The Student Room Group

I feel like I screwed up my maths exam :((

I had my GCSE maths non-calc paper yesterday (the actual one) and I feel like I screwed up that paper because I made so many miscalculations. Some of the questions did trip me up (but I would’ve solved them easily
if I had a calculator) and now I’ve lost all confidence for the next maths exam. Out of 80 marks, I reckon I might get 64-65. It’s still a 9, but I was expecting a much higher score.

I’m not looking at any unofficial mark schemes because I feel like it would make me feel worse about my outcome.

Although I studied lots on maths for these exams, I feel like the main reason I messed up is because I didn’t practice much maths without a calculator. I did almost every question I came across with my calculator, so I feel more secure when doing papers 2 and 3 compared to paper 1. When I did IGCSE in year 10, the exam board I studied for didn’t have a non-calculator exam, so naturally I was bad at calculating with pen and paper alone. I did improve a lot, but I still made many silly errors.

I’m just scared that my grade would be brought down a bit because of a bad paper. I’m predicted a 9 in maths, and I need a grade 8 minimum to do further maths in A level (although I’m aiming for a 9 so that I can transition to A level maths a bit more easily).

I’m trying to console myself by telling myself that it was only 3 or 4 questions in the paper which were particularly tough (out of 21), and that many people would feel the same way as I am. But it doesn’t feel like it’s working :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey,

I would say I am in the same boat as you, I also am worried that I will get mid/low 60s but ultimately there is nothing I can do about that now. I made some silly mistakes/ was just wrong in one q, but that is ok.

All you and I can do now is work hard for the next two papers which as you have said are your stronger ones. So if you get higher marks on those papers then you will be fine :smile:. Even if you do similarly on those papers you will still be around the grade boundary for a 9 and this year with slightly lower grade boundaries you're more likely to be in the boundary especially as the paper was found difficult nationally.

So don't worry about it anymore, if it isn't too worrisome just think of the errors you made and write them down and try and rectify them if possible during your revision for the next papers.

Now stop worrying(it doesn't help you in anyway)! I'm sure you will do fine :smile:
Hey, I feel the same way 😭 I did horrible on that exam and made so many stupid mistakes on it that I only realised after. But its done now and you can’t go back so the only thing you can do is look forwards. The next two will be calculator so I hope you’ll feel more confident after them (I’m hoping the same for myself as well). Good luckk! I believe in youu!

Original post by totallynotshri
I had my GCSE maths non-calc paper yesterday (the actual one) and I feel like I screwed up that paper because I made so many miscalculations. Some of the questions did trip me up (but I would’ve solved them easily
if I had a calculator) and now I’ve lost all confidence for the next maths exam. Out of 80 marks, I reckon I might get 64-65. It’s still a 9, but I was expecting a much higher score.

I’m not looking at any unofficial mark schemes because I feel like it would make me feel worse about my outcome.

Although I studied lots on maths for these exams, I feel like the main reason I messed up is because I didn’t practice much maths without a calculator. I did almost every question I came across with my calculator, so I feel more secure when doing papers 2 and 3 compared to paper 1. When I did IGCSE in year 10, the exam board I studied for didn’t have a non-calculator exam, so naturally I was bad at calculating with pen and paper alone. I did improve a lot, but I still made many silly errors.

I’m just scared that my grade would be brought down a bit because of a bad paper. I’m predicted a 9 in maths, and I need a grade 8 minimum to do further maths in A level (although I’m aiming for a 9 so that I can transition to A level maths a bit more easily).

I’m trying to console myself by telling myself that it was only 3 or 4 questions in the paper which were particularly tough (out of 21), and that many people would feel the same way as I am. But it doesn’t feel like it’s working :frown:
Hey, actually you should be glad you're taking GCSE not iGCSE. Seriously that paper I took on Friday was CRAZY... A lot of people were crying after the exam it was so scary. I felt like it was a further pure maths paper not a core maths paper, not mentioning the grade boundaries this year is going to be even more tight
Ya so bro don't feel so stressed there's always someone who did worse than you
Reply 4
Original post by Eunice Mak
Hey, actually you should be glad you're taking GCSE not iGCSE. Seriously that paper I took on Friday was CRAZY... A lot of people were crying after the exam it was so scary. I felt like it was a further pure maths paper not a core maths paper, not mentioning the grade boundaries this year is going to be even more tight

Maybe they have higher standards for themselves though and not reaching your own standards just feels horrid. Worse people may not have as high standards and if the op doesn’t feel they reached the potential they could have then that just feels very bad even though their mark may not be bad at all.

Also someone with same standards doing worse is still invalid cos that is them and this is the op so ye.
hey,

Honestly feel the same and I just feel really bad because I've been predicted and working at a 9 for two years and i'm pretty sure i've lost around 20 marks because of stupid mistakes and just not being able to think straight in the exam. I really want a 9 but I'm not sure I'm going to achieve that and i've been feeling sad abt it because i want my grades to reflect my hard work. it's so annoying because i did so many past papers and was getting 75+ in them to go and mess up in the real exam is just so upsetting :frown:

it means that if i want to get a 9 i really don't have the space to make errors in paper 2 and 3 but those are my weaker papers and i've literally been feeling sick since i came home...i hate edexcel smh
Reply 6
Original post by calicogal
hey,

Honestly feel the same and I just feel really bad because I've been predicted and working at a 9 for two years and i'm pretty sure i've lost around 20 marks because of stupid mistakes and just not being able to think straight in the exam. I really want a 9 but I'm not sure I'm going to achieve that and i've been feeling sad abt it because i want my grades to reflect my hard work. it's so annoying because i did so many past papers and was getting 75+ in them to go and mess up in the real exam is just so upsetting :frown:

it means that if i want to get a 9 i really don't have the space to make errors in paper 2 and 3 but those are my weaker papers and i've literally been feeling sick since i came home...i hate edexcel smh

Oh no - what kinds of mistakes are happening to everyone though because I just want to know (I am not near GCSEs so ye I haven’t a clue)

Edexcel = :evil:
AQA = :fill-in-the-gap-pls:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by calicogal
hey,

omg SAME dsjkfskf I literally fell sick today

In many of the past papers I did, I manage to get around 70 marks! I think the key here is to get used to working under a time limit - practicing each past paper in only 1 hour 30 minutes. Usually, the main reason for making errors is because of the anxiety induced from time and pressure. And don't worry about it - you'll definitely get a 9, it's just the total mark (out of 240) which counts.

Planning to do this a lot now so that I feel far more confident for papers 2 and 3 :smile:
Original post by Inc3me
Maybe they have higher standards for themselves though and not reaching your own standards just feels horrid. Worse people may not have as high standards and if the op doesn’t feel they reached the potential they could have then that just feels very bad even though their mark may not be bad at all.

Also someone with same standards doing worse is still invalid cos that is them and this is the op so ye.

Original post by Eunice Mak

I agree with Inc3me.

Yes, I do have very high expectations for myself, to the point where my parents are putting a lot of pressure on me so that I absolutely smash these exams. I'm trying to get into a top grammar school and my predicted grades are really high so that's adding to the pressure too :s-smilie: :frown:

I feel like I could've done WAYYY better in the exam if I wasn't constrained to only 1 hour 30 minutes. There was a question where the answer was so simple, but I somehow forgot how to do it because there was so much pressure. :frown:

I know that there are people who did worse than me, but those same people may not be expecting really high marks or want to get top grades, so their result is reasonable.
Reply 9
Original post by totallynotshri
I agree with Inc3me.

Yes, I do have very high expectations for myself, to the point where my parents are putting a lot of pressure on me so that I absolutely smash these exams. I'm trying to get into a top grammar school and my predicted grades are really high so that's adding to the pressure too :s-smilie: :frown:

I feel like I could've done WAYYY better in the exam if I wasn't constrained to only 1 hour 30 minutes. There was a question where the answer was so simple, but I somehow forgot how to do it because there was so much pressure. :frown:

I know that there are people who did worse than me, but those same people may not be expecting really high marks or want to get top grades, so their result is reasonable.

Oh no, blanking is the worst. I am not sure how else to say it but in an exam like people never do well under stress - it’s a fact.

Quick Reply

Latest