The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Changing course at Durham

Hi! Currently have an offer to study BA Anthropology at Durham but I’d quite like to switch to BA Sociology (or BA Anthropology and Sociology) as the Anthropology course seems very focused on biological aspects and not social. Is it easy to switch after starting the course? I would ask to switch now but it says Sociology doesn’t have any available vacancies on UCAS (they do but only for international) so I don’t want to ask now, get rejected bc they have no spaces, and then try and and ask again when I start just in case they have any vacancies from people dropping out and get rejected automatically because I had already asked to switch in the summer (idk if it works like that). Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of doing this at Durham specifically? Thank you!
Hi there

This will help:

You can Ask Us to consider your application for another course if it’s open at UCAS and is a different subject area to your original choice (usually based on the academic department the course was from). We'll then consider your application against the criteria for that course and let you know our decision as soon as possible. This will not put your existing offer at risk if we can’t change your course then your existing offer will remain open until you make your replies or until the UCAS reply deadline passes, whichever is sooner.

Even if the course is not open, it's still worth sending them the query because your offer will still be in place.

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

This will help:

You can Ask Us to consider your application for another course if it’s open at UCAS and is a different subject area to your original choice (usually based on the academic department the course was from). We'll then consider your application against the criteria for that course and let you know our decision as soon as possible. This will not put your existing offer at risk if we can’t change your course then your existing offer will remain open until you make your replies or until the UCAS reply deadline passes, whichever is sooner.

Even if the course is not open, it's still worth sending them the query because your offer will still be in place.

Dear Himeka, my daughter is in the same position and asked to switch from Anthropology last week. We haven’t heard anything back… when will we hear? She has her heart set on Durham!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Dear Himeka, my daughter is in the same position and asked to switch from Anthropology last week. We haven’t heard anything back… when will we hear? She has her heart set on Durham!

Could you let me know when you hear back? What is she hoping to change to? ! x
If you can't change at this point, there's always a possibility of changing after results day. I changed from natsci doing mostly biology modules to the chemistry msci this way
Thanks- it’s a high risk strategy tho !
Original post by tinbucket
If you can't change at this point, there's always a possibility of changing after results day. I changed from natsci doing mostly biology modules to the chemistry msci this way
Reply 6
Original post by tinbucket

ooh thank you!!! xxx

Hi there

Unfortunately, I can't tell you when she will hear back since I'm just a student and not connected to the admissions team. I can only signpost you with information so hopefully you'll hear back soon :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

Unfortunately, I can't tell you when she will hear back since I'm just a student and not connected to the admissions team. I can only signpost you with information so hopefully you'll hear back soon :smile:

Hi ! I changed my course, and it took around 14-15 days to hear back with confirmation :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ikarus03
Hi ! I changed my course, and it took around 14-15 days to hear back with confirmation :smile:

could you tell me what you changed to? do you know if it was still open on ucas to apply to? thank you !! xx
Original post by chlxe88
could you tell me what you changed to? do you know if it was still open on ucas to apply to? thank you !! xx

I changed from History to Ancient, Medieval and Modern History (V100 -> V101). I never actually checked ucas apply, sorry ! Hope you manage to switch yours. Happy to answer any other questions :smile:
Reply 12
omg no it’s fine don’t worry thank you !! are you a home student ? and when did you do it ? x
Original post by chlxe88
omg no it’s fine don’t worry thank you !! are you a home student ? and when did you do it ? x

I am a home student ! I emailed around April 4th, I think. They replied the next day, and I had to write a paragraph on why I wanted to change + the benefit I'd get from switching, as well as confirming the two courses. Then I got a response around the 19th or the 20th, with my new offer appearning on UCAS that evening :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by ikarus03
I am a home student ! I emailed around April 4th, I think. They replied the next day, and I had to write a paragraph on why I wanted to change + the benefit I'd get from switching, as well as confirming the two courses. Then I got a response around the 19th or the 20th, with my new offer appearning on UCAS that evening :smile:

omg bless you thank you i’m going to try do that !!! thank you so much. xxx
Original post by chlxe88
omg bless you thank you i’m going to try do that !!! thank you so much. xxx

No worries at all !!!! Good luck, hope you get to change your course <3

Quick Reply

Latest