The Student Room Group

Weird bowel movements so scared please help :((

Im 18 and female and or the last week I have had an increased frequency in bowel movements (going 2 or 3 times a day instead of 1 or less) and they have been looser and softer. I have also had mild stomach ache both in my upper and lower abdomen. A few times my stool has also been narrower. I'm absolutely terrified this is colon cancer please help what do I do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Im 18 and female and or the last week I have had an increased frequency in bowel movements (going 2 or 3 times a day instead of 1 or less) and they have been looser and softer. I have also had mild stomach ache both in my upper and lower abdomen. A few times my stool has also been narrower. I'm absolutely terrified this is colon cancer please help what do I do

:doctor:

/thread

Having said the above, it's highly unlikely to be colorectal cancer at age 18:

12885_2018_4786_Fig1_HTML.png

Source: https://bmccancer.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12885-018-4786-7
I agree with @Reality Check definitely see a doctor, it’s probably nothing serious, but it’s not anything anyone on TSR will be able to diagnose for you! It could be a stomach bug, it could be anxiety/stress, it could be IBS, or it could be something else. But only a doctor can tell you what it is
Original post by Squiggles1238
I agree with @Reality Check definitely see a doctor, it’s probably nothing serious, but it’s not anything anyone on TSR will be able to diagnose for you! It could be a stomach bug, it could be anxiety/stress, it could be IBS, or it could be something else. But only a doctor can tell you what it is

Ok I'll book a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I'm a bit worried though that they might brush me off because of my age :frown:
Ok I'll book a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I'm a bit worried though that they might brush me off because of my age :frown:

Hi, yes I completely understand why your age may be of concern for you, I have had trouble in the past with GPs brushing me off because of my age. Just be honest with them, and tell them how much of an impact its having on your everyday life
Hi, yes I completely understand why your age may be of concern for you, I have had trouble in the past with GPs brushing me off because of my age. Just be honest with them, and tell them how much of an impact its having on your everyday life

Ok I'll do that. I'm just so terrified and ik my parents are going to brush off my symptoms too because I have such bad health anxiety but I just want people to take me seriously :/
Ok I'll do that. I'm just so terrified and ik my parents are going to brush off my symptoms too because I have such bad health anxiety but I just want people to take me seriously :/

Again, I completely know how you feel, but just remember that how you are feeling is valid, and you deserve to be listened to. Just keep pushing with the doctors, make them listen to you
Again, I completely know how you feel, but just remember that how you are feeling is valid, and you deserve to be listened to. Just keep pushing with the doctors, make them listen to you

my mum has now insisted that she must come in with me so she can make sure I can talk about my anxiety as well as my symptoms. I'm now worried they will just say it is anxiety :frown:
Reply 9
Weird bowl movements is a symptoms of many things... do see a doctor, but dont stress yourself- it's very unlikely that its anything too serious like colon cancer.
my mum has now insisted that she must come in with me so she can make sure I can talk about my anxiety as well as my symptoms. I'm now worried they will just say it is anxiety :frown:

if you genuinely suffer with anxiety already, then it's highly likely it is caused by your anxiety, as there's a strong link between your bowel movements and anxiety. It's very common for anxiety-suffers to experience unpleasant bowel and stomach symptoms.
There is help available for you though, even if these symptoms are caused by anxiety, so I wouldn't worry!
if you genuinely suffer with anxiety already, then it's highly likely it is caused by your anxiety, as there's a strong link between your bowel movements and anxiety. It's very common for anxiety-suffers to experience unpleasant bowel and stomach symptoms.
There is help available for you though, even if these symptoms are caused by anxiety, so I wouldn't worry!

Yeah ig its just difficult for me to accept I need help for my anxiety when I'm in the middle of one of my fears. But I do want to learn how to cope when I get a new symptom so I don't spiral everytime

If it were caused by anxiety then OP likely would've experienced these symptoms before the age of 18... particularly when its as drastic and random of a change in bowl movements as OP described. IMO, at least. OP should still get checked out and not write it off as x y z, thats for the doctor to do.
Get checked out by a doctor and even ask to go in without your mother.

A symptom is a symptom. While anxiety disorders can easily cause gastrointestinal issues, other things can too.
Original post by Foxehh
If it were caused by anxiety then OP likely would've experienced these symptoms before the age of 18... particularly when its as drastic and random of a change in bowl movements as OP described. IMO, at least. OP should still get checked out and not write it off as x y z, thats for the doctor to do.

yeah don't worry i'm definitely going to get checked out!!
Original post by Foxehh

I mean different symptoms of anxiety can arise at any point throughout life, some of which they may never have experienced before. Furthermore, it depends on the level of anxiety the OP is currently dealing with, it may be higher than usual, and thus would likely place more stress on the nervous system, which may in turn produce these new bowel symptoms.
But yes I am completely with you, as I previously said, it's nothing anyone on TSR can diagnose for you, especially not over the internet. A doctor is the best person to go to for advise and diagnoses
yes, see your GP but please do not stress :smile: i bet everyone has experienced at least a temporary change in bowel movements at some point, whether it was due to changes in diet, food poisoning or allergies, stress, hormones/menstruation, pregnancy, medication, travelling. usually the simplest answer is the right one; plus it's only been a week you've experienced this, right?

i was worried myself a while back (different symptoms tho), spoke to GP who arranged for more tests, more than the average person let's just say because my family has a history of colon cancer and Crohn's disease. tests came back perfectly normal. is this something that runs in your family? if not even more reason to axe it off your list.
Original post by Genesiss
yes, see your GP but please do not stress :smile: i bet everyone has experienced at least a temporary change in bowel movements at some point, whether it was due to changes in diet, food poisoning or allergies, stress, hormones/menstruation, pregnancy, medication, travelling. usually the simplest answer is the right one; plus it's only been a week you've experienced this, right?

i was worried myself a while back (different symptoms tho), spoke to GP who arranged for more tests, more than the average person let's just say because my family has a history of colon cancer and Crohn's disease. tests came back perfectly normal. is this something that runs in your family? if not even more reason to axe it off your list.

No it doesn't run in my family. Thanks for the reassurance :smile:
See a doctor!!

I also had the same thing I think it was stress and if you’re noticing certain foods that trigger it then stop

Does it also float/ is yellow in colour? Maybe try and stop eating porridge and see it that helps

I’d recommend going for walks but do get it checked out
Also thanks everyone for replying I'm booking an appointment with my doctor today. I'm just a bit anxious because I already went last Wednesday for a possible UTI and I'm worried about going in again so quickly. I'm just scared of looking weird:/. Also does anyone know how to make it a definite phone call appointment because i don't really want to go in?

Quick Reply

Latest