighbourhood and Region. For this topic you could write some sentences about: what your town used to be like; what you did there last weekend; what you like or don’t like about your town; what your ideal town will be like; and how the town will change in the future. Once you know have a few sentences committed to memory for each topic you will be well prepared to answer many questions.

If you need just ask for my revision notes and ill give you them, i have a whole folder full of Spanish revision (AQA)
Original post by Jonsie55
I'm AQA too :smile:

The tips id give you are (there's a lot):

1. Identify the Vocabulary You Will Need to Know
you get a copy of your exam board syllabus so you have a list of the expected vocabulary. You can see an example of this at the AQA website. This is a comprehensive list of the vocabulary you need to know. You don’t need to know other words for this exam so make sure you focus your efforts on this list. Old school methods like flashcards and post-its are great for learning. You could also take a look at Quizlet to create online flashcards.

2. Practice Little and Often
Try to build learning Spanish into your everyday routine. You could try listening to a Spanish podcasts too. Also, you could stick post-its on everyday objects with their Spanish names. Additionally, some of the language learning apps can be really great to use on the move. Just five minutes of Spanish practice regularly will reap more rewards than cramming just before the exam.

3. Focus on Accuracy Instead of Complexity
Getting simple phrases right is more important than using complicated grammar or sentence structures. Focus on making sure your adjectives match the gender of each word and ensure you are confident with conjugating your verbs in the present, past and future tenses. Getting the basics right will help you to achieve the grade you want.

5. Make Sure You Are Confident With Question Words in Spanish
Being able to recognise the question words (what,why,how,when,who) will give you a head start in understanding questions that may be posed to you in Spanish. Avoid that panic of not understanding the question by knowing these words.

6. Practice with Past Papers
use the past papers available on the exam board website to practice. This is a great way to get familiar with the layout of the exams and the types of questions that could come up. It will also be a good way of identifying which areas you find the most difficult and where you should focus your revision time.

7. Listen to Spanish
You can get familiar with seeing Spanish written down but find it difficult to recognise the words when they are spoken. Try to listen to Spanish as much as you can. You can use the listening past papers, Spanish podcasts or work with a tutor to get practice.

8. Create Some Key Phrases for Each of the GCSE Spanish Topics and Learn Them
The Spanish GCSE is split into different topics. Write a paragraph about each topic. Try to include the different tenses you have learned. For instance, one of the GCSE topics on the AQA syllabus is Home, Town, Neighbourhood and Region. For this topic you could write some sentences about: what your town used to be like; what you did there last weekend; what you like or don’t like about your town; what your ideal town will be like; and how the town will change in the future. Once you know have a few sentences committed to memory for each topic you will be well prepared to answer many questions.

If you need just ask for my revision notes and ill give you them, i have a whole folder full of Spanish revision (AQA)

Thank you so much! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by RushingRiver
Thank you so much! :biggrin:

Your welcomeeee! :smile::smile:
Honestly don't worry!! either way on what you pick your school will 100% support you and when I picked Spanish as a GCSE it was my passion and they supported me so much. If you pick either music or drama, god for bid they don't support you go to someone you trust and you know who will support you. (sorry if this wasn't helpful!! :/)

Thank you so much that is relieving to hear!! Good luck on your exams and I'll be rooting from everyone! Peace <3
Reply 8
Original post by wtfbanana777
Thank you so much that is relieving to hear!! Good luck on your exams and I'll be rooting from everyone! Peace <3

Your so very welcomeeee!!!!!!! i wish you the best luck on your mocks you'll be fine and i am so sure youll pass every single one of them!! come to me for revision notes if you need any btw! Peace <3 :smile:
Your so very welcomeeee!!!!!!! i wish you the best luck on your mocks you'll be fine and i am so sure youll pass every single one of them!! come to me for revision notes if you need any btw! Peace <3 :smile:

Thanks, but I'm not on mocks yet I'm only choosing next year lol
vent to me and ill help with revision tips and ill give you any revision notes to you for help (i do aqa and edexcel) btw i can give notes for anyone doing maths/english lang/science/history/spanish/foodtech

hii what exam board are you for history? the content is smmmm
tyy
Reply 11
Original post by little_zombie
hii what exam board are you for history? the content is smmmm
tyy

i do a mix of aqa and edecel :smile:
Please give me your revision notes

Please give me your revision notes. I am in dire need.:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Minoru Tanaka
Please give me your revision notes. I am in dire need.:smile:

what subject??
Do you have revision notes for maths papers 2 and 3 or Spanish writing
English Lit please! I do edexcel aic and romeo and juliet
(edited 1 year ago)
Spanish please.
what subject??

Spanish please.:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Minoru Tanaka
Spanish please.:smile:

sure! :smile:

Spanish key words:

Comparisons-

Spanish to English
bastante -sufficient, enough, quite
comparar -to compare
demasiado- too, too much
igual -que same as
más (que)- more (than)
mayor- main, major, larger, bigger, greater
mayoría-, la most, majority
mejor- better, best
menor- smaller, less, least
menos- (que) less (than)
mismo- same
muy- very
parecido- a like, similar to
peor- worse, worst
poco (eg poco ruidoso)- not very
tan como -as as
tanto como- as much as

Conjunctions-

Spanish to English
a pesar de -in spite of, despite
así que- so, therefore
aun (si)- even (if)
aunque- although, (even) though
como- as, since
cuando- when
incluso- even
mientras- (que) while, meanwhile
o/u- or
per-o but
por eso- for that reason, therefore
por lo tanto- therefore
porque- because
pues- then, since
si- if
sin embargo- however
tal vez- maybe, perhaps
también- also
ya (que)- as, since

Connectives

Spanish to English
además- moreover, besides
aparte- de apart from
claro- que of course
dado que- given that
es decir- in other words, that is to say
por un lado/por otro lado- on the one hand/on the other hand
por una parte/por otra parte- on the one hand/on the other hand
sin duda- obviously, certainly

Prepositions

Spanish to English
a- to, at
de- from, of
en- in
hacia- towards
hasta- until
para- for
por- through, by, in, for, per
según- according to
sin- without

Negatives

Spanish to English
jamás- never
ni…nip neither nor
nadap nothing
nadiep nobody
ningunop none, no-one
nuncap never
sinop but, except
tampocop neither/not ... either ...
ya no- not any more

Important verbs

Spanish to English
acabar de + infinitive- to have just (done something)
comenzar- to begin
continuar- to continue
dar- to give
darse cuenta (de)- to realise
deber- must, have to
decidir- to decide
dejar de- to stop (doing something)
echar/lanzar- to throw
empezar- to begin
estar- to be
hace(n) falta- to need, to be necessary
hacer- to do, to make
hacerse- to become
hay- there is, there are
hay que- one must, one has to
ir- to go
ir a + infinitive- (to be) going to (do something)
irse- to go away, to leave
necesitar- to need
ocurrir- to happen
pasar- to happen, to go through, to spend (time)
poder- to be able, can
poner- to put
ponerse a- to start doing something
querer- to want; to love
quisiera- I’d like
saber- to know (a fact, how to do something)
seguir- to continue, to follow
ser- to be
soler- to regularly do something
tener- to have, to own
tener lugar- to take place
tener que- to have to do something
volver a- to do (something) again
volverse- to become

need anything else?

Quick Reply

Latest