The Student Room Group

Is it necessary to do an essay subject at a level?

Currently I’m going to study maths, further maths, physics and music at a level but have heard that unis look for an essay subject if u have masses of maths (as I do). Is that true? I’m debating switching fm with geography as I’m not sure I would do massively well but still unsure. Will probably stick with fm but would it disadvantage me not having a writing subject or is music good enough to tick that box??? Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kayeem
Currently I’m going to study maths, further maths, physics and music at a level but have heard that unis look for an easy subject if u have masses of maths (as I do). Is that true? I’m debating switching fm with geography as I’m not sure I would do massively well but still unsure. Will probably stick with fm but would it disadvantage me not having a writing subject or is music good enough to tick that box??? Thanks

It depends what you want to study at university. If you want to study a STEM subject, then it shouldn't be an issue. If you want to apply for a humanities course that is heavy on essays, it might make you a less desirable candidate.
What do you mean by 'easy subject' and why would Unis 'look for this?

The entry requirements for each coursewill be listed on the relevant course page on each individual Uni's website - what is required or 'preferred' etc. There are no secrets - no 'information that only special people know'.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
im in yr11 so dont rely purely on my comment but i think it's only vital to have an essay based subject if you're going towards a career which involves writing and analysing e.g law, for science or maths related degrees i dont see how an essay based subject would help
Original post by kayeem
...have heard that unis look for an easy subject if u have masses of maths (as I do).

Original post by McGinger

I might be wrong but, given the context, I assume the OP meant essay subjects.
Reply 5

The entry requirements for each coursewill be listed on the relevant course page on each individual Uni's website - what is required or 'preferred' etc. There are no secrets - no 'information that only special people know'.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

oops sorry typo! i meant essay subject, since maths fm physics is pretty maths related only
Original post by kayeem
oops sorry typo! i meant essay subject, since maths fm physics is pretty maths related only

What Uni subject are are you aiming at?
Original post by kayeem

Have we just witnessed an example of a Freudian slip? :wink2:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
What Uni subject are are you aiming at?

I was looking to do engineering but I heard even if it’s a stem related course they still look for some sort of writing, was unsure how true that actually was though
Original post by kayeem
I was looking to do engineering but I heard even if it’s a stem related course they still look for some sort of writing, was unsure how true that actually was though

You can do engineering with maths, fm and physics.
Unis don’t want or need essay based subjects unless they specifically ask for them.

Maths, FM & Physics is a hugely popular combination.
Original post by kayeem

You don't need to do an essay subject to do engineering. Your writing skills will be shown in your personal statement anyway, and the majority of people applying won't have an essay subject. Your GCSE grades will also include some essay subjects, so you don't need to worry :smile:
I suspect that very few people who apply for engineering have an essay subject.

Please don't pay any attention to "I heard that..." beyond checking it out. The information you need will be on the universities' webpages for the subjects in question. There aren't secret requirements - if they want you to have an essay subject then it will be listed as one of the requirements or recommendations. There is a LOT of regurgitated nonsense which goes round on forums like this, often originating in entrance rules which are one or even two generations out of date (I saw "I heard that you need Latin to get into Oxford" the other day, which hasn't been true since 1960).
Original post by kayeem
I was looking to do engineering but I heard even if it’s a stem related course they still look for some sort of writing

They dont - and if they did, they would specify this in the entry requirements.

They want Maths, and usually more Maths, Physics or Engineering - and evidence of your interest in the area.
Have a look at the entry requirements for courses at these Unis as examples :
Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/faculty-of-engineering-design-undergraduate-courses/#course-entries-2023
Sheffield - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/engineering/about/what-you-can-study
Loughborough - https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/subjects/mechanical-electrical-and-manufacturing/

Quick Reply