The Student Room Group

Uni without gcse English mature student

Hi I wanted to go to uni in September but due to personal reasons missed the exam . The next one is in November. I’s there any way to get admission without gcse English language tho lol
Is there any chance of me getting admission for this September???
Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I wanted to go to uni in September but due to personal reasons missed the exam . The next one is in November. I’s there any way to get admission without gcse English language tho lol
Thanks

It's highly unlikely that any course at uni would waive a requirement for English GCSE. These GCSE requirements are usually non-negotiable.
Thanks

So you applied via UCAS and are a "home" student, right? You've received an offer, but that offer is conditional on achieving a particular grade in your English Language GCSE? Have I got that right?

I ask as the way your question is written makes me think that perhaps you've not even applied yet. Have you?

Do you have an English Language GCSE at all (at any grade)?

What course and university are we talking about?

Is there any chance you're eligible for a contextual offer? (I've seen universities lower - but not remove - GCSE grade requirements for Maths and English for such applicants.)
Thanks

sit the exam again, you'd feel much more secure and the boundaries are quite low/reasonable to achieve a pass mark minimum.
Have you tried taking the Functional skills exam? It's an alternative to a GCSE, and I'm quite sure that some universities to accept it if you don't have the GCSE English. Obviously you'll have to ring up and ask. Also, with the functional skills exams you can take it at anytime, rather than having a set date for it. But if it's the GCSE you are want, then 100% you should resit the exam and get that pass. Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DataVenia
So you applied via UCAS and are a "home" student, right? You've received an offer, but that offer is conditional on achieving a particular grade in your English Language GCSE? Have I got that right?

I ask as the way your question is written makes me think that perhaps you've not even applied yet. Have you?

Do you have an English Language GCSE at all (at any grade)?

What course and university are we talking about?

Is there any chance you're eligible for a contextual offer? (I've seen universities lower - but not remove - GCSE grade requirements for Maths and English for such applicants.)

I haven’t applied anywhere yet, I’ve got a D.
I wanted to apply to a London uni as i live here.
I’m not too picky about the uni but I was looking at computer science courses/ it
Original post by Leslie Knope
Have you tried taking the Functional skills exam? It's an alternative to a GCSE, and I'm quite sure that some universities to accept it if you don't have the GCSE English. Obviously you'll have to ring up and ask. Also, with the functional skills exams you can take it at anytime, rather than having a set date for it. But if it's the GCSE you are want, then 100% you should resit the exam and get that pass. Good luck!

Thanks. Is it possible to take it now and still apply to uni asap for this September start?
Original post by dahlia06
sit the exam again, you'd feel much more secure and the boundaries are quite low/reasonable to achieve a pass mark minimum.

Just don’t want to waste another year lol
I haven’t applied anywhere yet, I’ve got a D.
I wanted to apply to a London uni as i live here.
I’m not too picky about the uni but I was looking at computer science courses/ it

You're aware, I assume, that the main deadline for courses starting this September was last January? You can still apply, but only for courses which still have spaces left.

Take a look on UCAS here. It list the 17 courses from 5 providers in the South East which still have availability on computer science-related undergraduate degree courses. None are in London. Sorry. If you play with the filter criteria you might be able to find something, but I couldn't.

I think your best bet is to:
1. Check UCAS for courses starting next year which appeal.
2. Carefully check their entry requirements, including with respect to GCSE English.
3. Take your English GCSE in November.
4. Apply before via UCAS before January 25th (check that date) for courses starting in September 2023.

I'm assuming, by the way, that your A level grades / subjects (or equivalent) meet the entry requirements too. If they don't, you have a year to ensure they do.
Just don’t want to waste another year lol

if you do it in november its a few months away....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending