The Student Room Group

My exam has been sabotaged!

Sociology has always been my favorite subject, in my mocks I gotten As. My sister hates it when I do well. I woke up sweaty smelling like BO because of the stress and I told her to quickly use the toilet before me so I could have a shower without interruptions. As she walked to the toilet she turned around with a smile on her face and said " I feel like having a nice long shower now" and slammed the door. She took OVER AN HOUR in the shower so I had to go to my exam smelling awful. When I was lining up I could hear people talk about how bad I smelt and when I sat down in the hall I could feel people looking at me including my crush. I was so upset and uncomfortable it took me around 30 minutes for me to regain my focus. Because of this wasted time I missed the 30 mark question. I am probably going to get a B or a C which is still good but not a reflection of all the hard work I have done. So I have 3 questions: 1. Is it my fault I did not finish my exam or my sister's fault? 2. Can I retake in November while at university so I can satisfy my need to get an A*. 3. Do you think I can explain this to my university and get a contextual offer because I don't want to do a foundation year. I would really appreciate any advice.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

You always have the ability to retake it, and next time you could just shower the night before
Original post by ItsChogz
You always have the ability to retake it, and next time you could just shower the night before

I did but I sweat so much overnight much when I am stressed so even if I shower at night I will wake up smelly.
(edited 1 year ago)
You don't get contextual offers based upon what happens in a particular exam. You get contextual offers because of circumstances which have impacted your entire education - like having been in care, attending a poor performing school, living in a deprived neighborhood, etc.

What I think you're talking about is called "special consideration", whereby the school can advise the exam board of some specific circumstance which impacted your performance on that day, like having a relative die the day before, breaking your leg, etc.

Not being able to shower before the exam isn't going to qualify, unfortunately.
Original post by DataVenia
You don't get contextual offers based upon what happens in a particular exam. You get contextual offers because of circumstances which have impacted your entire education - like having been in care, attending a poor performing school, living in a deprived neighborhood, etc.

What I think you're talking about is called "special consideration", whereby the school can advise the exam board of some specific circumstance which impacted your performance on that day, like having a relative die the day before, breaking your leg, etc.

You are right. I just feel that it was so unfair. Be honest was it my fault that I did not finish the exam or my sister's fault?
Reply 5
you sound like katie from skins lol
no offence but you could have just washed from a sink or something
yh ur sister sounds annoying but it's ur life
Original post by rebelw
you sound like katie from skins lol
no offence but you could have just washed from a sink or something
yh ur sister sounds annoying but it's ur

I woke up in a pool of sweat, how could I wash my whole body in a sink? Thanks for being honest though. I am assuming Katie is a drama queen lol.
This seems like nonsense.
Reply 8
Original post by Leen23
I woke up in a pool of sweat, how could I wash my whole body in a sink? Thanks for being honest though. I am assuming Katie is a drama queen lol.

I'm just saying use ur initiative in future
where there's a will there's a way. coulda even gone to ur neighbours or showered at school
Original post by YaliaV123
This seems like nonsense.

Why? I made the exam hall smell like body odor. Would you be able to focus if something that embarrassing happened to you.
Original post by rebelw
I'm just saying use ur initiative in future
where there's a will there's a way. coulda even gone to ur neighbours or showered at school

I barely know my neighbours and the bus comes at 8 so I would not have time to shower at school. I keep replaying the situation in my mind and I can't find a way I could have gotten rid of the smell.
Original post by Leen23
I barely know my neighbours and the bus comes at 8 so I would not have time to shower at school. I keep replaying the situation in my mind and I can't find a way I could have gotten rid of the smell.

coulda taken an uber to school
gone to a friend or a relative's
found a way to force ur sister out of the bathroom
Original post by rebelw
coulda taken an uber to school
gone to a friend or a relative's
found a way to force ur sister out of the bathroom

Omg, if I could have done that I would. I live in the countryside, it is very hard to find an Uber. How could I force my sister out of the bathroom, she would be naked and she is 16... I don't think you will understand the situation unless you have been in it. If you were in the exam hall making other people feel sick, would you be able to focus? baring in mind your crush can smell it.
Original post by Leen23
Omg, if I could have done that I would. I live in the countryside, it is very hard to find an Uber. How could I force my sister out of the bathroom, she would be naked and she is 16... I don't think you will understand the situation unless you have been in it. If you were in the exam hall making other people feel sick, would you be able to focus? baring in mind your crush can smell it.

oh you live in the countryside
I'm sorry
idk those kind of things just don't seem to happen to me
Original post by rebelw
oh you live in the countryside
I'm sorry
idk those kind of things just don't seem to happen to me

It's fine. I am happy you are being honest though. I want to blame myself because it is easier to forgive myself rather than try and forgive my sister who does not have good intentions. I do not want to resent her for this. Be honest do you think it is my fault overall though?
Original post by DataVenia

Unrelated to the original post, but can a person actually be considered for a contextual offer after an offer has been received? I do have ongoing circumstances that have profoundly impacted my progress but I thought little about informing the university about it until they worsened and I'm literally sitting my exams right now whilst I go through them. You reckon I could explain this change in circumstances to my university of choice?

Also, my circumstances do qualify as unforeseen and they meet the general requirements.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by abdullaaah
Unrelated to the original post, but can a person actually be considered for a contextual offer after an offer has been received? I do have ongoing circumstances that have profoundly impacted my progress but I thought little about informing the university about it until they worsened and I'm literally sitting my exams right now whilst I go through them. You reckon I could explain this change in circumstances to my university of choice?

Not all universities make contextual offers, and some only make then for specific courses. So check the web site for the university/universities from which you've received an offer to establish what their rules are for contextual offers. Every university will have different rules, so you need to check them one-by-one. If you think you meet their criteria, but haven't received a contextual offer, then contact the admissions office.

Original post by abdullaaah
Also, my circumstances do qualify as unforeseen and they meet the general requirements.

This confuses me. Eligibility for a contextual offer is not based upon unforeseen circumstances, it is based on the school you attend, where you live, if money is tight at home, if your parents went to university themselves, if you have been in care, if you have cared for a family member, etc., etc. (this list from here). These circumstances are not temporary or unforeseen in nature.

The concept of "unforeseen circumstances" is more likely to make you eligible for "special consideration" by the exam boards when your paper is marked. If you think this applies to you, contact your school. They will need to source evidence and then submit that to the exam board on your behalf. The exam board can then "tweak" your percentage up slightly. See A guide to the special consideration process for all the details.
I kinda feel bad for everyone who had to take the exam with you. You're going on about how your sister inconvenienced you so much but imagine being stuck in a room with a disgusting smell? I'm pretty sure it was distracting to everyone else and you probably made someone else get a crap grade too. You can blame your sister all you want but it seems like you know she's like this (and that she knows about your BO issue), so you should've gotten up extra early to shower and avoided her. Considering you're doing A levels, you're probably 18+, you need to take responsibility and not blame your sister. If you really want an excuse, just use covid as one and say doing online lessons/being out of college with covid is what caused you to fall behind.
You don't sound old enough to do A-levels, this reads like something a 12 year old made up to try to be funny

There is no November resit and contextual offers aren't for that
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Leen23
Do you think I can explain this to my university and get a contextual offer

Contextual offers are fir those from low performing schools or with substantial lifetime disadvange,
Not someone who couldnt get into the bathroom.

PS. Folks - suspect TROLL - please dont respond any further,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending