The Student Room Group

Hi I'm struggling with Spanish essay writing

If anyone else has any model essays or tips please send and we can use this thread as an AS/A level Spanish essay forum thingy thx
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roxibox123
If anyone else has any model essays please send and we can use this thread as a Spanish essay forum thingy thx

What type of essay do you need? A Level, gcse, etc
what movie/books are u doing? for a level i mean
Original post by josefinaarrieg
what movie/books are u doing? for a level i mean

Volver and Como Agua para chocolate
Hi I'm doing El Laberinto del Fauno and La Casa de los Espiritus

both the essays are pretty much the same and from what I understand you just follow these steps:
- figure out what they want from you. Do you have to analyse? Do you have to justify?
- Lay out 2-3 points of literary or contemporary context, i.e. events that happen in the story or things that influenced the writer/director
- Write your intro, ideally 2-3 sentences long, and something like:
- Sentence 1: 'Para responder a esta pregunta, es necesario analizar/determinar/justificar...' and then just kind of reword the question so it fits.
- Sentence 2: 'Para llevar esto a cabo...' and then just briefly explain the process you will use to reach your conclusion
- Don't add any examples to your intro - that's for later

- Then you work your 2-3 points into 2/3 paragraphs, not too long and as concise and simple as possible. Try and use the most obvious examples/points where you can. Just like GCSE English it's: sentence 1 = point, sentence 2 = evidence (example) sentence 3 = explain how the evidence links to the point, and sentence 4 = Link back to the question!!! How do the first 3 sentences contribute to answering the question?
Never forget to link back to the question. It feels very repetitive but it's necessary.

- The conclusion: Around 2 sentences long and should be similar to the intro, whilst also taking into account the examples you used. Don't add anything new!!

I know this all sounds a bit weird but it's worked for me!
Good luck!
Original post by ihave4heads
Hi I'm doing El Laberinto del Fauno and La Casa de los Espiritus

both the essays are pretty much the same and from what I understand you just follow these steps:
- figure out what they want from you. Do you have to analyse? Do you have to justify?
- Lay out 2-3 points of literary or contemporary context, i.e. events that happen in the story or things that influenced the writer/director
- Write your intro, ideally 2-3 sentences long, and something like:
- Sentence 1: 'Para responder a esta pregunta, es necesario analizar/determinar/justificar...' and then just kind of reword the question so it fits.
- Sentence 2: 'Para llevar esto a cabo...' and then just briefly explain the process you will use to reach your conclusion
- Don't add any examples to your intro - that's for later

- Then you work your 2-3 points into 2/3 paragraphs, not too long and as concise and simple as possible. Try and use the most obvious examples/points where you can. Just like GCSE English it's: sentence 1 = point, sentence 2 = evidence (example) sentence 3 = explain how the evidence links to the point, and sentence 4 = Link back to the question!!! How do the first 3 sentences contribute to answering the question?
Never forget to link back to the question. It feels very repetitive but it's necessary.

- The conclusion: Around 2 sentences long and should be similar to the intro, whilst also taking into account the examples you used. Don't add anything new!!

I know this all sounds a bit weird but it's worked for me!
Good luck!

Just to add to that, don’t forget to insert context where necessary- this is basically the same as me. Make sure you don’t tell the story because examiners don’t like that.
Original post by evakesiax
Just to add to that, don’t forget to insert context where necessary- this is basically the same as me. Make sure you don’t tell the story because examiners don’t like that.

Yes! Teachers are always telling the to talk about the director’s/writer’s perspective/point of view when explaining my point.

Im doing La Casa de Bernarda Alba and Ocho Apellidos Vascos
Original post by josefinaarrieg
Yes! Teachers are always telling the to talk about the director’s/writer’s perspective/point of view when explaining my point.

Im doing La Casa de Bernarda Alba and Ocho Apellidos Vascos

I know we aren't doing the same text/film but would you like me to show you my paper 2 from my mock this year where I got an A* (78/80)
(volver/la casa de bernarda alba)
does anyone else write practice essays for homework that end up at 700-900 words (I know, not great) and then wonder how on earth to get the same mark with a 400 word condensed version? is it literally one sentence per point/evidence/explain author's point/link?
Original post by bookausten
(volver/la casa de bernarda alba)
does anyone else write practice essays for homework that end up at 700-900 words (I know, not great) and then wonder how on earth to get the same mark with a 400 word condensed version? is it literally one sentence per point/evidence/explain author's point/link?

I do volver and I manage to get it to 400 and still come out with an a*. for the opening point, it's one sentence. your evidence shouldn't be long because you aren't telling the story you merely giving an example. then with the explanation, you should include your context because this is 50% of the mark on the paper (AO4). I would recommend about 2/3 sentences with this but also talk about how it is reflected/influences the plot/story overall. The link back to the question should be 1 sentence. If you would like, I can send you my mock paper I did this year. I got 78/80 overall and 40/40 on the volver essay.
t
I do volver and I manage to get it to 400 and still come out with an a*. for the opening point, it's one sentence. your evidence shouldn't be long because you aren't telling the story you merely giving an example. then with the explanation, you should include your context because this is 50% of the mark on the paper (AO4). I would recommend about 2/3 sentences with this but also talk about how it is reflected/influences the plot/story overall. The link back to the question should be 1 sentence. If you would like, I can send you my mock paper I did this year. I got 78/80 overall and 40/40 on the volver essay.

oh that would be fantastic, thank you so much! + thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by bookausten
oh that would be fantastic, thank you so much! + thanks for the advice :smile:

I’ll pm you now
I'm doing el laberitno and La casa de Bernarda
Hiya could u send it to me aswell plz
Does anyone have a good essay for pans ?
Hiya could u send it to me aswell plz

It;ll be a bit different because i'm not doing your text or film but I can send it
Yeah plz xx
Does anyone have a good essay for pans ?

what exam board and what film/book??
i have a list of really good essays to plan, from AQA (and some on edexcel ) on La Casa de Bernarda Alba and Ocho Apellidos Vascos

Please could you send this to me as well 🙏
Thanks!

One of my teachers says we shouldn't use context and the other says yes so now I'm really confused
Original post by Mellow_yell.ow
Please could you send this to me as well 🙏
Thanks!

One of my teachers says we shouldn't use context and the other says yes so now I'm really confused

Depending on the text and the question but i believe u should always use context bc thats why things are written in that way/ the message of the writer

Quick Reply

Latest