The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Medicine at Manchester

I’m a Medicine offer holder for Manchester. How is first year like?
I’m someone from London, so how does the city differ compared to where I’m from?
As a Muslim, I’m also wondering if partying and alcohol is an issue in accommodation.
Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated
Original post by modulus123
I’m someone from London, so how does the city differ compared to where I’m from?
As a Muslim, I’m also wondering if partying and alcohol is an issue in accommodation.

Hi! Congrats on your offer! I think Uttley house does not allow alcohol, so you should defo send an email asking for that. Best of luck xx
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by modulus123

I am a 1st year at UOM doing med. If you want to avoid partying or alcohol, you are better off looking at accommodation in the City Centre, going private or having a look around the UOM housing and just emailing them.

In the 1st semester, you cover life cycles (birth to old age) which will cover a variety of common diseases and physiological aspects. Semester 2 will cover Cardiorespiratory and Haematology. During the week you normally have 2 PBL sessions, anatomy/dissection, consultation skills and online lectures. You are pretty much guaranteed to get 1 day off from Mon-Fri, and you don't have more than 5-7 contact hours a week as most of the work compromises research and self-study. You only have 2 written exams that determine if you pass/fail the year and OSCEs at the end of the year in May, which again determine if you pass/fail the year and progress to Y2. You also have reading weeks, every 3rd week in S1, which is just a week off to consolidate all of the content and relax.

Manchester compared to LDN is smaller however there is still tons of stuff to explore, from Northern Quarter to Deansgate. It caters for pretty much everything but just on a smaller scale than London. I would advise just watching a few YT videos online of what Manchester is like, and in the summer just visiting the city for a day or two. Train tickets are pretty cheap and the main way I get from LDN-MCR.
Hi, if I am looking for accommodations within walking distance (about 30mins) to lecture/lesson buildings for 1st year medicine students, where areas should I be looking at. Appreciate if you could advise on the which of the campus the medicine lessons are mainly conducted. Would something like Wilmslow Park be suitable?
Original post by simplealpha
Hi, if I am looking for accommodations within walking distance (about 30mins) to lecture/lesson buildings for 1st year medicine students, where areas should I be looking at. Appreciate if you could advise on the which of the campus the medicine lessons are mainly conducted. Would something like Wilmslow Park be suitable?

Anything from Fallowfield is a 30min walk to Stopford Building (med school). If you want to be less in the party area, go for City Centre or Victoria Park.
Most students buy a bus pass with Stagecoach (£280 for 1yr) as it rains quite a bit in MCR, so it's ideal for getting the bus when you can.

Wilmslow Park is a 5-minute walk to the med building, so you can wake up pretty late and still make it on time.

All of Y1/Y2 medicine is in Stopford Building. This goes for PBL, anatomy, phys/pharm, consultation skills the whole lot. The engineering building was only used during the 1st week as it's the only way to get all of the 500ish med students into 1 lecture hall. After Y2, you will be on placements and won't really come back to Stopford unless it's for OSCEs etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by atmospherity
I am a 1st year at UOM doing med. If you want to avoid partying or alcohol, you are better off looking at accommodation in the City Centre, going private or having a look around the UOM housing and just emailing them.

In the 1st semester, you cover life cycles (birth to old age) which will cover a variety of common diseases and physiological aspects. Semester 2 will cover Cardiorespiratory and Haematology. During the week you normally have 2 PBL sessions, anatomy/dissection, consultation skills and online lectures. You are pretty much guaranteed to get 1 day off from Mon-Fri, and you don't have more than 5-7 contact hours a week as most of the work compromises research and self-study. You only have 2 written exams that determine if you pass/fail the year and OSCEs at the end of the year in May, which again determine if you pass/fail the year and progress to Y2. You also have reading weeks, every 3rd week in S1, which is just a week off to consolidate all of the content and relax.

Manchester compared to LDN is smaller however there is still tons of stuff to explore, from Northern Quarter to Deansgate. It caters for pretty much everything but just on a smaller scale than London. I would advise just watching a few YT videos online of what Manchester is like, and in the summer just visiting the city for a day or two. Train tickets are pretty cheap and the main way I get from LDN-MCR.

Do you have any general tips to ace the first year at Uom? (Things you wish you did in the academic sense .)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending