The Student Room Group

Opticians Appointment

I am a glasses wearer and last had an eye test in April 21.I was advised to have my next test in April 23. At the moment I am getting headaches and episodes of dizziness daily. Does anyone have any experience of this, I am thinking it may be time for an updated prescription but I feel awkward going to the optician if its not this due to being advised a 2 year gap?
Original post by Anonymous
I am a glasses wearer and last had an eye test in April 21.I was advised to have my next test in April 23. At the moment I am getting headaches and episodes of dizziness daily. Does anyone have any experience of this, I am thinking it may be time for an updated prescription but I feel awkward going to the optician if its not this due to being advised a 2 year gap?

I had this exact thing! I just explained I was getting headaches and they retested me after a year and gave me a new prescription without any fuss. Just tell them that you're experiencing problems and they will be more than happy to accommodate you.
Original post by PhantomMercy
I had this exact thing! I just explained I was getting headaches and they retested me after a year and gave me a new prescription without any fuss. Just tell them that you're experiencing problems and they will be more than happy to accommodate you.

Thankyou. The biggest challenge is trying to find a pair of glasses that fit my face (extremely small head) which is also what is putting me off, although Vision Express were helpful previously!

I am a trainee accountant so I would imagine heavy computer use probably has a lot to do with it!
Thankyou. The biggest challenge is trying to find a pair of glasses that fit my face (extremely small head) which is also what is putting me off, although Vision Express were helpful previously!

I am a trainee accountant so I would imagine heavy computer use probably has a lot to do with it!

I think it was computer use for me too lol. I spend too much time in front of a computer working when I should probably start taking breaks!
Original post by PhantomMercy
I think it was computer use for me too lol. I spend too much time in front of a computer working when I should probably start taking breaks!

Yes, I definitely do not take the recommended breaks!

The April 2023 test they advised was a routine eye test -- effectively "if you don't have any vision problems in the interim, then come back in two years time". It's the equivalent of a dentist saying "next check-up in 12 months time" -- if you get a toothache 3 months after your check-up, they won't object to treating your for it, and you shouldn't feel awkward.
Reply 6
The timing is for routine check-up if any issues arise in the meanwhile it’s completely fine to make an appointment. For the symptoms you describe you could also try your GP for advice
I usually tell my patients to come every half a year just to monitor the progress and check the eye health. They usually come every year or so.
Original post by martin7
The April 2023 test they advised was a routine eye test -- effectively "if you don't have any vision problems in the interim, then come back in two years time". It's the equivalent of a dentist saying "next check-up in 12 months time" -- if you get a toothache 3 months after your check-up, they won't object to treating your for it, and you shouldn't feel awkward.

That definitely makes me feel a lot better - I have now made an appointment online and await a phone call for confirmation that it is booked in!
Original post by Kathy89
I usually tell my patients to come every half a year just to monitor the progress and check the eye health. They usually come every year or so.

You must be a good optician and really care for your patients eye health - I have never know an optician be so open to see me more than once a year!
Original post by Zarek
The timing is for routine check-up if any issues arise in the meanwhile it’s completely fine to make an appointment. For the symptoms you describe you could also try your GP for advice

I was thinking this also but I have a phobia of going to see the GP - every time I walk into a doctors surgery I almost pass out (turn white, and feel very feint) so I am hoping that my suspicions are correct and it is time for a change in glasses prescription...again...
my prescription tends to change more often than every two years so i always book sooner, they've not once complained about me going sooner.
Original post by claireestelle
my prescription tends to change more often than every two years so i always book sooner, they've not once complained about me going sooner.

That's a relief! I already have a pretty high prescription for a young person so hoping it hasn't changed too much but enough for me to notice with these headaches and dizziness episodes!
You must be a good optician and really care for your patients eye health - I have never know an optician be so open to see me more than once a year!

I usually work with interesting cases (I work for a company importing custom made lenses, mainly from the UK). I love seeing my patients. Some of them can't function without lenses so they must take really good care of their eyes. It is more about the health of the eye rather than prescription I care about. Teens and young adults tend to a more frequent change.
Original post by Kathy89
I usually work with interesting cases (I work for a company importing custom made lenses, mainly from the UK). I love seeing my patients. Some of them can't function without lenses so they must take really good care of their eyes. It is more about the health of the eye rather than prescription I care about. Teens and young adults tend to a more frequent change.

Yes, with both eyes at -5.00 I certainly could not function without my lenses, I am heavily reliant on them for everything I do. I am 22 at the minute so I would imagine that the frequent changes applies here?
Yes, with both eyes at -5.00 I certainly could not function without my lenses, I am heavily reliant on them for everything I do. I am 22 at the minute so I would imagine that the frequent changes applies here?

Unfortunately, yes.
Original post by Kathy89
Unfortunately, yes.

Thankyou for your support in this matter. Today I have had an updated eye test with my local VE although I was not amused with their response - 'your next appointment is not due until next April'.

However, I was right to go as my prescription had changed significantly by 0.75 in each sph making this equate to -0.6 and the axis by 15 in the right eye.

I always struggle to find frames that I like so have gone for a reglaze in my current frames and look forward to receiving next week. Hopefully this should eliminate the headaches!

Quick Reply

Latest