The Student Room Group

Bristol or Bournemouth?

To summarise, I have an unconditional from Bournemouth and on a waiting list for Bristol, but I need to firm Bournemouth asap to get accommodation which would mean pulling out of Bristol. Really torn between the two.

Bristol is film and TV. It’s more of a wildcard course for me but one that perks my interest. It’s appealing because it’s a Russel group uni and also the city is nearby and easiest to get to. Really gorgeous city and overall just seems like a really nice uni, but concerned about the course generally and also the fact a city may feel claustrophobic as someone who grew up in a small town in the countryside.

Bournemouth on the other hand is a media course. It’s more generalised and has placements at Nintendo, Microsoft e.c.t. which is really appealing. Much better fit for me, and I like that it’s by the sea. My main concern is that there isn’t enough to do and that the town centre isn’t as attractive as Bristol. Also know I have the grades to aim higher and that employers would probably favour a Russel group university. Any thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to mention that accommodation is much cheaper at Bournemouth. I can easily afford the most expensive accommodation there, but barely afford a mid-range accommodation at Bristol.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hold out for an offer from Bristol.
If you want to work in the industry then go for the most practical course.
Original post by Oacio
I need to firm Bournemouth asap to get accommodation which would mean pulling out of Bristol.

No you don't.
And if Bournemouth are telling you this, please forward the relevant email to UCAS - [email protected]

It is against the UCAS agreement for any Uni to offer any form of incentive to make applicants go Firm with them, and that includes making up stories about accomodation. It isnt 'first come first served' whatever they tell you . If you think about it, plenty of people who apply for accommodation will be rejected on Results Day, will defer, change their minds, just not show up, or decide to live at home, and their rooms will be back in the mix - and rooms are not actually allocated until after Results Day anyway. You are not going to be homeless so stop panicing.

Go to Bristol. Its a top Uni and way ahead of Bournemouth.
This sort of decision could make a big differenece to your graduate job/life choices - and you want to make this decision based on a mythical 1st year bedroom that you havnt even seen?
Original post by Oacio
To summarise, I have an unconditional from Bournemouth and on a waiting list for Bristol, but I need to firm Bournemouth asap to get accommodation which would mean pulling out of Bristol. Really torn between the two.

Bristol is film and TV. It’s more of a wildcard course for me but one that perks my interest. It’s appealing because it’s a Russel group uni and also the city is nearby and easiest to get to. Really gorgeous city and overall just seems like a really nice uni, but concerned about the course generally and also the fact a city may feel claustrophobic as someone who grew up in a small town in the countryside.

Bournemouth on the other hand is a media course. It’s more generalised and has placements at Nintendo, Microsoft e.c.t. which is really appealing. Much better fit for me, and I like that it’s by the sea. My main concern is that there isn’t enough to do and that the town centre isn’t as attractive as Bristol. Also know I have the grades to aim higher and that employers would probably favour a Russel group university. Any thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to mention that accommodation is much cheaper at Bournemouth. I can easily afford the most expensive accommodation there, but barely afford a mid-range accommodation at Bristol.

Hi! What did you decide ? I’m going to Bournemouth this year for ecology. If you’re going to Bournemouth it would be nice talk before going !
Reply 5
Original post by jesswatt
Hi! What did you decide ? I’m going to Bournemouth this year for ecology. If you’re going to Bournemouth it would be nice talk before going !

Hey! I actually ended up doing a massive u-turn on my uni choices since neither felt right in terms of location and what I wanted to study. I rejected all of my offers and got into Cardiff through UCAS extra instead which has so far been the best decision of my life haha. I loved the look of Bournemouth but it just felt too small for me, and I wanted to be in a city as someone who's lived in a small town their whole life. It's gorgeous there though, so I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!
Original post by Oacio
Hey! I actually ended up doing a massive u-turn on my uni choices since neither felt right in terms of location and what I wanted to study. I rejected all of my offers and got into Cardiff through UCAS extra instead which has so far been the best decision of my life haha. I loved the look of Bournemouth but it just felt too small for me, and I wanted to be in a city as someone who's lived in a small town their whole life. It's gorgeous there though, so I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!

Okay! Hope you have a good time at Cardiff (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending