The Student Room Group

Do Oxford colleges give you a cupboard under lock and key?

Hi everyone! I have an offer to study Materials Science at Mansfield! Over the past two days I’ve been super anxious about having my stuff stolen from my room (yes I’m an overthinker). Considering that I might be leaving my laptop etc in my room sometimes, I’d want to secure it.So my question to anyone who knows is that does Mansfield accommodation have any cupboards/ drawers which can be locked? Or is there any way to bring my own safe to college accommodation (of course leaving aside the fact that it can be lifted and taken away). Maybe a safe that can be tethered to something else? Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
I had a desk with a locking drawer (Pembroke).
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
I had a desk with a locking drawer (Pembroke).

That relieves me a bit, thanks! Did you ever hear about people getting their stuff stolen while you lived in college accommodation?
Reply 3
Original post by ghostcake
That relieves me a bit, thanks! Did you ever hear about people getting their stuff stolen while you lived in college accommodation?

Honestly, no. The odd thing out of a shared fridge but never from a room.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
Honestly, no. The odd thing out of a shared fridge but never from a room.

Oh, phew!
:smile:
Reply 5
Hi everyone! I have an offer to study Materials Science at Mansfield! Over the past two days I’ve been super anxious about having my stuff stolen from my room (yes I’m an overthinker). Considering that I might be leaving my laptop etc in my room sometimes, I’d want to secure it.So my question to anyone who knows is that does Mansfield accommodation have any cupboards/ drawers which can be locked? Or is there any way to bring my own safe to college accommodation (of course leaving aside the fact that it can be lifted and taken away). Maybe a safe that can be tethered to something else? Thanks in advance!

the rooms will have locks on them dw (they do at every room in cambridge anyway)
Really you've got to worry about making sure your door (and window if you are on the ground floor) is locked. That oversight is how most of these thefts happen, especially open windows I think.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
Really you've got to worry about making sure your door (and window if you are on the ground floor) is locked. That oversight is how most of these thefts happen, especially open windows I think.

Okay! That makes sense :smile:
I did read about some people leaving their things unattended in libraries and having them stolen, but that’s just plain carelessness on their part…
Like other people have said, there will be a lock on the door of your room (that's true in all student accommodation in the UK that I've ever seen). You'll have either a physical key or a card, depending on how new the systems are.

If you are specifically worried about your laptop, does it have a security cable fitting? A cable looped round a suitable bit of furniture / water pipe is much easier than a safe or locked cupboard as you don't have to remember to put it away every time you go out. I mean, I wouldn't bother, I don't know anyone who does, but it would be cheap and easy to do if you find it reassuring.
Okay! That makes sense :smile:
I did read about some people leaving their things unattended in libraries and having them stolen, but that’s just plain carelessness on their part…

Yup, don't leave stuff unattended, don't leave doors/windows open, lock doors, if you're on the ground floor don't have your stuff displayed when you're not there, and so on. All common sense really
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by skylark2
Like other people have said, there will be a lock on the door of your room (that's true in all student accommodation in the UK that I've ever seen). You'll have either a physical key or a card, depending on how new the systems are.

If you are specifically worried about your laptop, does it have a security cable fitting? A cable looped round a suitable bit of furniture / water pipe is much easier than a safe or locked cupboard as you don't have to remember to put it away every time you go out. I mean, I wouldn't bother, I don't know anyone who does, but it would be cheap and easy to do if you find it reassuring.

It does not have a security cable fitting, although I did find a Kensington locking station which works with macs, so I’ll probably get that. It does give the screen a significant risk of being cracked :frown:
I’d have to keep my passport safe as well but from what everyone’s been saying, there don’t seem to have been many instances of being robbed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending