The Student Room Group

WJEC Chem Practical Endorsement Pass

Hi, my daughter has a conditional offer to study Chemistry and says she has to pass the practical. From what I can see the practical endorsement outside wales is assessed through a minimum of12 practicals throughout the course by the teacher. Is this the same in Wales or is the pass based on the Unit 5 practical exam? Assuming if it’s the exam the she’d need to get a grade E in that element….is this correct?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by katStev
Hi, my daughter has a conditional offer to study Chemistry and says she has to pass the practical. From what I can see the practical endorsement outside wales is assessed through a minimum of12 practicals throughout the course by the teacher. Is this the same in Wales or is the pass based on the Unit 5 practical exam? Assuming if it’s the exam the she’d need to get a grade E in that element….is this correct?

if it's an endorsement, it's not graded from A* to E, it's pass or fail. I don't do WJEC A-Level Chemistry but I do A-Level Chemistry OCR A and we also have a practical endorsement where we have to complete a minimum of 12 practicals which is pass or fail.
I'm not sure of WJEC, but the specification should say what percentage of exams and endorsements contribute to the final grade so I would recommend looking at that. if it turns out to be assessed outside of exams, it means that your daughter does it in lessons instead of an exam hall and it's a pass or fail thing.

when it's pass or fail, it means she must pass ALL of the practicals she completed because if she fails even just 1, then she fails the whole practical endorsement.
Original post by JA03
if it's an endorsement, it's not graded from A* to E, it's pass or fail. I don't do WJEC A-Level Chemistry but I do A-Level Chemistry OCR A and we also have a practical endorsement where we have to complete a minimum of 12 practicals which is pass or fail.
I'm not sure of WJEC, but the specification should say what percentage of exams and endorsements contribute to the final grade so I would recommend looking at that. if it turns out to be assessed outside of exams, it means that your daughter does it in lessons instead of an exam hall and it's a pass or fail thing.

when it's pass or fail, it means she must pass ALL of the practicals she completed because if she fails even just 1, then she fails the whole practical endorsement.

That's not how it works for wjec it is graded from A* to E
Reply 3
Original post by corktrees
That's not how it works for wjec it is graded from A* to E

So is it just one overall grade or is there a separate grade for the practical part?
Original post by katStev
So is it just one overall grade or is there a separate grade for the practical part?

there are 2 practical exams which have their own grade boundaries from A*-E then one overall chem grade
Reply 5
Original post by corktrees
there are 2 practical exams which have their own grade boundaries from A*-E then one overall chem grade

Thankyou

Quick Reply