The Student Room Group

Integration quick question

How did they integrate this in one step2312ED0E-6AFA-4BB4-91EE-4AB1A9036ACC.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Htx_x346
How did they integrate this in one step2312ED0E-6AFA-4BB4-91EE-4AB1A9036ACC.jpeg

Its really just the (reverse) chain rule.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Its really just the (reverse) chain rule.

OHHH
i was tryna do integration by parts lol
how do you identify when to use reverse chain rule?
OHHH

f'(x)/f(x)
OHHH

It comes with practice and recognizing patterns.
But usually when one part of the integrand is the derivative of the other, reverse chain rule (i.e. substitution) is the way.

For instance, for this question, the numerator is the derivative of whatever is inside the square root in the denominator. so letting u="stuff inside square root" is natural.

Sidenote: Try considering substitution before IBP. Integrals requiring IBP often has a function you want to differentiate.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tonyiptony
It comes with practice and recognizing patterns.
But usually when one part of the integrand is the derivative of the other, reverse chain rule (i.e. substitution) is the way.

For instance, for this question, the number is the derivative of whatever is inside the square root in the denominator. so letting u="stuff inside square root" is natural.

Sidenote: Try considering substitution before IBP. Integrals requiring IBP often has a function you want to differentiate.

Thank you but what do you mean by “often has a function you want to differentiate” ?
Thank you but what do you mean by “often has a function you want to differentiate” ?

Say the good ol' classic xexdx\int xe^x dx.
Wouldn't it be nice to differentiate the stray xx, just to make it go away? IBP works here.

Another one would be lnxdx\int \ln{x} dx.
We don't know how to integrate lnx\ln{x}, but differentiating it is super easy. IBP also works perfectly here.

There are some clues, usually. Like a logarithmic function, an inverse trig function, a stray x^n, that is way more convenient to differentiate; or something like a product of 2 types of functions (e.g. exsinxdx\int e^x \sin x dx), etc. Try to do more integrals and see if you can discover some other clues yourself!
Reply 7
Original post by tonyiptony
Say the good ol' classic xexdx\int xe^x dx.
Wouldn't it be nice to differentiate the stray xx, just to make it go away? IBP works here.

Another one would be lnxdx\int \ln{x} dx.
We don't know how to integrate lnx\ln{x}, but differentiating it is super easy. IBP also works perfectly here.

There are some clues, usually. Like a logarithmic function, an inverse trig function, a stray x^n, that is way more convenient to differentiate; or something like a product of 2 types of functions (e.g. exsinxdx\int e^x \sin x dx), etc. Try to do more integrals and see if you can discover some other clues yourself!

For the first example wouldn’t it just be easier to use reverse chain rule?
For the first example wouldn’t it just be easier to use reverse chain rule?

Well, what do you reckon the substitution would be?
Original post by wiseowlz72
f'(x)/f(x)

Thats not quite right here as that would integrate to ln(|f(x)|), which isn't the case here. For the OP, its one thing to try and in this case it would be easier to spot if you wrote it as
x * (4-x^2)^(-1/2)
Then you can spot that its of the form
k * du/dx * u^(-1/2)
where u = 4-x^2 and k is a constant. So it integrates to something like
u^(1/2)
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest