The Student Room Group

concentration problems

i've noticed when i'm studying i tend to get worn out really quickly. i don't think it's burnout, and i've tried the pomodoro technique and it doesn't work for me. i have 9 - 11 hours of sleep every night yet i don't know why i'm like this. a couple of months ago my doctor referred me to a clinic regarding adhd (if that matters here)
i feel lazy, and i hate it because i love being productive. i feel like i'm burnt out but i don't want to think like that because then that will be my mindset forever (like 'oh i'm not going to study because i'm burnt out and it's bad for my mental health). i did that a year ago when my end of year exams came up and i got really bad. like i told myself my 'mental health' is important so i'm going to do a little bit of revision then watch tv and chill. looking back at it, it was a bad decision lmao
how can i stop feeling worn out and lazy? this years' end of year exams are coming up in june-july and i need to revise a LOT of stuff but i can't make myself sit down and concentrate without getting distracted, worn or exhausted. help please
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
i've noticed when i'm studying i tend to get worn out really quickly. i don't think it's burnout, and i've tried the pomodoro technique and it doesn't work for me. i have 9 - 11 hours of sleep every night yet i don't know why i'm like this. a couple of months ago my doctor referred me to a clinic regarding adhd (if that matters here)
i feel lazy, and i hate it because i love being productive. i feel like i'm burnt out but i don't want to think like that because then that will be my mindset forever (like 'oh i'm not going to study because i'm burnt out and it's bad for my mental health). i did that a year ago when my end of year exams came up and i got really bad. like i told myself my 'mental health' is important so i'm going to do a little bit of revision then watch tv and chill. looking back at it, it was a bad decision lmao
how can i stop feeling worn out and lazy? this years' end of year exams are coming up in june-july and i need to revise a LOT of stuff but i can't make myself sit down and concentrate without getting distracted, worn or exhausted. help please

Hello! Honestly this might be a terrible suggestion and you might've already given it a go but have you tried using Seneca to revise? I also struggle with concentration and I've found that when I'm using Seneca I get distracted far less, the activities are not all the same and although the memes are cringey, they're sometimes helpful as a bit of moral support. Perhaps also revising for shorter periods and spreading them out through the day would help too.
Hey, have you been to see your GP? I had a lot of similar problems to you and it turned out I was low in Vitamin D, Iron and B12. Taking supplements and changing my diet made the biggest difference. It might be worth getting these checked instead of just feeling bad about being lazy!

Also, love the username! You must be a Grey's anatomy fan?
Original post by notbethan
Hello! Honestly this might be a terrible suggestion and you might've already given it a go but have you tried using Seneca to revise? I also struggle with concentration and I've found that when I'm using Seneca I get distracted far less, the activities are not all the same and although the memes are cringey, they're sometimes helpful as a bit of moral support. Perhaps also revising for shorter periods and spreading them out through the day would help too.

yeah i've used seneca a couple of times and when i think about it it actually makes sense haha
i'll try to use it more, thank you :smile:
Original post by micholate9
Hey, have you been to see your GP? I had a lot of similar problems to you and it turned out I was low in Vitamin D, Iron and B12. Taking supplements and changing my diet made the biggest difference. It might be worth getting these checked instead of just feeling bad about being lazy!

Also, love the username! You must be a Grey's anatomy fan?

oh my god i never thought about that, thank you
i haven't actually been taking those vitamins for a month now i keep forgetting, i'll defo start taking them now and hopefully it'll be a bit better :smile:
and yeah i'm a big grey's fan haha
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
oh my god i never thought about that, thank you
i haven't actually been taking those vitamins for a month now i keep forgetting, i'll defo start taking them now and hopefully it'll be a bit better :smile:
and yeah i'm a big grey's fan haha

I was sceptical when my GP pointed it out, but it was honestly life changing for me after a few weeks! I hope it works for you!

Love Grey's too! Was Arizona your favourite character then?
Original post by micholate9
I was sceptical when my GP pointed it out, but it was honestly life changing for me after a few weeks! I hope it works for you!

Love Grey's too! Was Arizona your favourite character then?

yeah i love arizona haha but i don't like the fact that she changed though, and when she cheated on callie
i loved her in the first few seasons that she came in and i still mostly like her
who's your favourite?

Quick Reply

Latest