The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Oxford

Hi! I’m asking this question again cuz I still want to give myself another shot at my lifelong dream - is it worth reapplying to Oxford after a gap year?

I was rejected from Oxford after 3 interviews for law. I currently hold 4 other offers from UCL, LSE, KCL, and QMUL. So I have a few things to consider:

- I know the 2022 cycle is incredibly tough with grade inflation, but it could be even more competitive next year, so I’d risk losing my current offers
- I haven’t planned what I am going to do for the gap year
- However, I know that LSE and UCL are pretty reputable for law, but from what I’ve gathered nowhere near oxbridge in terms of representation in the magic circle
- Also, from the feedback I’ve got from the colleges, I know I really was close to an offer with a decent lnat score and interview performance

So is it worth reapplying after a gap year?

Scroll to see replies

I've been debating the same thing. But my position will be a bit different as i hope to apply this September to Oxford and also attend LSE as a law student. If offered a place, i will start Oxford from September 2023, else continue as a second year student at LSE.

Is this a good idea?
Reply 2
Original post by the.night.we.met
I've been debating the same thing. But my position will be a bit different as i hope to apply this September to Oxford and also attend LSE as a law student. If offered a place, i will start Oxford from September 2023, else continue as a second year student at LSE.

Is this a good idea?

hey same!!! I also firmed LSE law and plan to go there while reapplying to Oxford!

I thought about it for a while and concluded that this would be the best situation cuz in case I don’t get an offer, I’ll just continue at LSE and I have nothing to lose
Reply 3
The only problem is whether I should tell Oxford that I’m already a year one student at another uni, or will they actually find out if I don’t make it clear in my personal statement
Original post by gianna103
The only problem is whether I should tell Oxford that I’m already a year one student at another uni, or will they actually find out if I don’t make it clear in my personal statement

I think i'll mention it. It'll also compensate for what we do in the gap year.
Hi! I’m asking this question again cuz I still want to give myself another shot at my lifelong dream - is it worth reapplying to Oxford after a gap year?

I was rejected from Oxford after 3 interviews for law. I currently hold 4 other offers from UCL, LSE, KCL, and QMUL. So I have a few things to consider:

- I know the 2022 cycle is incredibly tough with grade inflation, but it could be even more competitive next year, so I’d risk losing my current offers
- However, I know that LSE and UCL are pretty reputable for law, but from what I’ve gathered nowhere near oxbridge in terms of representation in the magic circle
- Also, from the feedback I’ve got from the colleges, I know I really was close to an offer with a decent lnat score and interview performance

Up to you, but I would go to UCL.

This isn't a problem in the sense of making a decision - you are required to tell them. Lying in your application is really not a good idea.

It may be a problem in the sense that the person writing your reference in that situation will normally be your current uni tutor, who chances are will have met you about three times tops by mid October.
You'll have to put it on UCAS thst you are at uni ....
You’ve already got offers from such great, prestigious, competitive universities (compounded by the fact that law is so competitive) so I think the best option is to go to the one you prefer. I’m just in year 12 though so I don’t know what your teachers etc have been recommending.
Original post by Flibbler
When I said I didn’t reapply, that’s technically not true.

I went to another uni, didn’t like it, and then half-heartedly sent off another Oxford application while I was there. Exactly what you guys are considering. First time around I got to interview. Second time around I actually did way better in the entrance exam than the first time but didn’t even make it to interview.

This leads me to suspect Oxford are reluctant to take people who are applying while actually already at other unis.

^^ I would emphasis this - there is much more than anecdotal evidence. Oxford themselves say they will only consider people applying while at university in exceptional individual circumstances. I.e. unless you have a very good reason (not just wanting to hedge your bets) you will be rejected straight off.

hey same!!! I also firmed LSE law and plan to go there while reapplying to Oxford!

I thought about it for a while and concluded that this would be the best situation cuz in case I don’t get an offer, I’ll just continue at LSE and I have nothing to lose
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
^^ I would emphasis this - there is much more than anecdotal evidence. Oxford themselves say they will only consider people applying while at university in exceptional individual circumstances. I.e. unless you have a very good reason (not just wanting to hedge your bets) you will be rejected straight off.

This is true, they recently officially declared that you need exceptional circumstances to reapply while at another UK university, here’s the webpage: https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNjUzMTQ1NzczL2dlbi8xNjUzMTQ1NzczL3NpZC9mVWwlN0VnNU01bGFmVDQwbU1XTDhxeHhhbUp6WHdMemxtSGlQVkFNOVJDbklfcDk2eDZMZVVtTEhwdXdkVmRDRldkTGxPSFFtQlhQODA0c3BjNmhWdjZRckh3WkhKTHJvMDBRZlBJWm9FejFlVjJ2YlFZZDNya2xxUSUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

I remember reading a post somewhere on here from someone who knew someone at Oxford who did not disclose that they were at another university when reapplying. IIRC, their tutors found out without the person telling them and were very upset, they had to switch colleges, and were nearly kicked out of the university altogether. So not recommended.
Pretty sure LSE is equally represented as Oxbridge at "Magic Circle" firms. It may not be quite as well represented at the Bar but that is another matter entirely.

LSE is also, for what it's worth, more competitive for law than either Oxford or Cambridge. Just go to LSE, if you really want you can do an LLM or the BCL at Cambridge/Oxford respectively.

Again also, for what it's worth, LSE grads have higher average salaries than Oxbridge graduates in the legal sector (in fact they have the highest average salaries of all UK unis, and are only "beaten" by overseas law grads). SOAS is, incidentally, the second highest.

Clearly, you aren't going to be in a bad position going to LSE.

You have to disclose all attempted qualifications on UCAS, which includes the current degree you would be doing in that situation. Oxford also are somewhat restrictive about applicants from other unis reapplying while they are at the other uni, and require "strong support" from your current uni - which since you have to apply by October 15th, about 2 weeks into the course, you won't get. Therefore you end up having to apply in second year (in which case I hope you have £10k lying around to self fund those tuition fees because you will not get full funding for another degree at that point) or taking a gap year after leaving your current course after year 1.
Original post by artful_lounger
Clearly, you aren't going to be in a bad position going to LSE.

Agree with you on this. But I also understand OP.

Obviously law is so prestige-driven and there’s a real need to get into the best possible school for career prospects. Despite having firmed LSE myself, I doubt their graduates have higher average salaries than Oxbridge graduates, or at least that’s not what I see on most rankings. And Oxbridge carries such an unparalleled tag in the UK and even more so internationally so it’s understandable why people can’t resist the urge to reapply.

But given that how infeasible it is to reapply whilst at first year, guess we just have to move on.
H

Oh is that right? Will hopefully see you this September then!
This discussion drove me to deciding that i will reapply but also clearly mention my current uni (LSE hopefully). I don't care if they automatically reject me, just want to give it another go. And i don't want to lose my current places under any circumstances too.
Original post by arlene1202

Obviously law is so prestige-driven and there’s a real need to get into the best possible school for career prospects. Despite having firmed LSE myself, I doubt their graduates have higher average salaries than Oxbridge graduates, or at least that’s not what I see on most rankings. And Oxbridge carries such an unparalleled tag in the UK and even more so internationally so it’s understandable why people can’t resist the urge to reapply.

But given that how infeasible it is to reapply whilst at first year, guess we just have to move on.

This might be of help! https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/p/27/c/246
UCL and LSE are fantastic unis and you’re really not going to be at a disadvantage going there. I just don’t think it’s smart to throw those offers away and reapply to Oxford where statistically you’re more likely to be rejected again.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by arlene1202

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/universities-and-graduate-earnings while Chambers Student is a rather questionable source for many things they have at least done the data collection on this and its quite plain that if you accept their methodology that LSE grads on average have higher earnings than Oxbridge grads (although they note this is for solicitors only and does not factor in Barristers and as I noted Oxbridge is strongly represented at the Bar).

Of course there are various factors that may explain this (Oxbridge grads may be more likely to go to the Bar than to become solicitors, and thus have fewer data points in the first place; more may go into e.g. academia or non-legal careers; LSE students tend to be very career driven and focused in the first place, more so than Oxbridge students, so may be more likely to have work experience etc to get them into good TCs in the first place, etc).

(these are also pre-COVID numbers)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sterling1414
I remember reading a post somewhere on here from someone who knew someone at Oxford who did not disclose that they were at another university when reapplying. IIRC, their tutors found out without the person telling them and were very upset, they had to switch colleges, and were nearly kicked out of the university altogether. So not recommended.

That might have been a post I made - can confirm my tutors were pissed and the person in question ended up moving to a different college. This happened quite a few years ago though (I graduated in 2014) so I'm not sure what the current procedure is. Either way, I agree that it's best to be honest and declare all information upfront rather than lie by omission.

To be completely honest, I don't think there's a significant difference between Oxbridge and LSE/ UCL when it comes to magic circle (or top tier US law firms). I trained and worked at a magic circle and all four universities were well represented. If your goal is to work at a top tier commercial law firm, LSE/ UCL will serve you just as well as Oxbridge in my view.

I do think an Oxbridge undergrad might make a difference when it comes to the Bar (especially if you aim to join a top tier set like One Essex or Fountain Court), and possibly academia as well. Obviously it is entirely possible to do undergrad at LSE/ UCL followed by the Oxford BCL (Cambridge LLM is significantly less represented for barristers), but my overall impression is that Oxbridge undergrad + Oxford BCL is the most favourable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending