The Student Room Group

Economics in clearing

What unis usually have economics in clearing? (Ones with the highest grades)?

I tried to find a list from 2019-2021 but I can't find anything. I think my grades may be around ABC and my insurance course is AAB, so i'm unlikely to get in.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by STPZ

I tried to find a list from 2019-2021 but I can't find anything. I think my grades may be around ABC and my insurance course is AAB, so i'm unlikely to get in.

I’m in a similar situation apart from the unis I applied to I don’t want to go to. I want to go to better ones for marketing however they are so competitive they don’t have spaces. Subjects like: medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, business, econ, finance, accounting, marketing, PPE, law are the most popular courses at uni. The likely hood of them having spaces in clearing this year is unlikely. Ofc this depends on your uni, if you want to get into a top 30 uni I really doubt they will have spaces. This is what I found out. I would suggest just focusing on your grades I think I’m going to get ABC too but you know we want to aim for the best we can. Just focus on exams at the end of the day if you get ABC or ABB or AAB or even AAA you can then make decisions.

How I’ve looked at it is: if I get ABB then I can get into my desired unis but it’s going to have to be next year because they don’t have spaces. If I get ABC then it’s still the same situation they won’t have spaces even for unis that will let me in.

I suggest taking a gap year once you receive your results as you don’t know what you will get. Only once you got your results can you pick abs choose. Don’t rush a decision like uni, it’s £60k and 3-4years of your life. These are the years that are supposed to be the best you don’t want to end up in a uni that you didn’t want to go to in the first place.

Hope this helps
Original post by STPZ

books They stopped issuing list a few years back and it is now done online every year. What university had courses in previous years will be of no help as it is different every year an even more so this year with grade inflation expected again.

The best estimate of what is likely to be available this year can be obtained by using ucas course search filtering to show only courses available. Any universities not on there have closed their entries for this year. Those left might have spaces in clearing unless they are full by then. If you are interested in any university shown as open please ring the university to check as sometimes courses that are closed havent been removed
from the list.

The other issue to check with Economics is that you meet the Maths requirement. Many have a GCSE Maths level and sometimes A level as well. Without the appropriate level of Maths you will end up rejected in clearing as well.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
books They stopped issuing list a few years back and it is now done online every year. What university had courses in previous years will be of no help as it is different every year an even more so this year with grade inflation expected again.

The best estimate of what is likely to be available this year can be obtained by using ucas course search filtering to show only courses available. Any universities not on there have closed their entries for this year. Those left might have spaces in clearing unless they are full by then. If you are interested in any university shown as open please ring the university to check as sometimes courses that are closed havent been removed
from the list.

The other issue to check with Economics is that you meet the Maths requirement. Many have a GCSE Maths level and sometimes A level as well. Without the appropriate level of Maths you will end up rejected in clearing as well.

Thanks a lot! I'll keep checking on the ucas course search throughout the summer to see if courses are full/open. Appreciate the help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by R4V
I’m in a similar situation apart from the unis I applied to I don’t want to go to. I want to go to better ones for marketing however they are so competitive they don’t have spaces. Subjects like: medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, business, econ, finance, accounting, marketing, PPE, law are the most popular courses at uni. The likely hood of them having spaces in clearing this year is unlikely. Ofc this depends on your uni, if you want to get into a top 30 uni I really doubt they will have spaces. This is what I found out. I would suggest just focusing on your grades I think I’m going to get ABC too but you know we want to aim for the best we can. Just focus on exams at the end of the day if you get ABC or ABB or AAB or even AAA you can then make decisions.

How I’ve looked at it is: if I get ABB then I can get into my desired unis but it’s going to have to be next year because they don’t have spaces. If I get ABC then it’s still the same situation they won’t have spaces even for unis that will let me in.

I suggest taking a gap year once you receive your results as you don’t know what you will get. Only once you got your results can you pick abs choose. Don’t rush a decision like uni, it’s £60k and 3-4years of your life. These are the years that are supposed to be the best you don’t want to end up in a uni that you didn’t want to go to in the first place.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for your help!
I guess I'm very similar to you right now, I really am interested in marketing and was thinking of doing modules in it if possible. So are you doing a gap year too? How do you plan it out? Or are you waiting till the summer/after exams so you can focus on trying your best for now?

Would be nice to see how you did in the summer, but for now I wish you the best in your next few exams.
Chances of any of the 'top' Unis for Econ being in Clearing this year are slim - so don't get your hopes up.
And remember - 'higher grades requirement' does not equal 'better course' or ensure that you will be any happier at that Uni than any other.
Reply 6
Original post by STPZ
Thanks a lot for your help!
I guess I'm very similar to you right now, I really am interested in marketing and was thinking of doing modules in it if possible. So are you doing a gap year too? How do you plan it out? Or are you waiting till the summer/after exams so you can focus on trying your best for now?

Would be nice to see how you did in the summer, but for now I wish you the best in your next few exams.

Oh sweet! I’m going to be taking a gap year after I receive my results on 18th august. Unless that is there’s spaces in clearing for my unis such as Southampton, Exeter or bath (very unlikely).

I haven’t really planned anything out for my gap year. At the moment it’s just focusing on exams. Because then it gives me from 16th of June to plan for a gap year if I’m unsuccessful during clearing. I have a bucket list that I add stuff too so I think my plan for a gap year would be to get as much of that done as possible. Definitely try to travel to atleast 3 countrys and gain work experience in marketing or business. Learn to drive, learn to trade, maybe take up a new language e.c. With a gap year you and really do anything you want that’s why it’s so great. How we k don’t really have anyone to do any of it with so meeting new people will definitely be the highlight of it all!

Thank you so much for wishing me luck on my exams… your the first person to have said that to me!
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Chances of any of the 'top' Unis for Econ being in Clearing this year are slim - so don't get your hopes up.
And remember - 'higher grades requirement' does not equal 'better course' or ensure that you will be any happier at that Uni than any other.

That’s 100% true. I’ve seen marketing/business courses at places like LSE or imperial and I want to be cry because of how nasty their modules look to me. It’s a shame because their so highly ranked e.c but if their modules aren’t it then it’s just not worth doing. I’m considering Leicester over Exeter uni mainly due to the modules!
Reply 9

I agree. I think it’s just a psychological thing at this point. To say or to think you’ve managed to get into a high ranking uni vs one of lower rankings is just a feeling of self confidence/ego. Not necessarily a bad thing unless you just brag about it.

I see it kinda like driving a nice car (I’m a car guy). Ur oxbridge is your Bentley and rolls, RG is your Merc, BMW, Audi and the rest are like your Nissan, Ford, E.c. All of them are cars, all of them can take you to the shop and back, all of them do the same principles. But to have a Bentley or a rolls just feels nicer than to have a Nissan (not dissing them).

Idk if my concept makes sense but I think yk what I mean.
Reply 10
Original post by McGinger

That's true I guess, just hoping I can get one of my offers because I really enjoyed the city and uni when I went there
Reply 11
Original post by R4V
Oh sweet! I’m going to be taking a gap year after I receive my results on 18th august. Unless that is there’s spaces in clearing for my unis such as Southampton, Exeter or bath (very unlikely).

I haven’t really planned anything out for my gap year. At the moment it’s just focusing on exams. Because then it gives me from 16th of June to plan for a gap year if I’m unsuccessful during clearing. I have a bucket list that I add stuff too so I think my plan for a gap year would be to get as much of that done as possible. Definitely try to travel to atleast 3 countrys and gain work experience in marketing or business. Learn to drive, learn to trade, maybe take up a new language e.c. With a gap year you and really do anything you want that’s why it’s so great. How we k don’t really have anyone to do any of it with so meeting new people will definitely be the highlight of it all!

Thank you so much for wishing me luck on my exams… your the first person to have said that to me!

Sounds like an amazing plan! I never thought I would see someone in the same position as me :wink: let's work hard on these exams whatever happens happens maybe it was all meant to be.

See you soon! My exams finish around the same time but it's just a week after yours
Reply 12
Original post by STPZ
Sounds like an amazing plan! I never thought I would see someone in the same position as me :wink: let's work hard on these exams whatever happens happens maybe it was all meant to be.

See you soon! My exams finish around the same time but it's just a week after yours

Sounds like a plan. Dm me a message after your exams we can arrange something
Reply 13
Original post by R4V
Sounds like a plan. Dm me a message after your exams we can arrange something

Will do! Best of luck
I would recommend having a look at the government's changes to the student loan system as it means for the average student, university will cost a lot more if you're in the Sept-2023 intake rather than the Sept-2022 intake, so there are big implications for taking a gap year this year. Not saying you shouldn't do one, just recommend researching the financial implications of doing one this year specifically so you can make a more informed choice.
Reply 15
Original post by BenRyan99
I would recommend having a look at the government's changes to the student loan system as it means for the average student, university will cost a lot more if you're in the Sept-2023 intake rather than the Sept-2022 intake, so there are big implications for taking a gap year this year. Not saying you shouldn't do one, just recommend researching the financial implications of doing one this year specifically so you can make a more informed choice.

If you take a gap year and save enough… calculate it right and you could potentially off set the increased amount through saving from the gap year. Given that you put your savings in investments or high saving accounts it should definitely work better. Or learn trading. I would say if your smart with where to put your money and learn skills like trading you can definitely beat the cost of inflation, the rising repayment fees e.c. It’s just the time you need to be able to do it (which a gap year offers!)
Reply 16
Original post by BenRyan99

Yeah, this is something that really worries me because I wouldn't really want to take a gap year unless I have no choice because of my grades
Reply 17
Original post by STPZ
Yeah, this is something that really worries me because I wouldn't really want to take a gap year unless I have no choice because of my grades

I’m in the same situation dw. But we need the grades so…
Original post by R4V
If you take a gap year and save enough… calculate it right and you could potentially off set the increased amount through saving from the gap year. Given that you put your savings in investments or high saving accounts it should definitely work better. Or learn trading. I would say if your smart with where to put your money and learn skills like trading you can definitely beat the cost of inflation, the rising repayment fees e.c. It’s just the time you need to be able to do it (which a gap year offers!)

Just for context, it's estimated that the average university student will end up paying £15,000-19,000 more under these changes. Part of it is down to freezing the level of the salary where you start repayments whilst costs and wages are rising (thus more have to start repayments earlier). But the main change is that your student loan doesn't get written off after 30yrs, it's now 40yrs so if you're not recieving a pretty strong salary, you'll essentially be taxed an extra 9% of your income for your whole working life rather than just until your 50s.

Again, I only raise this to prompt you guys to do your own research with the knowledge of your own finances. Personally I wouldn't rely on things like the ability to learn to trade as a reason to incur a much greater uni cost, basically every a-level economics student thinks they will properly learn to trade, the reality is very different.

You'll know your own situation best though. Gap years can be really good if they're planned well. If you've got a gap year job lined up in the field that you want to work in going forward, or if you want to travel, etc. Personally I wouldn't recommend one if it's not all planned out. Also generally economics students are more likely to pay back their loans than other subjects due to the higher career earnings, although the grads from the top unis really drag the average up so earnings look better than they actually are if you're not at a top uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
Original post by R4V
I’m in the same situation dw. But we need the grades so…

If we did reapply next year then we could resit and get a lot higher grades, allowing us to go to some of the top level unis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending