The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 1: 9FM0 01 - 25 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did the exam go for you?

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 1: Core Pure Mathematics 1 9FM0 01 - 25 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Wednesday 25th May PM
Length: 1h30

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

How is everyone feeling for this exam;

Advanced Information;

Paper 9FM0/01 Further Mathematics Core Pure 1
Complex numbers: Multiplication and division, conjugates
Complex numbers: Roots of polynomial equations, Argand diagram
De Moivre’s theorem; Volumes of revolution
Matrices: Inverse of a 3 × 3 matrix, singular and non-singular
Method of differences for summation of finite series
Improper integrals; Hyperbolic functions
Integration; Partial fractions
Inverse hyperbolic functions
Solution of first order differential equations
Solution of second order non-homogenous differential equations
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
A bit nervous, I think improper integrals and inverse hyperbolics are my weakest topics out of the bunch, what about you?
Original post by msyed04
A bit nervous, I think improper integrals and inverse hyperbolics are my weakest topics out of the bunch, what about you?

I'm nervous too given how AS Core pure went for AS students god only knows if there gonna put any sneaky things in this one.

How can vol of revolution be linked to De Moivre's Theorem

weakest topics is deffo differential equations
Original post by liamlarner
I'm nervous too given how AS Core pure went for AS students god only knows if there gonna put any sneaky things in this one.

My prediction is that it'll be a large power of a trig function, like y = cos^3(x) that we need to find the volume of revolution of, and then we'll use de moivres to represent as Acos(6x) + Bcos(4x) + Ccos(2x) + ... Which makes y^2 way easier to integrate... Something like that?

msyed04, I'm the same as you with improper integrals and hyperbolics being my weakest, worried most about that Q
Would just like to agree with the above and said exactly the same to my class. High chance that the way they link de moivres to volumes of revolution will be by expressing a high power trig function in terms of multiples of the argument. It makes a lot of sense.
The people who did the AS exam in my school reported that the advanced info was great, with one question per bullet point. I'm still a bit worried, not sure what to do in the lead up to the exam to feel prepared haha :/
Reply 7
Original post by jon nicholls
Would just like to agree with the above and said exactly the same to my class. High chance that the way they link de moivres to volumes of revolution will be by expressing a high power trig function in terms of multiples of the argument. It makes a lot of sense.

That's what i thought, and i think it would be quite a nice question albeit a bit long winded if the expression is long. I'm just worried they do what they did in the as paper and make the modelling side of it difficult to understand.
Original post by jon nicholls

Are there any past papers from any a level exam board that links vol of revolution with de moivres theorem so I can see the kind of the thing and what the mark scheme expects
Are there any past papers from any a level exam board that links vol of revolution with de moivres theorem so I can see the kind of the thing and what the mark scheme expects

I couldn't find any, but there's plenty of 'Show that sin^6(x) = Asin(6x) ... ' sort of q's and lots of vol of revolution ones too. I've been making my own problems up, but can imagine the mark scheme will be similar to how those two topics are usually marked.
Is there any way that sums of series with complex numbers will appear on the exam given the advance information? It doesn't sound like there is but does anyone/anyone's teachers think otherwise?

i found https://www.iitianacademy.com/ib-dp-maths-topic-6-5-volumes-of-revolution-about-the-x-axis-or-y-axis-hl-paper-1/ which is obv for the IBDP HL maths but it gave me an idea of how they could link it!

Sadly not as vols of rev was a C4 topic and de moivres was FP2 so they didn't really test these two topics together in the old syllabus. But you can kinda guess (and it is a guess, can't be guaranteed) what the most common uses are for de moivres when integrating. Stressedforexamlol has a good example of this in his link. I think its the fifth question down the page......
I've seen people have already stated that the De Moivre’s theorem and Volumes of revolution bullet point is most likely going to be doing an integration after using De Moivre’s, but does anyone have any clue as to what the "Improper integrals; Hyperbolic functions" bullet point question might be like? I'd assume it'll be a hyperbolic integration question but as an improper integral yet I haven't been able to find any practice questions which are like this or link the two topics. Anyone got any examples or ideas?
Original post by Someone019
I've seen people have already stated that the De Moivre’s theorem and Volumes of revolution bullet point is most likely going to be doing an integration after using De Moivre’s, but does anyone have any clue as to what the "Improper integrals; Hyperbolic functions" bullet point question might be like? I'd assume it'll be a hyperbolic integration question but as an improper integral yet I haven't been able to find any practice questions which are like this or link the two topics. Anyone got any examples or ideas?

think maybe integral of sech^2x between -infinity to infinity…
If they do put in any tricky questions then your best bet is to look at I.Y.G.B papers on madasmaths. They make doing the normal edexcel paper look easy.Also I'm feeling that they may make you do a hyperbolic trig substitution for improper integral question just to make it harder they won't tell you which trig sub to use.
Yeah improper integrals with hyperbolics might imply some kind of vertical asymptote somewhere. You could do this in lots and lots of different ways but off the top of my head sinh(x)/x? I'll do some maths and see if I can come up with a more refined example.
Do you think there will be any modelling with the second-order differential equations?
The exam boards topic tests have coupled differential equations, but nothing with regard to harmonic motion
Original post by Ethan034
Do you think there will be any modelling with the second-order differential equations?
The exam boards topic tests have coupled differential equations, but nothing with regard to harmonic motion

Personally, although it isn't specifically mentioned in advanced information, I don't feel as if we can confidently say it's not going to appear. We know there's going to be differential equations first and second order, so I think it's still possible there will be. I'm praying there isn't any harmonic motion, but I think I'm going to do some practice of it tomorrow just in case. Even if it doesn't appear, the questions are still good practice at differential equations.
I know 'GUYGOINGSCHOOL' already mentioned the I.Y.G.B. practice papers, but here is a link to a page with them on with worked solutions. Quite good stuff. Just scroll down for the 'I.Y.G.B. FP1 PRACTICE PAPERS' and the 'I.Y.G.B. FP2 PRACTICE PAPERS'

https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/edexcel-a-level-maths-past-papers/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending