The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Changing course at Warwick after accepting offer

Just emailed Warwick to see if I’d be able to switch course. I have the required grades for the other course and have accepted the offer they gave me for my other one. Does anyone know how likely they will be able to switch my course?
Original post by Anonymous
Just emailed Warwick to see if I’d be able to switch course. I have the required grades for the other course and have accepted the offer they gave me for my other one. Does anyone know how likely they will be able to switch my course?

If the new course is in the same department as the course you've been accepted to then it's very likely you can switch.
If not, it depends on how competitive the new course is and if they have any spaces left available.

I'd strongly recommend calling the university as you'll get a response much quicker and they can tell you straight away about the liklehood of a transfer.
(edited 1 year ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Thanks for the quick reply. It’s not same department but the course has really high entry requirements (A*A*A with an 8 in gcse maths) which I meet and not many people actually apply for it. Not sure about competitiveness. Do you recommend still calling even after I’ve sent an email explaining my situation. Thanks again for being respectful
Original post by Quadrinomial
If the new course is in the same department as the course you've been accepted to then it's very likely you can switch.
If not, it depends on how competitive the new course is and if they have any spaces left available.

I'd strongly recommend calling the university as you'll get a response much quicker and they can tell you straight away about the liklehood of a transfer.
Reply 3

It will depend if the course still has spaces, when i asked to swap course from MathPhys to straight maths i was unable to because the maths course was already full.
Depends very much on which course you are trying to switch to. Generally for their flagship departments (maths, economics, CS, the business school) you should not expect to be able to switch into, at least for the single honours courses.

In any case, there's no harm in asking (they can't rescind your offer) and you would be best asking ASAP as the longer you wait, the less chance there will be of switching!
(edited 1 year ago)
Yh that’s why I’m not sure. It’s to economics, politics and international studies which I think is quite competitive. But the grades are really high and I have them, making me think not as many people apply and those who do get in if they have the grades. Thanks for the help
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends very much on which course you are trying to switch to. Generally for their flagship departments (maths, economics, CS, the business school) you should not expect to be able to switch into, at least for the single honours courses.

In any case, there's no harm in asking (they can't rescind your offer) and you would be best asking ASAP as the longer you wait, the less chance there will be of switching!
Not many people do the course I want to switch to. It’s quite a niche course at Warwick. Would that’s mean it wouldn’t hurt to just have 1 more person on the course?

Original post by Skiwi
It will depend if the course still has spaces, when i asked to swap course from MathPhys to straight maths i was unable to because the maths course was already full.
Do you hold an offer for an Economics course? If not, I'm doubtful you'll be able to switch since the application deadline has long passed and I'd imagine they'll be pretty happy with their numbers by now. But you might as well see what they see what they say if they reply to your email. If they don't reply within a week or two then maybe give them a call.

The only "un-competitive" economics course I've heard of is EPP (Economics, Psychology and Philosophy) which was in clearing one year. I don't think any other economics courses were. I doubt Economics and Politics would be a niche course.
Not many people do the course I want to switch to. It’s quite a niche course at Warwick. Would that’s mean it wouldn’t hurt to just have 1 more person on the course?
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for the quick reply. It’s not same department but the course has really high entry requirements (A*A*A with an 8 in gcse maths) which I meet and not many people actually apply for it. Not sure about competitiveness. Do you recommend still calling even after I’ve sent an email explaining my situation. Thanks again for being respectful

Yes, you should call them. You can tell them you've sent an email and they should forward it on to the relevant department on the call.
Nah I’m not saying like niche as in easy to get into but not many people take it coz it’s economics, politics and international studies which not many other unis do courses like as well as the grade requirements are really high. I don’t hold an economics offer but I do a politics. I know that makes it harder but I have all the grades required so I though I might as well. Thanks for the help

Original post by _gcx
Do you hold an offer for an Economics course? If not, I'm doubtful you'll be able to switch since the application deadline has long passed and I'd imagine they'll be pretty happy with their numbers by now. But you might as well see what they see what they say if they reply to your email. If they don't reply within a week or two then maybe give them a call.

The only "un-competitive" economics course I've heard of is EPP (Economics, Psychology and Philosophy) which was in clearing one year. I don't think any other economics courses were. I doubt Economics and Politics would be a niche course.

did u manage to switch? in a similar position as u

Quick Reply

Latest