The Student Room Group

Maldaptive daydreaming

Is that normal? I can daydream the whole day, without moving even once in a while, and having musics just aids the experience. Is there somebody else who's like this too?
I deal with a very similar thing
Yessir it’s rare I listen to a whole teachers speech, drawing helps but sometime they look psychotic (I can’t show u mine for reference if u want and no I’m not very mentally ill). The big problem is the scenarios I make which then give me adrenaline and I focus more on the thoughts and it just goes on. Music just makes me want to create scenes tbh
Reply 3
Original post by IDKwhatUsername9
Yessir it’s rare I listen to a whole teachers speech, drawing helps but sometime they look psychotic (I can’t show u mine for reference if u want and no I’m not very mentally ill). The big problem is the scenarios I make which then give me adrenaline and I focus more on the thoughts and it just goes on. Music just makes me want to create scenes tbh

Yeppp, i can literally dream for hours and hours and i still wouldnt be satisfied enough, i’d still get more ideas to daydream on. I feel like this extent aint even normal, i avoid work so bad to daydream, and i wouldnt even realise i am doing it.
Reply 4
How can you overcome it, i rru but its just hard, my brain would take me back to those same trail of thoughts
Original post by Tanyme
How can you overcome it, i rru but its just hard, my brain would take me back to those same trail of thoughts

It takes 3 days to make a habit and 3 months to break it

Make a checklist of stufff you need to do today and stick to it, keep ourself engaged in active thinking towards a physical task - it can be crosswords or listening to music and cleaning your room

Or watch stuff instead of being with your own thoughts a film or documentary maybe you’ll have stuff to talk about with your friends too

daydreaming isn’t beneficial for you, maybe do it before sleeping cause you’re not wasting your time then and you’ve done stuff during the day
Original post by planktion34
It takes 3 days to make a habit and 3 months to break it

Make a checklist of stufff you need to do today and stick to it, keep ourself engaged in active thinking towards a physical task - it can be crosswords or listening to music and cleaning your room

Or watch stuff instead of being with your own thoughts a film or documentary maybe you’ll have stuff to talk about with your friends too

daydreaming isn’t beneficial for you, maybe do it before sleeping cause you’re not wasting your time then and you’ve done stuff during the day

I think it’s a bit more difficult than this, for me for example, it’s not just like a habit I picked up, I’ve had it since being a very very young child (since ny earliest memories) there is actually quite a lot of conditions that can be linked with maladaptive day dreaming (like ADHD and OCD) and although the link is unclear, that could possibly make it harder to stop.

Therapy like CBT, and meds for OCD have shown to help reduce maladaptive dreaming, but it’s not necessarily something you can just stop like that with will power
Original post by Tanyme
Is that normal? I can daydream the whole day, without moving even once in a while, and having musics just aids the experience. Is there somebody else who's like this too?

I used to daydream all the time 24/7 but I think about two years ago, I started to link daydreaming with moving so if I started to daydream, I'd walk or jump. I still daydream but I can't do it sitting/sleeping etc. only if I'm walking and being physically active. It helped reduce the daydreaming and also keep me more active (although mom looks at me weird when I'm jumping all about the house).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mocha Latte
I used to daydream all the time 24/7 but I think about two years ago, I started to link daydreaming with moving so if I started to daydream, I'd walk or jump. I still daydream but I can't do it sitting/sleeping etc. only if I'm walking and being physically active. It helped reduce the daydreaming and also keep me more active (although mom looks at me weird when I'm jumping all about the house).

Same with me
Original post by Tanyme

Sure, making new ideas with your dreams is fun. Sort of like a spiritual thing.

Quick Reply

Latest