The Student Room Group

Pens in exams

Hi all, Recently having a couple of my exams I have used a fine line black pen. Will it be okay as you can use a "black ink pen" but no gelpens or erasable ones?
You should be fine as Fine liners are similar to regular pens and the only reason the don't allow other types is because the scanner cannot read it as well
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you!!! So it should be fine I am going to bic pens commencing this week. Worried they won't scan... this is them (Original post by CloudyPenguin)You should be fine as Fine liners are similar to regular pens and the only reason the don't allow other types is because the scanner cannot read it as well
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ab2000019
Thank you!!! So it should be fine I am going to bic pens commencing this week. Worried they won't scan... this is them

yep they look fine :smile:.I think I used something similar in my biology mock and nobody has said anything. Anyways there is no need to worry as if they by any chance cannot read your work they will most likely ask for the physical copy to mark rather than discarding your paper
Reply 4
they can request normal copy?
(Original post by CloudyPenguin)yep they look fine :smile:.I think I used something similar in my biology mock and nobody has said anything. Anyways there is no need to worry as if they by any chance cannot read your work they will most likely ask for the physical copy to mark rather than discarding your paper
they can request normal copy?

As I am aware , yes
Reply 6
oh never knew that. I do mostly aqa and educas for english. They state black ink pen or ballpoint only (black ballpoint, not blue) so i'm guessing its fine. Many people are probably using them to be fair!
(Original post by CloudyPenguin)As I am aware , yes
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
I was told the heat smudges pens like gel pens. But mine doesnt smudge and dries suoer quick!(Original post by ab2000019)they can request normal copy?
(Original post by CloudyPenguin)yep they look fine :smile:.I think I used something similar in my biology mock and nobody has said anything. Anyways there is no need to worry as if they by any chance cannot read your work they will most likely ask for the physical copy to mark rather than discarding your paper
I was told the heat smudges pens like gel pens. But mine doesnt smudge and dries suoer quick!(Original post by ab2000019)they can request normal copy?

yep, that was just like my pen.
you should definitely be fine
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
It dries in like 15 seconds ish so yea. and i crossed with straight lines. Apparently if you scribble something happens?(Original post by CloudyPenguin)yep, that was just like my pen.
you should definitely be fine
It dries in like 15 seconds ish so yea. and i crossed with straight lines. Apparently if you scribble something happens?

I haven't heard that before. What exactly happens?
Reply 11
I was told not to scribble, doesn't show up when scanned or something so yes, but im sure its fine i accidnetally did it a little in english. Also for narrative i used arrows for words to be put in. this should be fine? And for maths paper i once crossed the full answer box out and wrote underneath but in the box. so they should see it? (Original post by CloudyPenguin)I haven't heard that before. What exactly happens?
I was told not to scribble, doesn't show up when scanned or something so yes, but im sure its fine i accidnetally did it a little in english. Also for narrative i used arrows for words to be put in. this should be fine? And for maths paper i once crossed the full answer box out and wrote underneath but in the box. so they should see it?

Everything should be fine as long as it is legible
For the maths exam was it in the border of the page?
Reply 13
Legible? Also yes it was inside border. Is using arrows to put words in legible?(Original post by CloudyPenguin)Everything should be fine as long as it is legible
For the maths exam was it in the border of the page?
Legible? Also yes it was inside border. Is using arrows to put words in legible?

By legible I mean clear to read and as long as it is in the border the examiner will mark it
Reply 15
My writing has never been the best but it is clear. WHat if it is not? Will it be sent to a different examiner? (Original post by CloudyPenguin)By legible I mean clear to read and as long as it is in the border the examiner will mark it
My writing has never been the best but it is clear. WHat if it is not? Will it be sent to a different examiner?

Honestly I'm not sure but I assume so
My writing looks like a really long signature 😂
Reply 17
My friend can't write properly. Their handwriting isnt the best. They wont give me no marks because every teacher has read my work without fault even new ones.(Original post by CloudyPenguin)Honestly I'm not sure but I assume so
My writing looks like a really long signature 😂
My friend can't write properly. Their handwriting isnt the best. They wont give me no marks because every teacher has read my work without fault even new ones.

There isn't really any advice I can give on handwriting since mine isn't great either .I would suggest just taking your time to write and not rushing your work.
Reply 19
It is readable and my englishteacher said it was good as she marks exams herself(Original post by CloudyPenguin)There isn't really any advice I can give on handwriting since mine isn't great either .I would suggest just taking your time to write and not rushing your work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending