The Student Room Group

OCR A- level Latin!!

Anyone doing Latin language exam on Monday? How are we feeling about it!!
absolutely terrified tbh - im still at a B level and I really need an A in this subject
ahhhhh
Reply 2
Original post by Cat.killeen
absolutely terrified tbh - im still at a B level and I really need an A in this subject
ahhhhh

My grade changes literally every translation and a terrible verse will be my downfall. Iโ€™ve just been trying to do as many translations and learn all the vocab and grammar. Itโ€™s just so annoying when you come across so many new words!
terrified, i'm hoping for a good ovid aka a myth i know!

i'm only going to be revising latin this weekend so hopefully i'll be alright...
Reply 4
Original post by ScoutLeopard
terrified, i'm hoping for a good ovid aka a myth i know!

i'm only going to be revising latin this weekend so hopefully i'll be alright...

Yeah literally the amount of Ovid metamorphoses translations Iโ€™ve done Iโ€™ll be so happy if one comes up that I recognise๐Ÿ˜‚ I always count on lit to pull up my grade but hopefully all the vocab learning has been worth it and actually helps even though itโ€™s probably going to be very bad. Good luck!!
(edited 1 year ago)
I am the furthest behind in Latin in my class and still canโ€™t do 15 markers for lit
Reply 6
Original post by Iapyxisthebest
I am the furthest behind in Latin in my class and still canโ€™t do 15 markers for lit

No you are not you just need to believe in yourself. Learn the style points and donโ€™t waffle. And Pagasus is the best.
It's so infuriating the amount of vocab in past paper unseens which include so much vocab that we not only don't know but have no chance of being able to work out. How are people doing in unseen past papers? I've done the June 2019 one and the November 2020 one and got around 58-60% each time. Bit worried it won't be enough for an A.
Reply 8
Original post by markyyyO
It's so infuriating the amount of vocab in past paper unseens which include so much vocab that we not only don't know but have no chance of being able to work out. How are people doing in unseen past papers? I've done the June 2019 one and the November 2020 one and got around 58-60% each time. Bit worried it won't be enough for an A.

Are you learning the as OCR vocab list, exegi monumentum and 300 verse common words? Iโ€™m writing down any new vocab I come across but thereโ€™s just so many new ones in every translation
I am learning the OCR AS vocab list for Prose and the verse vocab lists at the back of the Ovid unseens book. Haven't come across exegi monumentum yet. I think writing down new words is a good idea but I don't know if I'll have time to learn them all, there are so many.
Reply 10
How did everyone find the translations??
Original post by Jla244
How did everyone find the translations??

I found Prose pretty good actually, although in verse I think I slightly mistranslated a huge swathe of the middle of it, but i'm pretty sure i got the gist of both of them. Were quite difficult though. And scansion was fine I think. How did everyone else find it
Reply 12
I found it relatively ok, there were a couple lines of verse I couldn't make sense of but I think the prose went well and was as a whole slightly easier than some of the past papers from recent years, hope everyone did ok x
So annoyed I missed the elision in the scansion lols but could have been a much harder paper imo! happy with it :smile:
I guessed some of the middle feet in the scansion, but ended up with 6 feet in each line at least.I think both translation went well, but depends what they consider a minor or major error in some parts
Reply 15
Quite happy with the prose- there wasnโ€™t much tricky vocab in either translation. The time went so quickly so had to rush the middle speech part of the verse which was quite confusing anyway but not terrible overall and the unseen is definitely my weakest paper!
How did people find today's exam? (Or is there another thread for that?) Did you do composition or comprehension?

I did prose comp, and thought it mainly went okay, but I messed around with the English in places I forgot the words
Reply 17
Did the comprehension. Found it decent and pretty good to make sense of but donโ€™t wanna jinx anything.๐Ÿ˜‚

Quick Reply