The Student Room Group

Being A muslim teen in England

Do you guys find it hard being a Muslim teen in England? Friends always talking abt partying alcohol, drugs, s@x and it’s so hard to relate. What are your experiences in being a Muslim teen in the U.K.

Scroll to see replies

i’m not a muslim i’m hindu but i don’t drink, smoke or vape so can pretty much relate. the worst time for me was in sixth form !! (i’m on a gap year rn) but there was only ONE other person of colour in our whole bloody sixth form and we both took different subjects so most of the day felt v lonely as all the girls just sit in the bathrooms vaping at lunch time :s-smilie: my mom told me it’d be fine and i can try meet up with them at weekends but all they do is get drunk and then discuss them being drunk during the weekday as if there’s nothing else to talk about.

that’s prob one of the reasons i’m most excited for uni apart from studying my course ! getting to meet and make actual friends with similar interests 😭
Original post by Guru Jason
Lol sucks to be you. My teenage years were great. Didn't have to adhere to any rules lmao.

it's not about adhering to rules - i can drink if i want but i choose not to and im not adhering to any rules, the thread starter obviously doesnt want to partake in drinking and smoking and theyre just trying to explain that its annoying when people make drinking and smoking their only convo topic (its obvious ur trying to make religion look bad but try again)
i was in the exact same position until i found 2 muslims girls and we became friends, try to surround urself with other religious people
Original post by Anonymous
it's not about adhering to rules - i can drink if i want but i choose not to and im not adhering to any rules, the thread starter obviously doesnt want to partake in drinking and smoking and theyre just trying to explain that its annoying when people make drinking and smoking their only convo topic (its obvious ur trying to make religion look bad but try again)

I'm not trying to do anything except share may experience of being a teenager.

You want my advice? Do what you want, even if your religious. Its easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission.
Original post by aliaa03
i’m not a muslim i’m hindu but i don’t drink, smoke or vape so can pretty much relate. the worst time for me was in sixth form !! (i’m on a gap year rn) but there was only ONE other person of colour in our whole bloody sixth form and we both took different subjects so most of the day felt v lonely as all the girls just sit in the bathrooms vaping at lunch time :s-smilie: my mom told me it’d be fine and i can try meet up with them at weekends but all they do is get drunk and then discuss them being drunk during the weekday as if there’s nothing else to talk about.

that’s prob one of the reasons i’m most excited for uni apart from studying my course ! getting to meet and make actual friends with similar interests 😭

Same I’m so excited for uni most ppl in my college also smoke/vape and there’s one other poc in my class who’s Christian so she doesn’t do those things either, but yea uni is so exciting hopefully we will meet ppl similar to us

You want my advice? Do what you want, even if your religious. Its easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission.

:s-smilie: man what is this advice ?? at least muslims and hindu’s can have fun together without resorting to alcohol. the only problem is finding each other and making friends as we literally LIVE in an english country
Original post by aliaa03
:s-smilie: man what is this advice ?? at least muslims and hindu’s can have fun together without resorting to alcohol. the only problem is finding each other and making friends as we literally LIVE in an english country

Then why is being around others drinking alcohol an issue if you have no issue with it. Non religious people can have fun without drinking. They just do what makes them happy rather than what a book written by a man centuries ago tells them
Lol sucks to be you. My teenage years were great. Didn't have to adhere to any rules lmao.

Well, it does “suck” a little I guess, but only because I’m not surrounded by other people similar to me, however I choose to live this life, I know it will be worth it in the end, I could rebel and do whatever I like, but I have morals and drugs, alcohol and parties doesn’t appeal to me, I know it doesn’t more harm than good in the long run, I’m glad I have rules to adhere to because who knows what I would be like without them, I’d be astray, I find fun in other things than what most westerners do, and I enjoy hanging out with Muslim friends/ religious friends wayy more than people who just do whatever they like with no rules :smile:
Then why is being around others drinking alcohol an issue if you have no issue with it. Non religious people can have fun without drinking. They just do what makes them happy rather than what a book written by a man centuries ago tells them

Please be respectful of peoples religions.
Please be respectful of peoples religions.

Respect is earned , you cannot demand it of me. When it does something I deem respectful then I will.
(edited 1 year ago)
Respect is earned , you cannot demand it of me. When it does something I deem respectful then I will.

this is so funny 😭😭😭

i hope one day ur thrilling non religious life will teach you that you should always be respectful to others and try treat everyone with kindness :smile:

Exactly! I have this one friend, she knows I’m muslim obviously I wear a hijab, she always talks to me abt her bf and her s@x life which I couldn’t care less about and does not relate to me at all, it ends U.K. being really awkward bc I don’t knew what to say, I have no interest in knowing abt that I feel she just tells me so I can be somewhat jealous of her, even though I don’t care abt boyfriends or her relationship and it’s just really weird and uncomfortable
Do you guys find it hard being a Muslim teen in England? Friends always talking abt partying alcohol, drugs, s@x and it’s so hard to relate. What are your experiences in being a Muslim teen in the U.K.

Hey.
I have no idea as to where I should begin with. Life is so hard everywhere, but as a Muslim living in a non-Muslim, secular country, it is so much harder, with a countless of other factors that also contribute to the difficulties here, one prime example being social media.

Alhamdulillah, I live in an area where there are Muslims like me but also non-Muslims and an even stronger Alhamdulillah that I go to an Islamic school, a safe environment for other Muslims to be in. However, regardless, I have classmates who also discuss and do things that are very tempting to do like having a relationship or having sex and consuming harmful substances. Such things are not in our control. We can't judge or force people to stop what they're doing, but it's frustrating when their actions start to have an influence on other Muslims and represent us in a light that doesn't really define what Islam and what we are.

It is mentioned so many times in the Quran that life is a test and these temptations are part of that test. If YOU fight against those temptations, even if you're struggling, just remember you're being rewarded for every second of it.

My advice to you is firstly, I don't know if your friends are Muslims, but if they are, have you discussed with them what they're doing isn't acceptable and that they should find other means of entertainment or happiness that isn't something which would participate in haram? If they refuse to listen or understand you, and what they're doing is negatively influencing you, I would suggest to perhaps distance yourself from them and find new friends.

Secondly, turn to Allah. By this, I don't mean to imply that your personal connection with Allah is weak. What I mean is continue praying and asking Allah for help because surely He will guide you and help you. But if that isn't the case, once again I do not mean this in a disrespectful way, strengthen your relationship with Allah. Read and try to understand the Quran, pray your daily prayers, pray Tahajjud, consistently make dua throughout the day. He will listen!

I just want you to know that I feel the same way and so many other Muslims also feel this way. You don't need to do all those things to 'relate' and to 'fit in' with what people deem normal. If those are things that your friends or peers believe make you a better person, don't listen to them. You have a purpose and that purpose isn't to fit in with society. Remember, this life is temporary. Why suffer in the Hereafter for the pleasures of this temporary life when it could be the opposite? I don't want this to sound cliché, but note that it is deen>dunya.

I wish the best for you. May Allah shower us all with blessings and happiness and protect us from the world's evils. In'sha'Allah with the advice given by others and myself, I do hope you find a solution.

Okay well ur turning this thread into completely different from what it is lol, the thread was asking religious ppl to share their experiences so we could relate, instead of “my teenage years were lit” or wtv “I didn’t adhere to any rules” obviously that’s the western ideology but a lot of us grew up in cultured or religious households where we were taught morals
Original post by aliaa03
this is so funny 😭😭😭

i hope one day ur thrilling non religious life will teach you that you should always be respectful to others and try treat everyone with kindness :smile:

I am kind. In the words of the Doctor. Always try to be nice but never fail to be kind. Kindest is not niceness.

There is absolutely no reason op can go out with a group of people on a night out or go to the pub and watch the football etc without the need for alcohol. If its legal in the uk go for it.

Wanna go out with mates without drinking, good, do it.

:confused:
Okay well ur turning this thread into completely different from what it is lol, the thread was asking religious ppl to share their experiences so we could relate, instead of “my teenage years were lit” or wtv “I didn’t adhere to any rules” obviously that’s the western ideology but a lot of us grew up in cultured or religious households where we were taught morals

😭😭😭 this is literally a thread for MUSLIM people idk why this jason man is telling us about his life story when no one asked

Maybe bc we don’t want to be talking abt alcohol and drugs most the time when we don’t relate to it, also who wants to be at a party with drunk people while u don’t do that stuff
(edited 1 year ago)
im sorry to be rude but these non-religious people are really annoying me... you were clearly asking for other RELIGIOUS peoples experiences and people always try to change it and make it seem like alcohol is worth it like no thats not what she asked

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending