The Student Room Group

Im revising only the night before.... 😶

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue here??? I've only started to revise as GCSEs have started and it's come to the point where I haven't even looked at the subjects until the day before the exam... I'm so grateful for that 1 week we have in between so I can catch up with my revision.

Scroll to see replies

I literally revise the night before too. I find it works best for me as my memory is really bad so I like to refresh just before the exam. Plus, I'm not going to sacrifice my mental health to revise for 4 hours every day.
Reply 2
Original post by _Robyn_
I literally revise the night before too. I find it works best for me as my memory is really bad so I like to refresh just before the exam. Plus, I'm not going to sacrifice my mental health to revise for 4 hours every day.

lol i'm sry for laughing but that last part was funny.. but tbh i'm still in highschool and only use this site to see about a headstart on college but nothing makes any sense to me.. was this a good idea?
Original post by Shawn6
lol i'm sry for laughing but that last part was funny.. but tbh i'm still in highschool and only use this site to see about a headstart on college but nothing makes any sense to me.. was this a good idea?

Hahaha it's okay. It's true though. Out of all the people I know the ones that are constantly revising have a poor mental health. The student room can be useful but you can get some really weird people on here asking really weird questions too lol
Reply 4
Original post by _Robyn_
Hahaha it's okay. It's true though. Out of all the people I know the ones that are constantly revising have a poor mental health. The student room can be useful but you can get some really weird people on here asking really weird questions too lol

Yeah, most people in my school have depression and/or anxiety.. i also think i have depression but i haven't got it diagnosed.
Original post by _Robyn_

i can confirm that your second sentence is accurate (my friends too)
Original post by _Robyn_

I'm probably gonna sound like a **** here but past GCSE, 4 hours isn't really an insane length of time and sounds like a fairly reasonable target. Will probably work fine for GCSEs, though - depends how long you spread it over as well.
(edited 1 year ago)
I wouldn't get into the habit of this but if you're reasonably smart, you'll probably get through GCSEs fine revising only in the days before.
does anyone have any tips how to revise for french listening... i got reading & listening tomorrow, and im fluctuating between a 6/7 for it and i want to aim for an 8 overall. the listening aspect always brings down my grade because my writing is an 8 and reading + speaking are a high grade 7.
Original post by dahlia06
does anyone have any tips how to revise for french listening... i got reading & listening tomorrow, and im fluctuating between a 6/7 for it and i want to aim for an 8 overall. the listening aspect always brings down my grade because my writing is an 8 and reading + speaking are a high grade 7.

ahh sorry bestie, i do spanish.. best of luck though <3
Original post by _Robyn_

ah yeah you're right about the memory thing. Mines like that too, I don't remember anything we did last mocks even though they got me fairly good grades too
Original post by jnkscypher
ah yeah you're right about the memory thing. Mines like that too, I don't remember anything we did last mocks even though they got me fairly good grades too

im actually so glad we're sitting our gcses because my mocks were so **** and the boundaries are so high- like 70% is a 6 ....
ahh sorry bestie, i do spanish.. best of luck though <3

tysm u too! bro they speak so fast that i can't understand what jean or marco is saying, i just end up laughing for half the duration of it

Spoiler

im actually so glad we're sitting our gcses because my mocks were so **** and the boundaries are so high- like 70% is a 6 ....

omg our teachers just used the 2019 grade boundaries but slightly higher
tysm u too! bro they speak so fast that i can't understand what jean or marco is saying, i just end up laughing for half the duration of it

Spoiler

omg yes and idk if its like this w french aswell but in Spanish listening and reading its all just nonsense we haven't learnt ever and theyre really hard phrases were you need to look for a cognate in order to make sense of it . Alsooo make sure you tick any box if you dont know the q , dont leave any blanks!!
omg our teachers just used the 2019 grade boundaries but slightly higher

LMAOO
omg yes and idk if its like this w french aswell but in Spanish listening and reading its all just nonsense we haven't learnt ever and theyre really hard phrases were you need to look for a cognate in order to make sense of it . Alsooo make sure you tick any box if you dont know the q , dont leave any blanks!!

yh ikr, in the end of yr10 before we were put in tiers, we did this 'intermediate' listening and it was easy coz in a 3 points of a tick box question you would just have to hear one of them, but in the higher paper they say all THREE- but the p+n questions are the easiest because if you hear a 'however' or a 'but' you can pretty much guarantee what to tick.
in school we use this kerboodle online textbook right and because only 3 people in my class are doing higher, inc me, we haven't even started on the higher book at all, we finished the foundation book one week before our speaking exams...
LMAOO

yh ikr, in the end of yr10 before we were put in tiers, we did this 'intermediate' listening and it was easy coz in a 3 points of a tick box question you would just have to hear one of them, but in the higher paper they say all THREE- but the p+n questions are the easiest because if you hear a 'however' or a 'but' you can pretty much guarantee what to tick.
in school we use this kerboodle online textbook right and because only 3 people in my class are doing higher, inc me, we haven't even started on the higher book at all, we finished the foundation book one week before our speaking exams...

for us we were split up into tiers since yr 9, and majority of my class was foundation for 2 years then thankfully at the end of yr 10 they randomly decided to split the classes up and now we only have around 8 people doing foundation in my class so we just do higher content
Is anyone else experiencing the same issue here??? I've only started to revise as GCSEs have started and it's come to the point where I haven't even looked at the subjects until the day before the exam... I'm so grateful for that 1 week we have in between so I can catch up with my revision.

I'm in yr11 to and honestly its the same for me, they just up came soo quickly, I'm just trying to do as many questions as I can right now, hopefully we all get good results though
yh i revised night before for mocks and got 8s but that's because i spent like two weeks before that revising (only some subjects) i'd say one week per subject is more than enough

also how does this one week gap system work? (my gcses are next yr) like i looked on the aqa website, there are still like gcses back to back
sorry can someone explain this to me :smile:
for us we were split up into tiers since yr 9, and majority of my class was foundation for 2 years then thankfully at the end of yr 10 they randomly decided to split the classes up and now we only have around 8 people doing foundation in my class so we just do higher content

oh wow since y9? damn
bro my class makes me lose my sanity, i want to jump out the window at times- there are these kids who have been doing french for 5 years right and when we read the transcript they are like 'what does je mean' ..
i'm actually going to refrain myself from ranting.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest