The Student Room Group

Could I still possibly achieve above a 7 in maths..

As we all know, today ppl as well as I took the maths edexcel paper..Let's just say many ppl found it much harder than imagined (higher, apparently foundation was quite easy). I found it quite simple at the start, and basically jinxed it 💀the questions after the 'easy' ones were a true nightmare. I actually did revise, but didn't understand like idk 2/4 of the questions, especially the end questions worth many marks. Would it be still possible for me to achieve a grade higher than 7 if like I get abt a grade 4 in this paper, and higher on the other 2? My teacher said it was highly possible, + cuz none of us know our results ofc, we can't rlly assume, but like idk I feel like absolute sh1t 😭 I also didn't feel as confident for english and bio...But I hope it went well for everyone <3
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Xiao's tofu
As we all know, today ppl as well as I took the maths edexcel paper..Let's just say many ppl found it much harder than imagined (higher, apparently foundation was quite easy). I found it quite simple at the start, and basically jinxed it 💀the questions after the 'easy' ones were a true nightmare. I actually did revise, but didn't understand like idk 2/4 of the questions, especially the end questions worth many marks. Would it be still possible for me to achieve a grade higher than 7 if like I get abt a grade 4 in this paper, and higher on the other 2? My teacher said it was highly possible, + cuz none of us know our results ofc, we can't rlly assume, but like idk I feel like absolute sh1t 😭 I also didn't feel as confident for english and bio...But I hope it went well for everyone <3

Hey, I took the Edexcel igcse paper today and found it some of the most challenging maths I've ever done (I also take Further Maths). I definitely didn't get the last 2 questions and several previous ones I struggled with. Grade boundaries this year are very low - at least in Jan 2022 they were about 136/200 for a 9 and 111/200 for an 8, meaning you can very easily still get a top grade. Let's say things went badly wrong and you got 50% on today's paper - as long as you then got about 70%+ on paper 2 you'd still be on track for an 8 :smile:
im also an a level maths student, yet I found the end questions to be almost unaccessible, especially for a gcse student, so rest assured the grade boundaries will probably be quite low, the only thing you can do now is move on and focus on your next papers, best of luck, and I hope you do well!

hey i found it awful too and i'm aiming for a grade 8 (grade 9 is a dream but kinda far off). i think even if this paper flopped you can boost your grade with the other 2 papers. it's really easy to focus on everything you got wrong, and overlook how much you got right. try and focus on the future papers now (my plan lmao) - that's all you can control . best of luck! <3
Original post by tch1161
Hey, I took the Edexcel igcse paper today and found it some of the most challenging maths I've ever done (I also take Further Maths). I definitely didn't get the last 2 questions and several previous ones I struggled with. Grade boundaries this year are very low - at least in Jan 2022 they were about 136/200 for a 9 and 111/200 for an 8, meaning you can very easily still get a top grade. Let's say things went badly wrong and you got 50% on today's paper - as long as you then got about 70%+ on paper 2 you'd still be on track for an 8 :smile:

Thank you so much, I feel much more calmer now :h: I was honestly on the verge of a breakdown after the exam, as soon as I got out of the hall. At least now ik I can still achieve a high grade with the remaining papers:biggrin: TYSM AGAIN!
Original post by aadil_9890
im also an a level maths student, yet I found the end questions to be almost unaccessible, especially for a gcse student, so rest assured the grade boundaries will probably be quite low, the only thing you can do now is move on and focus on your next papers, best of luck, and I hope you do well!

TYSM! :h: also may I get ur opinion on a-level maths? is it extremely hard?I mean ik i have already started complaining abt gcse maths and how I probably flopped, but maths could lead to many career paths:s-smilie: so im confused whether it's a good option-
TYSM! :h: also may I get ur opinion on a-level maths? is it extremely hard?I mean ik i have already started complaining abt gcse maths and how I probably flopped, but maths could lead to many career paths:s-smilie: so im confused whether it's a good option-

hey! I take A-Level maths and my whole maths class literally talks about how A-level maths is easier than GCSE in *some* ways. Like the content is much less and if you do enough practice questions, you'll do well! i say you go for it!!
Original post by jodiswellcool
hey i found it awful too and i'm aiming for a grade 8 (grade 9 is a dream but kinda far off). i think even if this paper flopped you can boost your grade with the other 2 papers. it's really easy to focus on everything you got wrong, and overlook how much you got right. try and focus on the future papers now (my plan lmao) - that's all you can control . best of luck! <3

I'll try my very best not to think too much abt it :u: but what if the other papers are much harder? that's the one thing that keeps on getting me worried :') anddd btw do u have any revision tips since my revision method definitely wasnt the most efficient.. I also rlly wanna try and aim for an 8 (or 7 at the very least) but i rlly struggle. Also good luck to u too! I hope u get ur desired grades! <3
Original post by Help_me_pleaseex
hey! I take A-Level maths and my whole maths class literally talks about how A-level maths is easier than GCSE in *some* ways. Like the content is much less and if you do enough practice questions, you'll do well! i say you go for it!!

TYSM, I'M ACTUALLY KINDA CONSIDERING IT 😅
hopefully I manage to get the require grades so I can actually pick it! :u:
Reply 9

I can promise you that you have the potential to get an 8 with LOTS OF PRACTISE QUESTIONS OF HARD TOPICS.
Defintely use the GCSE MATHS TUTOR for hardest questions because he explains them in a lot of depth.
The main thing is not to stress over this as you can always do much better in the other 2 papers
Original post by Ham3a_
I can promise you that you have the potential to get an 8 with LOTS OF PRACTISE QUESTIONS OF HARD TOPICS.
Defintely use the GCSE MATHS TUTOR for hardest questions because he explains them in a lot of depth.
The main thing is not to stress over this as you can always do much better in the other 2 papers

TYSM!! I'll actually try my best this time by starting today. I'LL ATTEMPT ON DOING LOTS OF PRACTISE QUESTIONS ON COMPLICATED TOPICS AND I'LL MAKE SURE TO WATCH THE GCSE MATHS TUTOR PERSON FOR HELP :u:
Is there any specific topics I should try and master by the time the time for the 2nd and 3rd paper??And how many hours should I target to revise to achieve an 8?Again TYSM!
TYSM!! I'll actually try my best this time by starting today. I'LL ATTEMPT ON DOING LOTS OF PRACTISE QUESTIONS ON COMPLICATED TOPICS AND I'LL MAKE SURE TO WATCH THE GCSE MATHS TUTOR PERSON FOR HELP :u:
Is there any specific topics I should try and master by the time the time for the 2nd and 3rd paper??And how many hours should I target to revise to achieve an 8?Again TYSM!

For paper 2 the hard topics could be:
- Hard Venn Diagram questions
- Hard volume of composite solid (very likely)
- Maybe hard circle theorem question
- Possibly a hard ratio question
- Trigonometric functions

For paper 3 the hard topics could be:
- Hard probability questions
- 3D trig questions
- Maybe similar triangles
- Iterative process
- Ratio questions
- Quadratic simulateous equations

Aim to revise for a solid 2 hours every other day, 1 hour every day will be great. Keep in mind your other subjects too.
Wishing you all the best I know you will smash these next exams
Thank you so much, I feel much more calmer now :h: I was honestly on the verge of a breakdown after the exam, as soon as I got out of the hall. At least now ik I can still achieve a high grade with the remaining papers:biggrin: TYSM AGAIN!

I've felt the exact same for basically all my exams - I was predicted straight 9s but idk if I'm capable tbh. I've felt exams this year have been ridiculously hard and no amount of past papers could have prepared me for them. I take mostly iGCSEs so we didn't even get much, if any, advance info, and papers just keep getting harder every year with no means of preparing for them
I also took the igcse math higher tier
the paper was crazy
I struggled on 3 questions but I managed to get an integer for 2 and I gave up right away, but for one about ratios of volume and surface area I think I legit messed it up
I'm a bit worried, given that this year's grade boundaries are likely to be similar to 2019 June, but I do think the marking would be looser and well you always have M marks even if you dont get the B or A marks

Original post by tch1161
Original post by ham3a_
for paper 2 the hard topics could be:
- hard venn diagram questions
- hard volume of composite solid (very likely)
- maybe hard circle theorem question
- possibly a hard ratio question
- trigonometric functions

for paper 3 the hard topics could be:
- hard probability questions
- 3d trig questions
- maybe similar triangles
- iterative process
- ratio questions
- quadratic simulateous equations

aim to revise for a solid 2 hours every other day, 1 hour every day will be great. Keep in mind your other subjects too.
Wishing you all the best i know you will smash these next exams

TYSM!:u:also sorry to have troubled u with all of this!!! I'll make sure to practice these topics till I understand them properly!
(edited 1 year ago)
hello ,I can be able to help you revise and take your exams more confident and get you that A
Original post by tch1161
I've felt the exact same for basically all my exams - I was predicted straight 9s but idk if I'm capable tbh. I've felt exams this year have been ridiculously hard and no amount of past papers could have prepared me for them. I take mostly iGCSEs so we didn't even get much, if any, advance info, and papers just keep getting harder every year with no means of preparing for them

Honestly, I feel like they've been quite harsh this year, they should have tried to idk make all the papers at the very least a little simple, the advanced info wasn't rlly 'helpful', but all I could say is there is no point in us complaining, they won't do anything, also since u have predicted 9s, which is amazing, I'm sure you'll be more than capable of smashing the exams, no matter how difficult they are/may be. Ik you'll do amazing! Pls keep on going, don't lose hope; u along all these other ppl gave me that push I needed when I felt hopeless due to these difficult exams, but we still have some time! Let's both try to do our very best, Ik we can do it
Original post by irene_ adler
hello ,I can be able to help you revise and take your exams more confident and get you that A

Pls do 😅 I've already asked a few people for revision tips/topics I should focus on, but if there is anything else I need to do to aim a high grade, pls do tell :h:
Honestly, I feel like they've been quite harsh this year, they should have tried to idk make all the papers at the very least a little simple, the advanced info wasn't rlly 'helpful', but all I could say is there is no point in us complaining, they won't do anything, also since u have predicted 9s, which is amazing, I'm sure you'll be more than capable of smashing the exams, no matter how difficult they are/may be. Ik you'll do amazing! Pls keep on going, don't lose hope; u along all these other ppl gave me that push I needed when I felt hopeless due to these difficult exams, but we still have some time! Let's both try to do our very best, Ik we can do it

Thanks :smile:)) I'm just trying to get through till half term atm and then I have most of the harder exams done. Sort of. Good luck w all urs :smile:
Original post by tch1161
Thanks :smile:)) I'm just trying to get through till half term atm and then I have most of the harder exams done. Sort of. Good luck w all urs :smile:

Same 😭 and GL with urs too!!!:h:

Quick Reply

Latest