The Student Room Group

Social work university placement disabled student

I intend to enroll to study social work in September but before I enrolling I wanted to know if this is the right course for me because I have arthritis in my knee and I wanted to know if it's a physical demanding job. I previously enrolled in mental health nursing but I couldn't continue the placement due to the physical, demanding nature of the job. Furthermore, I want to avoid wasting other precious years of my youth in a course where I won't be able to complete the placement training due to my disability. Please I need honest answers, any information would enlighten me regarding my future.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous 3456
I intend to enroll to study social work in September but before I enrolling I wanted to know if this is the right course for me because I have arthritis in my knee and I wanted to know if it's a physical demanding job. I previously enrolled in mental health nursing but I couldn't continue the placement due to the physical, demanding nature of the job. Furthermore, I want to avoid wasting other precious years of my youth in a course where I won't be able to complete the placement training due to my disability. Please I need honest answers, any information would enlighten me regarding my future.

Hi,
I am also hoping to study social work in sep (didnt get in tho so gunna try clearing).
I know someone who is a social worker and the job isn't too physically demanding - but there can be times during placements or the real job where it is as you will work with difficult people or have to attend physical activities. Don't let ur disability refrain you from doing what you enjoy.
Original post by rimaxtt
Hi,
I am also hoping to study social work in sep (didnt get in tho so gunna try clearing).
I know someone who is a social worker and the job isn't too physically demanding - but there can be times during placements or the real job where it is as you will work with difficult people or have to attend physical activities. Don't let ur disability refrain you from doing what you enjoy.

It's not as it seems , the life of a disabled person is oppressing itself, and I'm also a black person. Being black and disabled and poor It's just not the best combination to achieve something in the society.
I previously enrolled in mental health nursing and asked for reasonable adjustments for placement they later said that if I can't do the placement then I can't be a nurse even though I have a disability I need to cope with it. They said if I keep having issues with placement they would do me a fitness to practice and then I'll be expelled, so instead of being expelled i simply drop tout. It was an intensive year for me filled with depression, but I'm back on track, hoping new doors will open for my future. I'm definitely more conscious that my disability can stop me from obtaining what I want, that why I'm asking for help if anyone can advise me before enrolling.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous 3456
It's not as it seems , the life of a disabled person is oppressing itself, and I'm also a black person. Being black and disabled and poor It's just not the best combination to achieve something in the society.
I previously enrolled in mental health nursing and asked for reasonable adjustments for placement they later said that if I can't do the placement then I can't be a nurse even though I have a disability I need to cope with it. They said if I keep having issues with placement they would do me a fitness to practice and then I'll be expelled, so instead of being expelled i simply drop tout. It was an intensive year for me filled with depression, but I'm back on track, hoping new doors will open for my future. I'm definitely more conscious that my disability can stop me from obtaining what I want, that why I'm asking for help if anyone can advise me before enrolling.

Ur right, sorry if sounded ignorant by making it seem easy to not feel the way you feel. i wish you the best of luck
Reply 4
Hi, I'm also black, disabled and poor and a wheelchair user and had to drop out of an SLT placement so I understand your apprehension but I believe that if you can handle the mental strain then its the perfect course for those of us with real-life experience to bring to the career

Quick Reply

Latest